self cancelling indicator clip

Having never had self cancelling indicators I thought I would bring my tr into the 21st century.

I haven't got the self cancelling clip fitted so I`ve ordered one ,but how is it secured to the inner shaft.

I seem to have two very shallow holes on the shaft 180degrees apart where the clip obviously fits .

It looks as though maybe there were once screws in these holes and they have been sheared just below the surface of the shaft,does this sound possible, I wouldn't have though that they should be that tight. If so I may have to get my drill out unless anyones got

any better ideas,or does the clip simply snap into place

cheers Dave

Hi Dave

Are you sure the clip isn't sprung and when pushed over the column, locates in those two holes?

Find it hard to believe that two screws would sheer off in this location as there is no corrosion in this area.

The parts manual does not list fixing screws.

Edited by boxofbits

I couldn't see any fixing screws in any of the usual parts catalogues either,so fingers crossed that it is sprung as you say.

I`ll know more when the clip arrives but I have my doubts that its that simple even though theres no real pressure on the clip when its operated so screws would possibly be a bit OTT.

Dave

Thanks for your helpful replies and the photos as well .Looking forward to having cancelling indicators now for the first

time in sixteen years :) :)

Dave

Hi Dave,

It's quite possible that you may have to adjust the position of the steering shaft if your clip doesn't sit at 3 O'clock with your wheels straight ahead. You do this by moving it round a few splines or so....ask me how I know.... :D

Cheers

Tony

Well clips arrived but it seems that my shaft and steering wheel need repositioning.

Indentations in the shaft are at 3 and 9 oclock with the road wheels straight ahead,which means that the ridge on the clip is at either

6 or 12 oclock.

Tony in previous reply says that the ridge should be at 3 oclock,ie that it sits between the levers of the indicator switch in its normal position,can anyone confirm this for me.I don't want to put it back together in the wrong orientation and bugger the clip or worse still the indicator switch when its operated.

cheers Dave

Hi Dave

Yes but you are best to first make sure both track rods on the steering rack are the same length, i.e the number of threads showing on each track rod end are equal when the wheels are parallel or 16th toe in, thereabouts.

Then reinstall the column with the wheels straight ahead, and the spring clip at 3 'o clock, so that the self cancel is centralised. ( you might have to run it down the road before completely reassembling all the column bits and pieces to ensure it drives in a straight line with the column in the right position). Have fun!

Hope that helps

Boxy

Hi Dave

No such thing as a simple 5 minute job on a TR6. :o

Make a tea or coffee first thats the first minute gone, at least 5-10 minutes to think the task ahead through, the same again to get the required tools out or find then just depends how organised you are! so at best 11 minutes or 21 at worst :o:o

Phone a friend to explain the complicated task you are about to undertake & check out when your next beer is!! Now that could be say 10 minutes or 20 so now 21 or 41 minutes & counting. After all that maybe another tea or coffee 22 or 42 minutes. :lol:

Then comes your first problem & you wish you hadn't started, or worst still you uncover another job needs doing! :wacko: Sounds familier!! bet there is as least another 15 minutes so now at best 37 minutes or at worst 57 minutes the first hour is approaching rapidly & how far have you got?

It always seems like time goes faster when I am in the garage or is it just me??

So the 5 minute job seems to last for 2 or maybe 3 hours, ring any bells with anyone??? :lol:

Cheers

Mike B)

Dave,

Just to confirm that the ridge should sit midway between the indicator switch fingers when the steering is straight ahead. That will be 3 o'clock on UK cars. Mine is different as I moved the switch to the left of the column so I don't get confused changing between the TR and the modern.

If you park up with the wheels straight ahead you should be able to split the column at the joint at the firewall. Then reposition the column so the clip is correctly lined up and remake the splined joint. Then reposition the steering wheel. It's a bit fiddly as you need to remove the clamp/Allen screw at the firewall and it's important that this goes back properly or the horn ring might not work properly.

Best of luck.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your suggestions on tackling this,its exactly the way I thought was probably best,and I`m in total agreement with Mike on his thoughts that one job turns into

another,then another,and by the time you stick your head outside the garage door its pitch black and everyones coming home from the pub.

Still happy days :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

regards everyone Dave

Just to confirm that the ridge should sit midway between the indicator switch fingers when the steering is straight ahead. That will be 3 o'clock on UK cars. Mine is different as I moved the switch to the left of the column so I don't get confused changing between the TR and the modern.

Pete

Did you just rebend the indicator arm, or purchase one for a 'left hooker'?

The indicator switch is repositioned on the left in place of the lighting switch. Rotate the column to position the cancelling clip at the 9 o'clock position. Just swing the whole thing round 180 degrees. It works just the same. Then you need to get a LHD lighting switch which goes where the indicator switch used to be. You could reuse the original but it will work upside down and not agree with the cowl markings. These have to be replace with LHD transfers. If you have a 4 then the lighting switch isn't an issue. It's a real boon and the only downside is that the headlamp flash is now on the right.

Edited by peejay4A
  • 2 years later...

Just trying to split the upper splined steering column joint so I can position the self cancelling clip correctly but it's solid. Any tips please?

Alan.

Hi Alan,

there are two problems -

1 - the splines are corroded together

2 - the whole assembly is not solid/rigid so when you hammer it it all moves around so dissipating the hammer blow.

Soak the joint in PlasGas for as long as possible.

Are both sides of the joint stuck. TRy removing the other side.

Roger

Correct it just locates in the two dimples....see attached!

I've taken my column out and replaced the two bushes.

What's the part no. for this? My indicators only self cancel turning left any ideas why?

Cheers

Hi DRD,

I would suggest that the clip is there but 180' out. If you jacked up the fornt wheels and turned the wheel right for a good full turn and then back it would self cancel.

Or the right ear on the switch has come adrift.

Roger

Have a look at my post number 14. Also as Roger points out, check that both ears on the indicator switch and their little springs are present.

Ok thanks guys I'll check this.

Darren