Village garage is going to Waxoyl the daily driver soon. The garage is not warm, so the waxoyl will 'freeze' when it touches cold steel, even if the can is heated. In the past I have used 5% or so white spirit to help it flow, but is this best? Other sites mention automatic transmission fluid and chain saw oil. Any thing else that works, gets it into seams?

Peter

I have always thinned waxoyl with White spirit and warmed the can in a bucket of hot water.

Me too, but as soon as it touches cold metal it freezes - and I want it to penetrate spot-welded seams.

Peter

Hi Pete,

white spirit must be pretty close to waxoyl solvent and flows like the most flowing flowy stuff that ever flowed.

And would probably lower the freezing point as well.

Roger

Roger,

So......googling:

WS freezing point -20C

Lanolin Melting Point + 35 to 60C

....and the solution's freezing point would be ....??

Or will they separate when cold?

Peter

If you can get your hands on Wurth's cavity wax, not only does it not need to be heated or thinned, it is much longer lasting. Takes a little longer to 'go off' and any spray onto paint work needs to cleaned up before it sets.

It comes in black or beige and also in a handy aerosol can.

A waxoyl story robbed from another forum (Daimler).

I wondered if anyone else had had similar issues with the sticky stuff that is Waxoil….

I really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it, so tonight was planned to be the night for waxoiling the inside of the chassis….

I had gone to Halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early…

I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out tonight, so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boiling water…….

I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started….

I decided to use a Waxoil gun, and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T shirt and shorts was the dress code………

Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid…

Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…great big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface........, no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet", .....glad Sues not in….

Clutching bloody hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practicing holding my breath .....as it went misty in the workshop….

1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill…….

I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain in the ar&e...( I have a really bad back) so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away……

Shove tube into hole and pull trigger….lock and waggle etc…

Enter my wife's love of her life…..

The cat….

It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can….it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…

“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like sh*t to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun…

Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ?…

Could I boll*cks….

The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirit mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it just ran out…..

Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears….

Some waxoil dripped onto the lead lamp….

Ping….

Blackness…….

Blackness as it also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved fruitful, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked” ……

Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……

This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?….

1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very piss7d off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty….scrubbed kitchen floor, sink, worktop

Will she notice….

Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of ?….floor stinks……

She will be back any minute…….

[gulp]

Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))

....UPDATE...............

...later that evening......

Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in.....

"have a nice time dear ?......."

"what the HELL is that smell ?"

"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?"

"Is that what it is - its disgusting"

"Er..really"....

"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."

"er...really ?"

"yes, Really, I mean my G*d its stinking everywhere out, its even permeated the house "

"really"

"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls at Sue.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling

"Charming.........well.....Anyway, have you finished.........?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."yes dear thanks"...
I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and

SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!

Beer....

Bed....

RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far to close

If you can get your hands on Wurth's cavity wax, not only does it not need to be heated or thinned, it is much longer lasting. Takes a little longer to 'go off' and any spray onto paint work needs to cleaned up before it sets.

It comes in black or beige and also in a handy aerosol can.

A waxoyl story robbed from another forum (Daimler).

I wondered if anyone else had had similar issues with the sticky stuff that is Waxoil….

I really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it, so tonight was planned to be the night for waxoiling the inside of the chassis….

I had gone to Halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early…

I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out tonight, so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boiling water…….

I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started….

I decided to use a Waxoil gun, and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T shirt and shorts was the dress code………

Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid…

Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…great big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface........, no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet", .....glad Sues not in….

Clutching bloody hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practicing holding my breath .....as it went misty in the workshop….

1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill…….

I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain in the ar&e...( I have a really bad back) so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away……

Shove tube into hole and pull trigger….lock and waggle etc…

Enter my wife's love of her life…..

The cat….

It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can….it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…

“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like sh*t to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun…

Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ?…

Could I boll*cks….

The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirit mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it just ran out…..

Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears….

Some waxoil dripped onto the lead lamp….

Ping….

Blackness…….

Blackness as it also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved fruitful, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked” ……

Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……

This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?….

1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very piss7d off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty….scrubbed kitchen floor, sink, worktop

Will she notice….

Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of ?….floor stinks……

She will be back any minute…….

[gulp]

Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))

....UPDATE...............

...later that evening......

Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in.....

"have a nice time dear ?......."

"what the HELL is that smell ?"

"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?"

"Is that what it is - its disgusting"

"Er..really"....

"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."

"er...really ?"

"yes, Really, I mean my G*d its stinking everywhere out, its even permeated the house "

"really"

"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls at Sue.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling

"Charming.........well.....Anyway, have you finished.........?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."yes dear thanks"...

I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and

SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!

Beer....

Bed....

RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far to close

Yes that rings true..... I once applied 90psi to a shutz gun cartridge full of waxoyl. Outside, fortunately.

Why are you doing this now?

It's a job for July.

Its a daily driver, new. There's a week or two before the roads are covered in salt. And I dont trust the factory rustproofing.

Hi Peter,

unless Waxoyl has drastically changed formulation in recent years, I'd suggest you're unlikely to find it penetrating spot welded seams, on cold or warm steel, no matter what temperature you raise the Waxoyl too. It's a decent enough product as an all over underbody coating, but my experience is that it won't do more than begin, at best, to creep in to spot welded seams.

I've used Dinitrol products with success in the past - there's a whole range of mixtures depending on just what you're trying to achieve, and whether you're dealing with new or old metal, but the penetrating qualities are remarkable if you're using the correct version for the application. As ever, you get what you pay for, and in this instance if you want deep penetration as well as surface coverage it takes more than one product and rather more labour time and effort.

Cheers

Alec

Plus one for the Dinitrol products Pete, the Landy story reminded me of just how unpleasant the pong of Waxoyl really is, it penetrates the fabric of the car and becomes quite overpowering in a car left in the sun on a hot day, Dinitrol is far kinder on the olfactory senses, and works really well,(no connection by the way).

Cheers Rob

I had a similar experience with a Dinitrol Schutz can. The thread failed and I and the garage ended up wearing most of the contents.

Plus one for Dinitrol, 3125 in particular. It seems so much more substantial than Waxoyl.

Edited by peejay4A

Love the Waxoyl story Justin, had me giggling at breakfast......for some reason i dont mind the waxoyl smell and have used it on various cars.

I am in the process of taking off the rear suspension and re-bushing etc on my 5 ,which hasnt been off for a long time, so its getting the full treatment.With everything off you can get to bodywork that normally is difficult to get at, so i have scraped,wire brushed and taken skin off knuckles.

I have used Dinotrol in a spray can, which i warmed up a bit......it seems to have got into every nook and cranny and covers well.It dries to a nice matt waxy finish......I dont know how it performs and probably never will, but is easy to use and looks great when done.........now to replace everything.

Hope this helps,

Conrad.

Thank you all. I'll search out some thinner fluids, Wurth and Dinitrol, to do the seams first. Then let the garage loose with his hot waxoyl/WS spray for the wheelarches, big chassis members and underside.

Peter

This is the ultimate answer: http://mike.british-cars.de/english.htm The only brand feared by the Dinitrol guys.

Menno

Menno,

120C spray temperature is tricky. Not sure how I'd do that safely.

Peter

Cars are scrapped these days because they are not worth repairing mechanically, not because they are rusted out.

That has been my experience too, along with electronic gremlins. But Dacia may have a rust issue, so I'm taking precautions:

http://www.raccars.co.uk/news/article/2908/dacia-duster-rust-concerns

Cars are scrapped these days because they are not worth repairing mechanically, not because they are rusted out

As Peter said, we are probably getting to the point where it is the availability of electronics which determines the scrapping point. Mechanical bits and bodywork can be repaired or made but its just not going to be possible to knock up a replacement ECU when those are no longer available. Its the number of bespoke sensors and processors in modern cars which will doom them, even the collectable ones.