Installing a dashboard clock

Have recently purchased a period dashboard SMiths clock.  Was going to install and replace the useless Rheostat in the centre of the dash.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with doing anything similar:

1) Can the rheostat just be simply removed without issue?

2) Has anyone got any advice for hole cutting in the dashboard?  This is something I really dont want to get wrong and am frankly a little uneasy at the prospect.  Has anyone got any tips...

Advice much appreciated.  Hope you are all well

Kind Regards

Matt

Matt

It's easy to remove the rheostat, just connect the two wires together, don't know about cutting the dash though, I don't think I would be brave enough, but if you are going ahead with it make sure you have enough room behind the dash for the clock body.

Ron

Matt, first thing to need to do is remove the dashboard. If you want to have the new hole central to the rheostat hole then the only way to do it is to mark the diameter you want and cut it out with a fine fret saw. If you can manage to go slightly off centre then you have enough wood to get a pilot drill and hole cutter of the diameter you want to do it.

good luck.

:cool:

p.s. you can by a drill and hole cutter at most DIY stores up to about 75mm diameter

Matt

At Malvern last year I saw a TR6 that had had the passenger's ventilation louvre assembly ball removed and a clock installed in it's place.  Looked quite smart, not sure what the owner had done with the louvre assembly or what his/her passengers thought about it!!!

Regards

Bill

If you're taking the dash off then how about screwing a piece of 1/2" ply to the back of it, drilling a pilot hole through the centre of the ply (measured & drilled from the front) then going at it with a holesaw from the back?

Not done it myself but it should work as long as you don't push too hard when breaking through the front of the dash...

If you're taking the dash off then how about screwing a piece of 1/2" ply to the back of it, drilling a pilot hole through the centre of the ply (measured & drilled from the front) then going at it with a holesaw from the back?

That's a very good suggestion to temporarily fix a piece of ply, but don't attempt to cut through the veneer from behind, it'll splinter and end up in an awful state.  

I'd use the ply to give a firm surface with centre accurately marked, and then some sharpened dividers to scribe and cut the outer radius through the veneer, or a craft knife held in compasses.  Then use the hole saw from the front to cut necessary depth and a smaller hole saw from behind, as you need to end up with a rebated hole for the clock to sit in.   It might be a job for a Dremel, cutting out to the outer and inner radius marks - measure thrice, but cut once!   Any raw edges can be touched up with felt tip type markers, or stain/varnish.

There are hole saws and **** hole saws - do not get the cheap ones with individual blades of differing diameter that 'lock' in a backing carrier - they can make a right mess of a veneered flush door - I know it cos I did it. The only way with veneers is to carefully cut through and remove with a super sharp craft knife then drill the hole - I would suggest very slightly smaller with a file to finish off to correct diameter