TR5 "Patience " Re-build

Hi all

I'm re-building a TR5 and thought I should really post some active history on my progress as I guess like many of you, like to see what others are doing. So briefly:-

Here she is as purchased - A UK car - 4 owners from new - found in resting in a barn for 27 years and the picture shows her after being collected.

post-391-0-05600100-1413280377_thumb.jpg

This car will be re-built for Fiona (my partner) - one day it will be back on the road ! - not sure when though.

post-391-0-82569300-1413283416_thumb.jpg

That was last July. The car has now been totally stripped - chassis repaired / re-painted / filled with cavity /anti rust paint and filled again with waxoyl. I used a probe camera to check all in the internals - I'm very pleased to say,it all looks all very good. The usual repairs were done. New bridge, new outriggers, strengthened diff mounts, lower wishbone mounts, new t.shirts, etc. I have also added, jacking plates to the front cross member, and the rear legs, adjacent to the diff.

For the chassis and the suspension parts I'm using POR15 products. De-greaser, metal prep, Etch primer, anti rust, then chassis topcoat.

I know time will tell, and I have not used these products to this level before, but I'm very pleased so far with the results.

Currently I am now preparing all the suspension parts, shot blasting, re-painting, renewing where necessary, re-bushing with blue poly's etc. A laborious and very time consuming task, but when each part has been processed, re-assembled and fitted. It's a nice feeling of achievement and it's upward and onward from now on. Exciting stuff..

post-391-0-61401800-1413282090_thumb.jpg

Best Bill

Hi Bill, god knows how these barn finds keep appearing, it not what you know !

Any way she looks good and original,even down to the rostyles and wingard door mirror.

You are obviously going to town on this rebuild and it will be worth it,no stone unturned as it were.

I have just finished a 5, my first triumph restoration, and done 900 running in miles so far, its just great.

I did ask loads of questions along the way,and had great help and advice, so give me a shout if you need anything...a problem shared....etc.

Enjoy it,

Conrad.

Thank you all very much for your comments of support.

For any of you with eagle eyes - yep the top wishbones are the wrong way round in the 1st post - blonde moment ! and now rectified.

Some more pictures.

Just cleaned down the n/s vertical link - mmm - me thinks this needs replacing.

I'll post more updates as I go along

Best

Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne

Hi again

I thought I would replace/renew the LH vertical link. So bought a new one - But look at what I rec'd. Appalling !!

The casting has encroached onto the cut face and the whole casting is off centre. So have returned and complained.

I hope, the more we complain and reject bad parts, improvements to quality may follow ?

Best Bill

Keep going Bill, i myself found difficulties around every corner, but overcoming them outweighs everything else.

Home restoring isnt for the feint hearted !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Don't stop great job so far well done. Been there like Conrad, it will be worth the effort.

Thank you guys

Yes I'll certainly keep going, there's no stopping me now. I'm spending about an hr or 2 every night + weekends whenever possible. The amount of time spent assessing,cleaning and preparing is huge, but when the bits are processed and ready to re-assemble and then re fitted. It's exciting. Currently on the n/s front suspension at the moment. O/S is more or less complete. Then onto the brakes/discs bearings to fit etc. I'm leaving out the springs for the moment, so that a rough idea of alignment checks can be carried out, after I've done the rear trailing arms etc. Then the diff, rear drive shafts/hubs. I'll be fitting the CV drives shafts, as I've got those on my 6, and very happy with them. Then the power steering rack to fit. etc. Then engine,gearbox. Then the body..Anyway that's the plan.

I will be posting more with photos at key stages.

Best Bill

Hi Sean / Tony

The body is in pretty good shape - It will be completely re-built though. It's currently all stripped and braced awaiting my decision, as to where/who will restore it for me and when. I'm not able to do this myself. I wouldn't even attempt it, as I can't weld and can't paint. So that's best left to the experts. I've hopefully attached a sample of pictures of the body before I took it off the chassis. As you may be able to judge, it's not bad at all. The floor pans are in pretty good shape. Sills,on both sides will need replacing. All the inner panels look OK. The outer wings need some work on their bottom sections, but I think they are repairable. All the inner wings are good. Rear & front valances seem OK. bonnet/boot lid are good. Rear deck needs some work. Boot floor very good. except the corners at the rear. The door frames are very good. Although at least one door will need a new skin. Anyway that's my brief appraisal, but I'm no expert. I'm toying with the idea of having the body dipped rather than shot blast. Either way, only then will all the horrors reveal themselves fully.

Hi Tony. I'm going to fit the hydraulic version from Classic Driving Developments. I already have this fitted to my 6, and I'm very pleased with it.

It's very good. I just love the drive and feel. Should have done it yonks ago.

Best regards

Bill

Hi Stuart

Yes, that's the only one I would go for. If you recall we spoke about them a while back. They in comparison to all the others that we went to see, seem to have a very safe chemical cocktail and are very open about their process. We went to their premises and saw everything in action. They also offer a collect/re-deliver service. So overall all I think they are the only choice. Not sure yet though when I will press the button.. Pennies and time ! You had a 5 done, didn't you ? Has that turned out well ?

Best Bill

Bill if you go for the dip then this is the best option http://www.envirostripukltd.com/

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I have looked at the envirostrip website, impressive but light on detail of what the process is. I am considering this firm for my TR250, do you think it is the same or similar process. http://www.redi-strip.com/page2.htm

Cheers

Graeme

The one you have linked to isnt the same process and Im not sure I would fancy it. Enviro strip bake the paint off and then dip to de rust so it doesnt give the problems between the seams that have been found with full dip systems. The coating in that Redistrip process I think would also give you problems with certain types of overpainting as well

Stuart.

Hi Graeme

Just to add, when I was doing the leg work and visiting several dipping companies, I found that most of them use a hydrochloric acid based cocktail which is cheap. Something like £3 per litre, yet it's also very aggressive and seems to run a high risk of residue left in the seams.

Whereas Envirostrip use a phosphoric acid based cocktail, just like all the car manufacturers. A lot more expensive at around £30 per litre, but not so aggressive and very diluteable. Anyway, I had a long discussion with a chemist friend of mine, who supported my humble opinion, that someone like Envirostrip using phosphoric acid was the safest way to go, if you want to dip the body etc

Best Bill