TR6 for a tall person

Ok read the article on the web about moding the seat runners

Also a dished steering wheel I have a flat 15 inch fitting

Our lad is 6ft 3 and cannot use the clutch without hitting the steer wheel

Anyone done these mods do it all work ????

No rush will be sorting this at Xmas when I am off

Cheers david

Hi All

I've gone down this road due to my legs being to long as well!

I did the mods as per the Buckeye article, then went for a flat 13" mota lita wood rim wheel which has a fairly slim rim and just about gives me enough left leg room. (Bit of workout every time I park though)

Thinking on maybe a dished wheel would have been better but I was bothered about the wheel getting a bit close..

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Tall/TR6Tall.htm

Edited by Dave K

I solved a similar problem for a chap who was 6ft 3" and as he said "mostly leg". The problem was the standard seats not being able to go far enough back with the back of the seat touching the rear platform. I had to replace the seats with aftermarket ones and using the standard runners make a subframe onto which the new seats mounted and thus allow the seats further rearward travel.

By doing this I retained the standard wheel.

However you could always fit a smaller wheel :rolleyes:

Enginuity do a mod for tall people where they reshape the body tub so the seats can go back even further details on their web-site.

Sadly for me they don't have a mod for the stout.

Snowy

Plan is to mod the runners as per the article on the web buckeye one, then if that is not enough try a dished steering wheel

remember them dished steering wheels made form chromed chain in the hotcar magazine wanted my dad to fit one would have looked crazy on his mini van :lol:

cheers

david

Edited by dblenk

Enginuity do a mod for tall people where they reshape the body tub so the seats can go back even further...

I was always "OK" with legroom on my TR3B -- one of the reasons I bought it in 1981 -- but when we had the body down to bare metal in 2010 we modified the tub and the rail positions to let the seat go back a little farther. I have more legroom in my TR than any other car in the fleet, and sufficient room for the standard TR3 steering wheel. I'm 6'6".

You can see it here on my car (LHS, of course).

i-3WmKGgH-XL.jpg

I'

I was always "OK" with legroom on my TR3B -- one of the reasons I bought it in 1981 -- but when we had the body down to bare metal in 2010 we modified the tub and the rail positions to let the seat go back a little farther. I have more legroom in my TR than any other car in the fleet, and sufficient room for the standard TR3 steering wheel. I'm 6'6".

You can see it here on my car (LHS, of course).

i-3WmKGgH-XL.jpg

I've seen similar pics of a 6 with a cut-out / flattened wheel arch. That way the seat can be pushed further back, providing more distance between the back of the seat and the pedals.

Menno

Hi David

I also copied the Enginuity mod see http://www.enginuity.co.uk/Other-Sevices.aspx I am 6' 5'' and together with a smaller steering wheel the car is now very comfortable for me. I made up a couple of steel extender plates so I could still use the front seat runner floor fixing holes and move the runner back approx 3''. I drilled new rear holes in the runner and used the existing rear floor fixing holes. I bought a cheap set of panel beating hammers to modify the wheel arch, there is plenty of room forward of the off side rear wheel to accommodate the bulge underneath the wheel arch. I smoothed out the modified wheel arch with filler, stone chipped and repainted, looks very neat underneath. I removed the vinyl to do the panel beating and replaced it afterwards also looks pretty neat.

Hope this helps

Bill

cheers Niall

wasnt going the roll bar route anyway

i know its a good safety feature but in my opinion spoils the lines when the roof is down

love the way the TR bumps up at the door to follow on over the rear wings sit and watch it for hours

david