Has anyone installed the o/d selector switch onto the gear lever. I know that a new lever would have to be manufactured, but would a lever from a Stag or Dolly fit?

Edited by daven

It is possible to cut down and re-thread a saloon or dolly sprint gear lever. I have one fitted to my TR6. Can't remember which one I used though. Probably a Dolomite sprint as I had a few of the gearboxes about the garage at the time. I am sure others have done the same and have better memories than mine :(

Tony

Hi,

Use the gearlever from a Triumph 2000/2500 saloon, but you will need to shorten it to suit. Worked fine on a 6 that I had. However, an overdrive logic box from Revington is a better bet in my opinion and is easier to use, but a more costly option.

Regards

GoGuy

I have the logic box controlled by a momentary switch implanted in a saloon gear knob with the top 4" of saloon stick grafted onto a TR4 stick. I like it as I ran XJ6 manuals for years with the O/D switch there.

Stuart.

I was considering doing so, and I have an overdrive switch designed for the purpose, but I think Stuart's suggestion to go with a momentary switch rather than a slide on/off switch is a better option.

I have a simple two relay based overdrive controller that is very low cost that works with a momentary switch should anyone be interested.

TT

Hi Daven,

I have a big Healey toggle switch type knob in my TR3A and it works a treat. It is no taller than the standard knob and fits straight onto the gear stick, although I had already shortened mine to give a bit more knuckle room unfer the dash.

regards,

Willie

Probably not relevant for a TR6, but the Stag type (or T2000, T2.5PI ) gear knob with O/D switch has the correct dia thread for a TR3,

but the thread is UNF, where as the original TR thread is much finer. I ran a UNF die down mine in anticipation of fitting a T2000 knob

(came with the box I am using) it fits just fine, but as yet have not decided to use it, instead am using the standard dash mounted pull switch.

& a wooden gear knob also threaded UNF.

Bob.