Groove on Front brake discs

Hi John & Peter,

Thanks both for your info.... Ah ha, is all clear now!!

(sorry for delay, not been on forum to look recently at this)

I'll get my car on the ramps soon and go checking, pretty sure they'll be missing as those stops don't look familiar at all..

Cheers,

J.

Have added a couple of photos here with wheels straight ahead and against the stop.

This is a 1969 TR6 and looks like the 'device' on the bottom on the trunnion is eccentric - much like a cam

post-12776-0-61672600-1414751547_thumb.png

post-12776-0-13904800-1414751578_thumb.png

Have indicated the cam and also where it engages the rest of the suspension on full lock.

Cheers, Richard

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem as described in this thread but having removed the lock stops it appears they offer no adjustment at all.

I have seen replacement parts on Rimmers and Moss but they also look concentric. Is it possible to get eccentric collars anywhere?

Steve

***IGNORE THIS POST ****

I have answered my own question - Revington offer both a larger diameter stop and an eccentric one.

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?mscssid=f89ewccugq068mduufv4rbpslbkt9t25&CarType=TR6&ProductID=156111%2D22

Steve

Edited by Percy TR6

I bought a pair of oversize stops from Revington as this was a possible remedy when fitting Minilites. In the event I was able to get some 3 (or 6mm) spacers off fleabay and thus have them somewhere in the garage. When I get round to it I will fleabay them unless anyone here needs them

As I have wider wheels on both TR6 I needed modified stops.

Took a look, made them in a lathe and if not sufficient

made another one, just from ST50 steel.

Easy and quickly done.

Take original as a master and make new ones non excentric

and little wider than the biggest excentric distance.

In Germany at the monthly round table from local TR-Register

normally about 4 people are present to have a lathe.

Reason might be that we often have bad quality spare parts or do not even get parts.

So we started earlier to do our own manufacturing of such easy parts.

Also meetings like Stone leigh can not be found in Germany.

We have things like Veterama but that is mainly for German cars and bikes.

• 6 years later...

I finally found what is causing the the grooves on the inside of the front brake discs!!!!! If you hoist the tr6 the suspension drops and as you turn the front wheels left or right to see where the disc is binding is not shown. I used my hydraulic gearbox lifter to raise the front right suspension and it made it obvious strait away. The lower wisbone is held up to the trunion by a big bolt ¨pin¨. The whasher of the bid bolt as you turn the steering wheel to the left is ¨cutting¨ material from the  disc like a lathe. Thats why you are getting a circumference like groove. Cure,  grind up the whasher from the side of the disc and have in mind not to turn the steering wheel all the way. I was curious why in my case only the right side was having issues an I¨ve found out that from this side the 78 part ¨steering lock STOP¨ was missing an probably this is what was causing all the trouble.

Edited by dimliakos
new evidence steering lock stop

Dimliakos, Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on reviving a 6 year old thread ! Yes, its the missing steering lock stop that is the problem. Peter

13 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Dimliakos, Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on reviving a 6 year old thread ! Yes, its the missing steering lock stop that is the problem. Peter

Can also be if the nut head isnt aligned flat in relation to the disc. Washers are not normally the problem if the correct one is fitted.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Is there a particular direction the trunnion bolt should be fitted, I presume the bolt head should face forwards?

Doesn't one of the wheels turn more on a full turn, is it the left one on a left full turn and the right on a full right turn?  Ackerman steering?

John

Edited by John L

Hi,

the dust cover of the brake disc tells you the way the bolt has to be fitted:

it has a small "window" for the head end of the bolt and a longer one for the threaded end with its nut.

17 hours ago, Z320 said:

the dust cover of the brake disc tells you the way the bolt has to be fitted:

it has a small "window" for the head end of the bolt and a longer one for the threaded end with its nut.

Don't you hate it when somebody brings facts to an interesting discussion? :rolleyes:

Thanks Marko. You're not only an amazing machinist, but you know "stuff" too B)