TR2 TR3 oil cap

ps, beautiful car Keith, truly stunning, great work so far, now just needs some oil in the engine bay to complete the authentic look !

Austin

I found out the other day that a great way to get the correct 710 patena is to run the engine without the rocker cover and with a tube stuck in your ear listen to all the rockers until you find the worn rocker that is making a noise like a marble in a tin can even though the adjustment appears to be correct! I now have a spotty 710 soaked engine bay as it would have been in period :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Alan, unnecessary maintenance is just a waste of time, I use a noisy crank to hide the rocketytappets, the slightly synchopated din is quite therapeutic; a sort of 'well there's no point me even beginning to start looking into whats going on in there' sort of feeling !

If I could get connections for charging the battery installed in the boot, I wouldn't even need to bother lifting the hood up anymore.

I bought a CTEK battery charger which came with an adaptor which can be permanently wired to the car. I drilled a hole in the back of the Glove Box and ran the wire through a convenient hole in the bulkhead/firewall to connect to the battery.

Rgds Ian

PS I also have a cigar lighter fitted for charging the sat nav - I don't know why I didn't think of using that.

I didn't realise that you could reverse charge through a lighter socket - I took the garish one out of mine when i reversed my earths. I assume that if purchasing a modern one - you just strip the cable and do with the feed and earth as necessary ?

It's just another way of connecting to the battery, works for charging just as well as discharging. Just make sure the wires used are suitable for the current you may be drawing (or supplying)

Bob.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's all too easy to get hung up on little details like the breather cap.

There seems to be a North American assumption that this or that component is absolutely correct for a particular car, and nothing else will possibly do.

Absolute cobblers, TRs were built in Coventry not Detroit, and what was fitted was what was conveniently to hand at the time. Overstocks in the spares department, component supplier labour relations problems, alternative suppliers for particular items, bargain job lot purchases, simple mistakes on the line . . . . . all manner of reasons for variations, and probably home market cars varied more than export.

We've all heard a thousand times that Don bought his car new in 1958, and what happened to be fitted to it is quoted like some extract from the Rosetta Stone. It's a TR for heaven's sake, it doubtless differed in detail from the one that preceded it down the line, and they both differed from the next TR along . . . . What happened to be fitted to Don's car is neither here nor there.

As for the USA concours judging rules, or whatever they're called. Strewth, give me strength. An article of faith, sacred text for anally retentive pedants even, but old Stan Part must be laughing in his grave at the well meaning nitpicking of our colonial chums.

If it's a breather cap and it ain't blocked, then it ain't broke . . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec

there's always some kind of therapeutic effect off the Pringle Posts ;-)

to me looking for details has nothing to do with gaining points or not having respect for others cars or the solutions they used. Have done so myself, but now while im working on my tr2, i have fun enjoying the chase of parts on bootsales, fleemarkets or internet. its all part of the hobby. knowing that parts were exchanged during production lines is too part of the fun.

found a bolt on a spares parts day last month, the english chap gave it to me, i think because I had a happy glance around me face.. ;)

what else do i do with spare time ???

So what is the cap I have ?

It is grey hammerite painted with the oil types decal in white on the top, does not have the three push 'finger dents' is fully vented beneath fit a round filler neck. does not have slots in the sides for venting and came in a Stan-Part labelled box numbered 113569.

I think it came from a bloke in Mitcham trading from his house on Saturdays back in the 1970's.

I need a used spare that will fit - can anyone help?

Peter W

Some of the neatest stuff found through the years came from folks selling from garages. The best was a cache we found in the late eighties in an abandoned gas (petrol) station in the woods off of US1 in Laurel, Maryland. This place looked like a set from Mad Max or The Walking Dead. Only about fifty meters from the road, you'd never know it was there unless you were clued in. It had the old 'V' post lights, soda machines etc. dating from the 1960s; the big difference is that it was surrounded by TRs. All sorts of TRs, but mostly sidescreen cars. Back then we thought they were just another collection of sorry resto candidates; now they would bring a fortune just as they sat.

The best of the lot was a TR250 with less than 10,000 miles that had no speck of rust. It looked like one year old car that needed a bath - which essentially it was. It's only flaw was a relatively minor shunt in the front. The seller had the NOS grill, bumper and sidelight sitting in the car that he intended to use when he put it back on the road. He didn't want to sell it alone of all of the cars there or it would have come home with us. Its 1968 Maryland tags had been removed and placed in their original registration envelope - these he gave me on account of the volume of stuff we were buying as he had no intention of reusing them when he returned the car to the road. These are on last year's VTR Best of Show car now. i have no idea what became of the TR250.

Everyone has one of these stories to tell - it's a great part of the hobby for those who like to look for stuff and find homes for all of it. That cache completely restored 2 TR3As, most of a 3B. a TR6 and a good bit of a TR2 that we know of. All went on 'our' cars as opposed to selling the stuff off as we were enthusiasts as opposed to tradesmen.. We could have built a TR4 from NOS scratch if we'd been inclined. Weird to see seats and carpet in S-T packaging...Sadly these kinds of finds are getting to be little more than memories now.

It's not at all strange to look for 'correct' oil caps or anything else. It's fun and ever more challenging.

JW

It seems I find the odd stuff when I'm looking for something else that's why I enjoy looking for hard to find items. Some times the conversations you have with people while on that search can be most enjoyable. You may even make a new friend or two. Some of my best friends are from sales, purchases, or trades for that hard to find part.

Good news on the cap: I was able to find one in a small town in Australia last week, should be here Christmas Eve. Thank you everyone for your help.

Now does anybody know where I can find a ________.

Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all

Keith

• 4 years later...