Spare wheel compartment

This is an interesting one. Having just finished the restoration of my TR3A, I needed to fit a tyre to the spare wheel rim which was laying in the spare wheel compartment. I took it to my tyre supplier who, having fitted a nice new tyre, informed me that he couldn't get it into the compartment. Low and behold it wouldn't go. I have to let almost all of the air out of the new tyre in order to squeeze it into the shelf and carry a foot pump in the boot in case of a need to change wheels. To my knowledge the car has never had a shunt or been rebuilt at the rear end. Anyone come across this problem before?

Chalky ???

TS61652 1960 TR3A LHD.

Your TR3A has a Comm. No after 60000, when the factory made lots of changes to the sheetmetal.  One of these changes or improvements was to make the spare wheel opening and the interior height more rhan it was for the TR2 thgrough the early TR3A's.

You tyre supplier must have put on an oversize tyre.  Many TR owners use a smaller 155-15 tyre so it will fit.

Maybe your TR was restored from two TR's.  Maybe your rear end has the smaller opening from an earlier TR3A like mine.  If the bodywork under your hinges has raised bumps under the hinges, it is the correct bodywork for your Comm. No. with the larger wheel well.

I have used 165-R-15 tyres - 4 sets over the last 15 summers of driving (82,000 miles) and while it's a tight fit, the spare will fit.  My TR3A is an early TR3A with the smaller space.

I push it in with the "off-set dished down.  This way, I can put in bags of spares in the dished down part of the spare wheel.  Then I push it in with a rotating motion.  I have heard of some who will grease the floor of the wheel as well as the sides of the tyre.  Before I found out the rotating technique, I used to push a wide leather belt in around the tyre so I could pull out the wheel by pulling on the ends of the leather belt.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, TS 27489 LO

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPGboot lid

All will depend on the rim and tyre size you are using. I suppose the new tyre is on the old rim, but is it the same size of tire? please also notice that different tyre brands can have different size of foot prints, thus wider on the rim. My personal experience: When I bought my 3A she had 4,5 standard steel rims with 155/80 tyres. The spare wheel was I very tight fit in the booth. Later I have converted to wires. 5,5 inch (72 spoke) rims on the car with 165/80 tyres and a 4,5 (60 spoke) spare, also with a 165/80 tyre. This one now barely fits in the booth although it is not entirely inflated (but enough to bring me to the next gas station). It can only be pressed in with much effort and the help of tyre grease. I have a nylon strap through the rim in order to be able to pull it out again, otherwise it is not possible. In due time I will look for a 155 size tyre and give it a try.
Forgot to mention that my 3A has a comm nr. post 60K
Guest Mike Gambordella

Speaking of the spare compartment/tyres/sizes, etc. is anyone out there running Michelin XZX tires? I have an opportunity to buy a new set at a very reasonable price.

How they perform in the handling/noise catagories compared to Vredestein Sprints that are so popular, and what about the quality problems of the recent past?

Are they still holding true?

Hmmm...

Mike G.  1956 TR3  TS 9865 0

Mike, I used to use Michelins religiously on my Eurobox but although grip was good, mileage life wasn't.   I also found the sidewalls are extremely fragile, hitting debris (quite small stones/chunks of wood) in the roads around Cornwall, cut holes the size of half-crowns in the sidewalls - instant total deflation and written off tyre.

Mike - I drove about 42,000 miles on 4 new Michelin 165 SR 15 from 1990 to 2000.  I had to change them when I got ply separation - felt like I was driving on railway ties.  They were 10 years old by then.  Next I bought Kelly-Springfield 165 R 15 and drove about 20,000 miles before they were shot.  I now have the Sprints but have only driven a few 1000 miles so I have no long term history.

I have heard from several sources that tires will only last 10 years even if they are not used or not worn.  It seems something happens to the rubber.  They are OK for the concours purist who trailers his "jewel" to shows.  But I know you want to drive yours so don't buy them if they are old tires.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A

BTW, on May 13th (12 days ago) I woke up and felt great for the first time since last August when I got hit with the bone marrow cancer.  It had been in remission since December and I have felt great every day for the last 12 days.  I guess I have a lot to be thankful for.  I was bald till mid-January but my hair has grown back now.

Don

Guest Mike Gambordella

Well folks, as they say - "if it sounds too good to be true..."

Turns out, the tires are new - but ten years old! The owner inherited them w/ his Porsche 356 "trailer queen" so they were never really driven on. He promptly removed them for obvious reasons. Seeing as how I just rebuilt and painted all the sheet metal on the front of my TR3, I wouldn't want to risk all that hard-earned cash to tires w/ inherent flaws... ???

Thanks guys  

Don - that's great news!

I guess we all have a lot to be thankful for, which is easily forgotten at times. I've been lamenting for some time over tires - as if that were a problem in the scope of things!

Regards,

Mike

BTW, on May 13th (12 days ago) I woke up and felt great for the first time since last August when I got hit with the bone marrow cancer.  It had been in remission since December and I have felt great every day for the last 12 days.  I guess I have a lot to be thankful for.  I was bald till mid-January but my hair has grown back now.

Don

Don, I hope you will stay alive and well for many many years because I can imagine that you are "Thrusty" for your family and friends.

• 5 weeks later...
This topic gets even more involved where you have wire wheels.  If you are a traveller, then you need to be sure that the 4 wheels you choose to use regularly, will actually fit in the compartment when flat.   If so, you've got a good starting position.  My 165R15s will not fit when inflated.  I use a 155R15 on an old 48 spoke wheel as a spare.