Hi Rallyers!

Obviously, the "go-to" TR rally tyres for gavel and/or rough tarmac have, for several years, been Dunlop SP82. But seeing as they are no longer available (unless anyone on here knows different) I'm wondering if there are clear opinions/preferences on what's now available. DMacks? Max Sport? Others??

As you may know, my own favourites are Vredestein Snow + but 1) they are only available in 165/80 15, 2) don't have reinforced sidewalls, and 3) it's possible they are also becoming unavailable (I apparently bought "the last two in N America")...or maybe they're just being renamed Snow Classic (it's not really clear from this side of the Atlantic).

Either way, I'm just looking for a little poll on the current choices...

Thanks all,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm trying out the MaxSport RB3 Ultras on the Rally of the Tests in less than a week's time, so I will let you know how they compare to the SP82s. Although both are meant to be 175 section, the RB3s are 20mm wider (170mm vs 150mm) so my main concern is contact with the outer wings on the bouncy bits! There is also some question about how long they will last...

Cheers,

Jonathan

Thanks, both.

I look forward to your review, Jonathon - especially in comparison to SP82's (which I think you used before, yes?).

Lee, how long have you been using the DMACKs? One of our recent competitors in a Audi Quattro used them and he was pleased with them too. He took two sets for 4,500 miles (around 500 or 600 on gravel), but only used one so the wear rate was pretty good too!

Tim

Hello Tim

I bought them Second hand but only done 1 event in. I have done 2 more events on them and still got a lot of life left. They perform well on Tarmac and gravel as I do events with mixed surfaces. On those event most use gravel for the first couple of stages and then move to Slicks for the rest. But I stay on Gravels all day. They have very good stiff side walls and in my photos you can see that they don't roll a lot.

Lee

Hi

I found the Vredesteins comparatively fragile. For the same money Avon unbelievably sell their 175 65 15 Ice Touring tyre which I ran on LEJog last year. Not quite as icy conditions but they did perform well and I'll be using them again.

The year I ran the vreds they proved excellent in snow and ice, but fairly poor in mud and the soft ground. Punctured easily too, and the sidewalls are very soft which means the car moves around a lot; fine when you got used to it bit I like a nice wiggly back end. ;-) and It was no great shakes. If you like a well planted car they are not going to be suitable.

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Just coming back with my report on the Max Sport RB3 Ultras (medium compound) on the Rally of the Tests (Tony's generous event report appearing on the separate event topic). I thought they performed excellently, and are a great (and cheaper!) replacement for the SP82 which I've been using for many years previously. You get the occasional twitch when brand new, which feels like the blocks flexing rather than the side walls (which are pretty solid), but they hit the sweet spot when worn down a little and from then on they provide lots of grip in most conditions, other than perhaps really slippy, slimey forests where most competitors were having difficulties. The event itself was about 850 miles, with about 300 motorway miles on top, and they are about half worn now. That is about where the SP82s would be. I would say the front tyres exhibit less dramatic outer edge wear than the SP82s, whose corners seemed to be scrubbed off almost instantly on the first test.

Just one issue, which TR owners need to watch out for if you'll be using them on the bouncy bits. As mentioned above, they are wider than the SP82s, and a small section of one wheel arch lip has been flicked down by the tread, not by much and not enough to disturb the line of the outer arch, but it will need carefully folding back up. But then again, they kept us out of the scenery and the need for a lot more significant bodywork!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

Helpful feedback and review - thanks!! And many congratulations on your excellent result!!

A couple of questions:

I know that Max Sport also make the "narrow" version of the RB3 (I forget which car they specifically made them for) but, when I spoke to them, they didn't recommend them for a TR4. I presume you were NOT using these...? I don't know if that would alleviate the wheel arch problem, or maybe have other undesirable effects.

Any comment on diameter/rolling circumference of these - I'm thinking particularly about ground clearance. Did you find this significantly different from the Dunlops or a problem at all?

Once again, great result. And thanks for the information.

Tim

Hi Tim,

The RB3 "narrow" was developed for the Volvo Amazons, I believe, where wheel arch fouling was an issue. MaxSport said that these are almost a "triangular" tyre (!), which I take to mean that the tread width is smaller compared to the width at the rim. You are correct, I was also advised that these were probably not the ones to go for on the TR. The RB3D2 Ultras are a much squarer tyre, so you have more tread in contact with the road.

I was using 175/70 R15 RB3D2 Ultras in medium compound. Only the Ultras and the Narrows come in 70 profile, which I wanted for better ground clearance. Compared to the SP82s, they give 5mm less ground clearance.

Cheers,

Jonathan

• 6 years later...

Hi all, bumping this quite old (well, aren't we all) but very interesting (ditto) thread. I've just been reading various posts recently on the Facebook HRCR group and others about tyres for road rallying.

Leaving aside gravel tyres - although may come back to those for this year's Rally of the Tests - there seems to be some inclination towards using XL winter tyres all year round for 'mixed' events (ie road and private land regularities and tests on anything from old airfield tarmac to gravel or mud) and also for long distance international events of 10 days or more where a gravel tyre would probably not last the distance anyway. 

Or... what do folks think about all seasons as a general purpose option - although I haven't seen XL versions.

Oh yes and of course it needs to be available in a 175/65 or 165/70, and not directional (ideally) as I'll only be carrying one spare.

Otherwise it's just sticking to my trusty Vred Sprint Classics on the TR4 - although I do also need new tyres for my other car, an Alfa, also 15 inch/5.5J, similar use-case.

Nigel