Chassis anticorrosion

Guest GDalzell

Guest GDalzell

I've just had my 3A chassis primed  and want to spray the inside with Waxoyl or an equivalent. I've had differing advice on where to drill the chassis in order to inject the stuff.

Can anyone tell me where the internal baffles are located so that I can drill any holes in between them.

I've been advised by one person to drill the bottom of the chassis and to leave the holes open so that condensation can drain. Other advice has been to use te small holes in the inner side which are used for the brake pipe clips but these are too small ond only on one side

I'm planning to use the spray attachement for my compressor which is designed to take the proprietary canisters. It has a sopt clear plastic hose about 16" long with a nozzle on ther end. It doesn't look up to much. Any other ideas or nods for this type of gun?

No doubt you'll advise me on lots of different oily products too.

Cheers Graham

You may find many of the segments already have holes to inject into.

I guess those that don't are drilled, wax injected then blanked off with a grommet to seal them. That way whether they are on the side or the bottom doesn't matter too much.

I've used waxoyl but found it sprayed better when thinned a lttle with paraffin or white spirit. - Mind you I was using a hand sprayer.

When I rebuilt my 6 I borrowed a commercial wax injection kit from a body shop and used their wax.

I did mine on a warm day by tilting the chassis and pouring copious amounts down each leg letting it drip out of any holes already there.  Then I repeated it with the chassis upside down.  Surprising how many containers you need to catch it all, the lawn took a while to recover.

Only works if you have a bare chassis though!

Like Mike Ellis, I used the opportunity to Waxoyl the chassis when it was a bare chassis. To find the baffles, you can check with a stiff wire and drill additional holes, I think preferably on a line in the middle of the inner side of the chassis beams : these point are unstressed, but perhaps these additional holes don't matter a lot. Waxoyling (and other brands) don't last forever and have to be repeated.