Dipstick leak

My 1970 TR6 seems to be seeping oil from the base of the dipstick guide tube. Does this screw in and therefore can be tightened or is it pressed in. Can I remove and repair or will I just have to seal it and if so what with?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, it seems to be a push-in fit, well at least mine is anyway. When I stripped my engine I used a suitably sized punch and gently tapped it out, you could I suppose using a rag to protect the tube persuade it out with a pair of mole grips or suchlike, then re-fit with some Araldite.

Richard.

No Alan, he said it 'seems to be'. But...it could be coming out of the top if there is no felt washer (likely), and running down the tube appearing to be a leaky tube fitting.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Millward

Thanks for that guys. Felt is in place. It does seem to be from the base of the tube where it joins the block. I am finally getting the drips under control. The biggest difference came after fitting a breather to the top of the gearbox cover and replacing the washers on the overdrive sump with dowty seals!