What's it say in the search results Keith ?

Mick Richards

Hello Keith

Have a look at this site.

I bought a portamig 185 not that I have used it much? but when I do it seems to work well

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Roger

Because I was a novice, and because the weld quality for the chassis is pretty critical, safety wise, I went to a specialy welder shop and took the advice of the expert there.

Worth forking out for a good one from a well known company rather than trying to find the cheapest one, if you are not knowlegeable in that area.

I was using 14 gauge steel for the chassis, 18 or 20 G for the body.

the chart I had said Gauge Metal Thickness Required amps

mm ins (1 amp/.001 thickness)

14 4.2 .164 75

18 1.2 .048 48

20 0.9 .036 36

The 135 sounds good.

Mine says 175 but think I'd blow the single phase supply if I tried it that high.

Edited by littlejim

I have a Lincoln 135A MIG welder and it has been fine for all of my sheet metal and chassis work. The two things I looked for were continuous adjustment, not just presets, and a gas welder (I use C25) not flux core only. This welder has done everything I have asked of it.

Stan

The 135 sounds good.

Mine says 175 but think I'd blow the single phase supply if I tried it that high.

LJ

the 175A rating is on the low output voltage side so if you are running 12V on the output which mine was then using a 230V input rated at 10A (if standard Aussie plugs are like the NZ ones I think they are rated at 10A) you can safely run to about 190A on the output (ie welding side)

Cheers

Alan

Keith,

what do you want to weld?

I have gas, MIG, TIG, and spot, all have good and bad features, happy to advise if you have a specific need.

Had several MIG's, used a Clarke 140 Turbo for years, still going when I sold it and upgraded to a Kennedy 170 Turbo, though to be honest its not much better. Main thing with Mig's is to have plenty of variable power settings, say 6, plus a decent wire feed and speed control as constant wire feed is the secret of good welding.

I live near York so if you are over this way you are welcome to call for further discussion.

Mike