Pete

There is only one way to find out (buy it) you no like stick it on ebay like you do ;) payback :P

Neil as usual you are right, but you being a man of empathy, concerning the none league, swearing forumers like me, there is another way to get your hands on a copy.

you could send me yours, after you have read it of course, I do promise to send it back.

I always thought you were a generous individual, giving advice free of charge etc, but if you still haven't got a copy, this proves your still a tightarsed miserable sod with yorkshire leanings.

If you DO have a copy, please ignore the last insulting remark.

your best pal, Pauper Pete.

PM me for my address.

In both page size and number of pages, it is a large, hardback book which is packed with detail and photos (over 400) - and it costs the equivalent of some 12 or 13 pints of beer, or 9 bottles of inexpensive plonk.

In a very quick perusal of a limited part of the book (it arrived this morning), I have added to my knowledge of the car which I have owned for the past 45 years, so I imagine that other owners of ex-Works cars will find the same.

And for those who are interested in Triumph's competition record - and I would have thought that would mean all members of this club, there is an immense amount to be learnt, plus the fact that the coverage is truly comprehensive (even some humble Vanguards are there!).

Sometimes I wonder that an owner of a TR can shell out a lot of dosh for some shiny gizmo for the car, yet not acquire a book which will be a reference for ever more and which will be used in that way quite often. I have a large number of TR and Triumph books on my shelves here, and frequently I find the need to use the books to refresh my memory and/or check facts.

I believe that, in creating this book, Graham has performed an invaluable service, for no one else has the comprehensive knowledge of Standard Triumph and its competition history which could have enabled them to do the job, and Graham still is in full possession of his faculties (a bit creaky in the back, mind you!). And Herridge has done Graham proud, by producing a very impressive, high quality tome - well worth £37.50 of this pensioner's money!

Ian Cornish

Agreed Monty,

a link to the supplier would be helpful !

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec,

Amazon I am afraid. I chose Wordery as the supplier, paid just under £29 inc. postage & it arrived 3 days later!

Cheers.

In both page size and number of pages, it is a large, hardback book which is packed with detail and photos (over 400) - and it costs the equivalent of some 12 or 13 pints of beer, or 9 bottles of inexpensive plonk.

In a very quick perusal of a limited part of the book (it arrived this morning), I have added to my knowledge of the car which I have owned for the past 45 years, so I imagine that other owners of ex-Works cars will find the same.

And for those who are interested in Triumph's competition record - and I would have thought that would mean all members of this club, there is an immense amount to be learnt, plus the fact that the coverage is truly comprehensive (even some humble Vanguards are there!).

Sometimes I wonder that an owner of a TR can shell out a lot of dosh for some shiny gizmo for the car, yet not acquire a book which will be a reference for ever more and which will be used in that way quite often. I have a large number of TR and Triumph books on my shelves here, and frequently I find the need to use the books to refresh my memory and/or check facts.

I believe that, in creating this book, Graham has performed an invaluable service, for no one else has the comprehensive knowledge of Standard Triumph and its competition history which could have enabled them to do the job, and Graham still is in full possession of his faculties (a bit creaky in the back, mind you!). And Herridge has done Graham proud, by producing a very impressive, high quality tome - well worth £37.50 of this pensioner's money!

Ian Cornish

Yes, agree it is a must Ian, bet you went straight to 4VC first though!

Regards.

Back to the car... The asking price gives it away, I think.

Currently, the market for TRs with a real pedegry & rally history is changing. Even cars with an 'iffy' history (think about the TR3 mentioned here the other day) are more expensive/have a higher asking price.

True, I know that the UK market is more down to earth and people here do not want to take part in the rally car price bubble, but a REAL rally TR, built by the factory and actually rallied is far more expensive that 45K. Even with RHD an original car is an interesting item on the Mainland of Europe! This isn't. This is only an expensive TR...

Menno

Nice one Ian. I wonder if someone will advise the vendor that he's bad at both spelling and historical research !

If only the publishers would release Graham's latest novel, we could read all about it first hand. Waterstone's just keep emailing me saying its 'not in our warehouse'.

Hi Mc,

Just asked the vendor some relevant questions based on Graham's response & am awaiting a reply!

'She who likes girly blue TR's' is bringing my new copy of the boooook (as P Felon would say it) back from the office today, so I shall proffer an opinion in due course.

I have decided that my TR3a will not be a 'tribute' or 'replica' but a 'mock' car (mock tudor worked for house builders for decades), so I will be studying the finer details of the works cars therein said book and then pay no more than slight regard to the accurate application of said detail onto olde smokey.

I am already composing my sales pitch headlines (small print):

Rare (its an old car), no, hang on.....

Very rare (its an old car made by Brits that it is still going)

Survivor (just don't ask me which bits of it)

Limited production run (one of the 5% not sent out to the Septics (don't worry about the greater rust its called patina)

Timeless classic its an old car without a clock

Ex-Works (it came out of the back door of one)... hang on....

Ex Works (rally) Factory Built Car - (the blokes who built it work(ed) (when not on strike) in a factory)

Rally by rally I mean a PO once took it on a non-competitive one.... wait

Arctic Rally - on another occasion he went somewhere cold in it

Provenance (well actually it went to Brittany not Provenance, but who cares, France is France)

Published history - actually true - front cover of TRA - ooooooooohhhh

Patina - yup, looks a bit scruffy

Full Restoration and Re-build - (last century)

Fast Road Engine (just don't try to get round corners)

Rally upgrades (bouncy rear springs and dampers)

Originality retained - like dodgy 48 spoke wheels

Sort of nearly Matching numbers

Recent Respray - over the rusty crash damage

I'm sure we could compose the perfect (whilst still technical legal) car description if we gave it some thought !

Edited by McMuttley

'She who likes girly blue TR's' is bringing my new copy of the boooook (as P Felon would say it) back from the office today, so I shall proffer an opinion in due course.

I have decided that my TR3a will not be a 'tribute' or 'replica' but a 'mock' car (mock tudor worked for house builders for decades), so I will be studying the finer details of the works cars therein said book and then pay no more than slight regard to the accurate application of said detail onto olde smokey.

I am already composing my sales pitch headlines (small print):

Rare (its an old car), no, hang on.....

Very rare (its an old car made by Brits that it is still going)

Survivor (just don't ask me which bits of it)

Limited production run (one of the 5% not sent out to the Septics (don't worry about the greater rust its called patina)

Timeless classic its an old car without a clock

Ex-Works (it came out of the back door of one)... hang on....

Ex Works (rally) Factory Built Car - (the blokes who built it work(ed) (when not on strike) in a factory)

Rally by rally I mean a PO once took it on a non-competitive one.... wait

Arctic Rally - on another occasion he went somewhere cold in it

Provenance (well actually it went to Brittancy not Provenance, but who cares, France is France)

Published history - actually true - front cover of TRA - ooooooooohhhh

Patina - yup, looks a bit scruffy

Full Restoration and Re-build - (last century)

Fast Road Engine (just don't try to get round corners)

Rally upgrades (bouncy rear springs and dampers)

Originality retained - like dodgy 48 spoke wheels

Sort of nearly Matching numbers

Recent Respray - over the rusty crash damage

I'm sure we could compose the perfect (whilst still technical legal) car description if we gave it some thought !

You would make a great dealer McM! At least it would probably be honest! Sorry, but my regard for dealers is rather low!

Hi

Got mine today. Another really good book from our very own Graham, with some great recollections from his own time at Triumph.

For a book like this, with all the facts on all of the works cars, it has to be good value at £45 even ! When I think about the Gish that's available for that sort of money there is no contest.

Many thanks HP. I'm enjoying it very much.

Regards

Tony

Just skimmed through mine, very well put together and covers a very wide range of cars.

A lot of pics and cars that I had not seen or read about.

Incredible to see race and rally sidescreens with no hardtop, no roll cage and no belts. That must have focussed the attention.

Well done Graham.

ps - it even has a girlie blue sleeve - would make a perfect Xmas present for the other half !

Graham told me some years ago that, even in 1962/1963 Rally seasons, the regulations did NOT permit a rollcage, which was a good reason for Triumph to use the fixed rear screen with metal lid (alloy on the early TR4s), and the big Healeys used a hardtop. One might wonder at the thinking of the organisers of rallying in those days!

Seat belts were allowed, and were fitted in the TR4s - 4VC still has its original belts, but 6VC and 3VC, which are rallied in Europe, have been fitted with full harnesses and roll cage.

I'm not sure that I would tell Tony Sheach that 3VC and Beastie are painted in a girlie colour - he is a large fellow! And there was nothing inferior about the performance of ladies such as Pat Moss and Ann Hall in the 1950s/60s - they equalled the exploits of the best males, and exceeded that of the majority, as Graham and Stuart Turner will tell you.

Ian Cornish

Graham told me some years ago that, even in 1962/1963 Rally seasons, the regulations did NOT permit a rollcage, which was a good reason for Triumph to use the fixed rear screen with metal lid (alloy on the early TR4s), and the big Healeys used a hardtop. One might wonder at the thinking of the organisers of rallying in those days!

Seat belts were allowed, and were fitted in the TR4s - 4VC still has its original belts, but 6VC and 3VC, which are rallied in Europe, have been fitted with full harnesses and roll cage.

I'm not sure that I would tell Tony Sheach that 3VC and Beastie are painted in a girlie colour - he is a large fellow! And there was nothing inferior about the performance of ladies such as Pat Moss and Ann Hall in the 1950s/60s - they equalled the exploits of the best males, and exceeded that of the majority, as Graham and Stuart Turner will tell you.

Ian Cornish

No way is powder blue or Wedgewood a girlie colour! I think the cars look superb in those blues. My 4 is in between a white & old English White, I love the car but wish it was in one of those blues!

No war, Phil! BRG looks very good on the sidescreen cars, as I am sure all will agree who saw at the NEC on the TR Register's stand the three TRs, fresh from a splendid performance at Historic Le Mans 2014.

Ian Cornish

Now .... by way of changing the subject, who do people reckon was the best/fastest 'works' TR rally driver of all ?

[Roger Clark doesn't really count because he only drove once, right at the start of his career ....]

I'll nominate Keith Ballisat - and sit back to await criticism ....

Hon. Pres.

Graham,

No critiscm of Keith, but my all time great TR driver was Tony Pond. Maybe its an era thing as my years in Rallying were the seventies.

Graeme

Who could/should have been the best? Maybe Pat Moss. Does her TR rallying count as "works"? Annie Soisbault has to be on the list, too.

Intriguing question - one which also has at least two angles to it: who drove the fastest drive IN a works TR, and who was the fastest driver who drove a works TR at some point. The second of these two brings in people like Vic Elford, Pat Moss, Paddy Hopkirk, and Roger Clark, but maybe it's also cheating ;-)

Of those, I'd vote for Pat Moss, but if we're confined to the first category it's gotta be hard to beat Tony Pond.