The most expensive TR so far?

Yes Alec, today there are more ORIGINAL Bugatti's available than ever were made, the same goes for Ferrari's etc..... with race history :ph34r:

I checked the race history of SHP... it looks like the car participated in 2 rallies but did not get very far both times, it finished a Classic Mille Miglia a few years ago, better say 1/2 Mille Miglia as it's today ;)

• 4 years later...
On 10/14/2014 at 9:44 PM, billp said:

Hmmmm....a joke price indeed a very large joke ....the car is as far as I know the genuine article, ie the car that Nancy Mitchell used in the 1957 MM driving for the works...how much of what i found under an appletree in Norfolk in 1996 (where it had been for 25 years) survives in the rebuild i do not know....it certainly still had the original engine when i found it but the body was an absolute wreck and the chassis rotten....I have the photographs to prove it.....if you look up your old TRactions for the later 1990's you'll find I advertised it for sale at £13000, needing full restoration, and despite its provenance, there were no takers...I could tell whoever buys it a lot about SHP 520's history, but frankly, i don't feel inclined to unless paid a whopping fee for my trouble....why should I add value to an already hugely inflated price? Answers on a postcard please !

As someone who values TRs for owners on occasions, I would put a max value on this car of about £130, 000, and that is far more than I'd pay personally, even if I had the cash....maybe I've just been around too long and have seen it all before, but then some senseless "banker" with an obscene bonus may yet come along and open his wallet, and at the end of the day, something is worth what someone(however daft) will pay for it.....Bill Piggott

Hi Bill I acquired SHP 520 a year ago and would love to show you the car. My intention is to show the car as much as poss and just had great outings with the Essex and North London TR clubs.. Plus MM this year.  On the plus side Im not a banker.. Ta Jon Curtis  joncurtis7@hotmail.com

I'm still wondering what my long door TR2 might be worth, therefore insured for, when it is complete.

It is TS3732 O. I am the 3rd owner, 1st owner 1954-1966, 2nd owner 1966 to 2017. It is pretty well all original, engine number etc.

I am restoring it to as close in specifications as it was when it left the dealer, albeit with body panels that do line up and a paint job that the factory would have liked to achieve.

It is signal red, brown leather trim and fawn weather gear (all from Skinners and professionally installed) as per the birth certificate. It has the steel wheels for driving and the wires in the garage in the background (with Dunlop Roadspeed tryes) for display. 

Currently has the high port head and carbies but I have a 'new' low port head and 1 1/2" carbies to fit after the engine has been run in.

The light wire running to the left hand bonnet release is a temporary 'emergency' release until I am confident in the original cables.

I have seen long doors advertised over there for 60-80,000 pds, not as recent or as original a restoration as this one.

Jul 19 Interior dash.JPG

Jul 19 interior fuel tank.JPG

Jul 19 rear left.JPG

Jul 19 right side.JPG

Jul 19 engine bay left side.JPG

Edited by John McCormack

John

I'm afraid I don’t enough about the model to dare suggest a value but I can say that it’s a great looking car and a credit to you and I have also learnt that the bonnet and boot hinges were  body colour. 

Nice 

H

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

John

I'm afraid I don’t enough about the model to dare suggest a value but I can say that it’s a great looking car and a credit to you and I have also learnt that the bonnet and boot hinges were  body colour. 

Nice 

H

Hi Hamish,

Thank you. The bonnet and boot hinges were body colour only on the early cars, all TR2s from memory.

What a belter !

Newly restored TR2 ( to customer spec) running around £50k over here. If you wanted full originality (or as much as can realistically be achieved) by a top company, then probably wouldn’t get change from £75-85k.

Market value is probably lower, as a really good car restored a few years back will certainly fetch £35-45k, so I’d reckon your idea of £60k  is not far from the mark given your level of originality, attention to detail and quality of restoration. Finding the RIGHT buyer is the trick. Any item for sale is only worth (monetarily) what someone will pay at any point in time.

Hope you enjoy it !

Best,

Chris

1 hour ago, cjstoodley said:

What a belter !

Newly restored TR2 ( to customer spec) running around £50k over here. If you wanted full originality (or as much as can realistically be achieved) by a top company, then probably wouldn’t get change from £75-85k.

Market value is probably lower, as a really good car restored a few years back will certainly fetch £35-45k, so I’d reckon your idea of £60k  is not far from the mark given your level of originality, attention to detail and quality of restoration. Finding the RIGHT buyer is the trick. Any item for sale is only worth (monetarily) what someone will pay at any point in time.

Hope you enjoy it !

Best,

Chris

Thanks Chris. My intention when I started was to sell it when finished. I can't justify having three TRs but I find I am better at buying and restoring than I am at selling.

I'll probably keep this one now. It drives very nicely with heaps of power but it won't get driven much, nice days for the occasional club run. I'll aim to keep it like new.

The short door TR2, and to a lesser extent the TR6, will remain the daily driver and long distance tourer.

But I would like to know what it might fetch, for my own curiosity and insurance.

Hi John  I see you have a temporary extra bonnet opening wire . I am not confident that my long door opening system will work reliably so i have added a permenant second pull similar to yours, I used a choke cable with outer sleeve mounted inside the bulkhead & clamped off close to the release mechanism   Keith

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, Peter V W said:

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum.

good to hear your car is up and running, would be interesting to 

see some photos.

regards

Peter V W

Hi Peter sorry about very late reply, just getting a grip with the forum..  Just going through the new Italian "easy" non bureaucratic registration docs for 2020 MM. SHP is looking good and drives very well testament to previous owners..  Loads of pictures from this years MM in link below.. 

871705.jpg

SHP 520 is looking good now, yes, but you should have seen it when I found it in the 1990's after 25 years open storage in a garden in Norwich ! Not a tribute to that particular previous owner, who'd managed to park it with the handbrake hard on ! After 25 years, we had to smash both rear drums to even get it off, as well as cut the apple tree growing through where the  floor had been...….Bill P.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 9:52 AM, John Morrison said:

Welcome Jon.

If you need any help with our forum - just ask.

John.

Hi I wonder if you or the community can shed some light on numbers !..  SHP520 ran the 1957 Mille Miglia as number 300. Got nice pictures entry numbers to prove this. But then bought a nice coffee table Mille Miglia book on the last 1957 race which had a picture of SHP with number 242 being painted on. But this had a front bumper so must not be taken at the Miglia..  So thought odd but must be wrong picture in book I thought..

Then found a great Youtube video of the 57 Miglia which clearly shows 242 being painted on the back of the car..  

minute 2.27 in from start clearly shows number 242 being painted on to SHP520.  Im just trying to figure out why 242 was painted on to the car..    Does not look like Mille Miglia will be on this year which a shame as car spent 3 months at Blakeney's motorsport getting it ready. Done a great job.. thanks in advance.. Jon

PS found this Youtube of the Alpine Rally 56 with a nice selection of TR's plus SHP520..

Mille book 1957.JPG

1957 300 sml.jpg

242 painted MM sml.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 15.16.37.png

I would thing this is an admin error. 242, would have put the a car in with the Touring cars at a 14.42 start time.

300, put the car in the correct class, GT’s, which is where Ken Richardson thought they had the best chance ( hence the GT kit being fitted). Start time 15.00hrs.

https://www.racingsportscars.com/entry/Mille_Miglia-1957-05-12.html

Iain

Edited by iain

SHP520 competed in the 1956 Alpine as #424, piloted by Richardson & Heathcote.  Car had front bumper and I can discern the number 424 on the bonnet in photo on p48 of Reydellet's Tome 1.

Also competed in 1957 Mille Miglia as #300, piloted by Mitchell & Faichney.  No front bumper. Photo on p223 of Reydellet's Tome 5.

Perhaps #242 was not when a Works' entry in an event?

Ian Cornish

19 hours ago, jon curtis said:

Hi I wonder if you or the community can shed some light on numbers !..  SHP520 ran the 1957 Mille Miglia as number 300. Got nice pictures entry numbers to prove this. But then bought a nice coffee table Mille Miglia book on the last 1957 race which had a picture of SHP with number 242 being painted on. But this had a front bumper so must not be taken at the Miglia..  So thought odd but must be wrong picture in book I thought..

Then found a great Youtube video of the 57 Miglia which clearly shows 242 being painted on the back of the car..  

minute 2.27 in from start clearly shows number 242 being painted on to SHP520.  Im just trying to figure out why 242 was painted on to the car..    Does not look like Mille Miglia will be on this year which a shame as car spent 3 months at Blakeney's motorsport getting it ready. Done a great job.. thanks in advance.. Jon

PS found this Youtube of the Alpine Rally 56 with a nice selection of TR's plus SHP520..

Mille book 1957.JPG

1957 300 sml.jpg

242 painted MM sml.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 15.16.37.png

So Works TR3 fitted 3A indicators pre-3A. Interesting. One of the many things I didn't know.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, John McCormack said:

I'm still wondering what my long door TR2 might be worth, therefore insured for, when it is complete.

It is TS3732 O. I am the 3rd owner, 1st owner 1954-1966, 2nd owner 1966 to 2017. It is pretty well all original, engine number etc.

I am restoring it to as close in specifications as it was when it left the dealer, albeit with body panels that do line up and a paint job that the factory would have liked to achieve.

It is signal red, brown leather trim and fawn weather gear (all from Skinners and professionally installed) as per the birth certificate. It has the steel wheels for driving and the wires in the garage in the background (with Dunlop Roadspeed tryes) for display. 

Currently has the high port head and carbies but I have a 'new' low port head and 1 1/2" carbies to fit after the engine has been run in.

The light wire running to the left hand bonnet release is a temporary 'emergency' release until I am confident in the original cables.

I have seen long doors advertised over there for 60-80,000 pds, not as recent or as original a restoration as this one.

Jul 19 Interior dash.JPG

Jul 19 interior fuel tank.JPG

Jul 19 rear left.JPG

Jul 19 right side.JPG

Jul 19 engine bay left side.JPG

Nice car John someday I will have my 55 tr3 back on the road say it seems to have later carbs and manifold on it.

45 minutes ago, friarmike said:

Nice car John someday I will have my 55 tr3 back on the road say it seems to have later carbs and manifold on it.

No black grab handle? And routing of pipe in bulkhead? Just wondering. I'm not into total originality, but if you are... it will affect the value.

1 hour ago, David Brancaleone said:

No black grab handle? And routing of pipe in bulkhead? Just wondering. I'm not into total originality, but if you are... it will affect the value.

Grab handle is on. The bulkhead piping is the same as my other TR2 which was unmodified when I bought it.

Edited by John McCormack
Just now, John McCormack said:

Grab handle is on. The bulkhead piping it is the same as my other TR2 which was unmodified when I bought it.

Ok. Couldn't see it.

Strange angular routing? Never seen it done that way, instead of following the curve of the bulkhead.

7 minutes ago, David Brancaleone said:

Ok. Couldn't see it.

Strange angular routing? Never seen it done that way, instead of following the curve of the bulkhead.

Apologies, the grab handle wasn't on in those shots, it went on a few days later.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Yes and the grab handle is the slightly narrower TR2 one.

1 minute ago, David Brancaleone said:

Yes and the grab handle is the slightly narrower TR2 one.

That is right. The first owner only used the car for racing in it first 10 years. The 2nd owner bought it but didn't get around to restoring it. I bought it from him as a nearly completely 2 owner original TR2, albeit in two trailer loads of bits.

It has what is probably the last brand new Stanpart TR2 wiring loom.