Austin

If you car hears you calling it names it'll start sulking, and it's always looked perfectly fine to me. The 4 does have a big clock in the dashboard, just like yours did, perhaps that's why they're asking 42k, you should have kept it.

steve

You'll be pleased to hear that my dash is now big clock free

....... its a timeless classic

...... boom boom

I doubted the tag 'Works' applied to this car, so asked Graham Robson for his thoughts, which follow. I think 'Works' in the case of this car can be taken to mean that it was manufactured on the production line at Standard Triumph, as were almost all TRs, with the exception of some TR7s.

It should be noted that the TR4s prepared by the Works in the workshop run by Graham did NOT enter the 1962 Monte Carlo Rally. In fact, Graham was permitted by his boss, Harry Webster, to navigate for Peter Procter in a Works' Sunbeam Rapier in the 1962 Monte, and they came 4th overall. The first Rally entered by the Powder Blue Works' TR4s was the Tulip, in May 1962, when 3VC, 4VC and 5VC competed and 6VC was used as a recce car.

Caveat emptor!

Ian Cornish

Graham says:

Absolutely rubbish. This is an old legend, which has been proved false on several occasion, by me.
1) There was no Competitions Department in the October 1961/January 1962 period when that car would have to be prepared. The Richardson era ended in July 1961, at Radford, the Robson era began in February 1962, at Fletchamstead North.
2) In 'my period', we never, repeat never, prepared any private TR4s for motor sport.
3) Previous hot air published about this car was dispersed to show that the car was probably prepared at the Allesley Service Department at Allesley, where Ken Richardson's department had been based from 1956 to 1960. That is the only, repeat only, tenuous connection between Eddie Hodson's 1962 Monte car, and the 'works competition department'.

Nice one Ian. I wonder if someone will advise the vendor that he's bad at both spelling and historical research !

If only the publishers would release Graham's latest novel, we could read all about it first hand. Waterstone's just keep emailing me saying its 'not in our warehouse'.

McMuttley: Graham's latest, "Works Triumphs in Detail" is on sale direct from the publisher, Herridge & Sons (website herridgeandsons.com) - you should find a flyer in your copy of TR Action which arrived this week. Published price is £45, but the offer price from Herridge is £37.50 for a signed copy, post free in the UK. There's a promotional code given on the flyer, but I shall not quote it here as I assume it to be for members of the TR Register. My copy should be arriving any day, but I had a quick look at a copy on Chater's stand at the NEC - very impressive! Ideal Christmas present, if you can wait that long!

The last time I told a vendor that the car he was selling was not a Works' TR (I seem to recall that it was a TR7V8), I received a very rude rebuff, which I published verbatim on the Forum! I am hoping that any prospective purchaser will have the sense to consult folk in the know, and hence see what is written here. However, it doesn't mean that the car is not good car (how would I know, one way or the other), just that it should not attract any premium which might be associated with having been a Works' car.

Ian Cornish

Nice one Ian. I wonder if someone will advise the vendor that he's bad at both spelling and historical research !

If only the publishers would release Graham's latest novel, we could read all about it first hand. Waterstone's just keep emailing me saying its 'not in our warehouse'.

I doubt Graham would call it a novel, but there was a flyer in TR Action and also Triumph World offering the book at a reduced price and signed by the great man himself. No need to bother with Waterstones.

I haven't receieved TRaction yet, hopefully today. I checked the Herridge website and the signed book is available for £37.50 + 12.50 shipping to Canada. So, what does the promotional code in TRaction give you?

The book is currently listed on Amazon Canada at C$48 (£25) post free but not available until 1st Jan.

Cheers

Graeme

i have camcelled my waterstones order and gone to the publisher, i didnt see anything on amazon when i last looked, but in any case i wont give those tax evading, service closing, shop closing buggers my trade

Graeme - the promotional code gives you a price of £37.50, instead of the list price of £45, and you get a signature from our Honorary President.

The cost of postage is just one of those expensive things if living outside the UK, I'm afraid.

You have to decide how soon you want the book and whether you want to pay the £12 postage for the early delivery and Graham's signature.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the explanation, but I can get the discount price and signature direct from the website without the promo code.

Cheers

Graeme

Sitting in this evening reading & enjoying my copy just received @ just under £29 inc. postage!

Cheers.

This book of Grahams is, dare I say it, a bit dear. ( I can hear the missiles being loaded )

Has anyone read through it yet and therefore give us chapter and verse on wether or not we should part with our pension dosh.

Lots of books include lots of republished material, pics included. So are there new surprises for us etc etc .

first to report gets a Robinson round of applause.

Pauper Pete,..............

Edited by pfenlon

The flyer in TR Action doesn't appear to be anything special, just the publishers trying to cut out the bookseller and give Graham a wrist action problem after all that signing . . . .

As for the price, they cannot be serious, time they got into the 21st Century and offered the download on their website for a more reasonable sum.

£45 or £37.50, whichever, they cannot be serious, and the author's moniker counts for naff all when it's offered in industrial quantity.

Sorry Graham, no personal slight intended, but that's the way it is.

Cheers

Alec

See my recent post, £29 is a bit fairer I think.