Having had a quick look at the underneath of my recently imported TR250 when it was being MOT'ed, I can see that the underside of the body and chassis are seriously unprepared for the rigours of our weather. Some bits are painted black, some are new e.g.. floor panels and some are showing bare metal where the paint has worn off. Fortunately it looks pretty rust free at the moment.

I am not sure what paint has been used previously, but I would like to get on and coat it in something protective and then add a liberal coat of wax on top.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that would cover up existing paint (perhaps with a de-grease first) without having to strip everything back?

POR-15 seems to be popular but I have no experience of using it or how much prep it would need?

Any thoughts welcome before winter strikes!

Ali

Check out this stuff

PU Tarfree Mio

, also Zinga Cold galvanizing paint. I spoke to the Technical manager and at the time they were painting a chassis for XK150s. The finish is very nice silky black and it seems to be first class.

Rgds

Rod

DO NOT use POR15 for this job. It does not stick to existing paint.

You would have a lot of prep work to do to get it to work.

It's great on metal that is paint free and prepared with phosphoric acid or similar.

I think Bondaprimer would be good here.

Clean it all back and wire brush all the loose/flaking stuff off and then a good coat of Bondarust http://www.autopaint-pro.co.uk/1l-bonda-rust-primer-121-p.asp then any paint of your choice before a good coat coating of Waxoyl or similar.

Stuart.

Hi Ali,

painting between the floor pan and the top of the chassis rail will be difficult due to the small gap.

Clean as best as possible with white spirit and a thin rag.

Comma do a wax spray in an aerosol with a long nozzle (ebay). I find this easy to use in this area - get plenty in there and re-do annually

Roger

My recommendation:

Linseed Oil/Candle Wax/Kerosene 50:40:10 by volume, spray it hot with a schutz gun over the whole underside & into any cavities.

Linseed Oil hardens on exposure to air so the whole lot solidifies pretty quick, but it remains flexible and is an excellent moisture barrier.

Linseed also protects bare metal - hence it's ancient use on guns & other steel parts.