Mike

I bought 5L for £16 a few months back, from Asda, for my last oil change.This was " cheap " compared to the usual sources at the time.£8 sounds a real steal.

I change my oil and oil filter more frequently than the recommend interval.I don't race / thrash the car so begrudge using oil at circa £20 + a time.

Unless you've got a special engine that's been worked on, it's a basic old lump of a power unit.

Manufacturers would laugh at the engine tolerances, compared to a modern engine coming off the production line.

If it meets the Specifications and the cost is reasonable I'll try any recognised Brand ! You pays your money and you make the choice.

At £8 I'd better make a special trip to Asda !!

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

I expect Zee Dopey Deal Pits the tappets.

If the Asda oil is safe to use in moderns with catalytic convertors its nbg for TRs with flat tappets.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Peter

It only refers to it being suitable for pre 1990 higher mileage engines. As i am doing less than 2000 miles a year without anything other than 70 (or 80 in France) on motorway runs

Overcome with a fit of meanness I decided to think about it so probably there will be none left!

Cheap supermarket oils are used oil, filtered and re-refined. Nothing wrong with that if it's done properly, but the vendors then save more money by omitting all the usual protective additives, from antioxidants to ZDDP, beloved of fleet managers who wouldn't change it in three years. That may not be a problem for cars like ours that should get new oil every year, if they need it or not, so the oil won't have time to 'wear out', as it would hammering up and down the motorway every day.

And, its ideal running-in oil that won't promote glazing of the bores, but you do need to make sure about zinc, and you can buy bottles of the good stuff to pop into your sump yourself. I always use Lucas (not that Lucas!) Break-in Oil Additive: http://www.24mx.co.uk/lucas-oil-break-in-oil-additive?utm_source=googleshopUK&utm_medium=Add&utm_campaignMX+Parts%2FOils+%26+Lubricants%2FOther=&utm_content=Lucas+Oil+Break+in+Oil+Additive&gclid=CPyX9eeAjMECFYXJtAodU1QAug (Other products are available). It's not cheap, but in a gallon of £8 cheapo you can't do better!

John

Hi at the risk being shot as sheep, and believing the propaganda of big oil :-)

What is the actual cost saving? £20 per year, compared to the piece of mind of believing you have good quality oil doing no harm to the heart of your car.

Each to his or her own, but the risk/reward does not stack up for me as I, as I am sure most do, lavish love and care on our cars and saving £20 a year seems odd, to me.

But you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Mark

What is the actual cost saving? £20 per year, compared to the piece of mind of believing you have good quality oil doing no harm to the heart of your car.

Each to his or her own, but the risk/reward does not stack up for me as I, as I am sure most do, lavish love and care on our cars and saving £20 a year seems odd, to me.

Mark

Yes Mark I tend to agree with you. I put quality oils in the engine, gearbox & diff. & change or keep everything topped up regularly. I also use quality plugs, filters etc. The reason, because I have 2 quality condition TR's & want to do the best to keep them that way. Each to their own but I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for & in my view that goes for most things.

Cheers.

Mark

Agreed

Mark

Could not agree more Mark

Totally nonsense IMHO even if the saving was £60 per year.

Prompts another question, what would you pay per year for insurance against an engine rebuild?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike3739

Cheap supermarket oils are used oil, filtered and re-refined. Nothing wrong with that if it's done properly, but the vendors then save more money by omitting all the usual protective additives, from antioxidants to ZDDP, beloved of fleet managers who wouldn't change it in three years. That may not be a problem for cars like ours that should get new oil every year, if they need it or not, so the oil won't have time to 'wear out', as it would hammering up and down the motorway every day.

And, its ideal running-in oil that won't promote glazing of the bores, but you do need to make sure about zinc, and you can buy bottles of the good stuff to pop into your sump yourself. I always use Lucas (not that Lucas!) Break-in Oil Additive: http://www.24mx.co.uk/lucas-oil-break-in-oil-additive?utm_source=googleshopUK&utm_medium=Add&utm_campaignMX+Parts%2FOils+%26+Lubricants%2FOther=&utm_content=Lucas+Oil+Break+in+Oil+Additive&gclid=CPyX9eeAjMECFYXJtAodU1QAug (Other products are available). It's not cheap, but in a gallon of £8 cheapo you can't do bette

John

Can you please post the backup that proves that the ASDA oil is a re refined used oil.

I would be surprised if they are re-refined but I am tempted to ask for more manufacturing details.

They also do own brand diesel mineral oil for £16 and semi and full synthetics for £20.

They would be taking a heck of a risk if any modern vehicles suffered damage from oils with full classifications stated

http://direct.asda.com/Car-Maintenance/AD080402,default,sc.html?prefn1=productType&prefv1=Engine%20Oil&fix=&showHits=

Perhaps we should be using this? :rolleyes:

http://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/penrite-20w60-classic-triumph-oil-1981-p.asp

Or at least ask why we should be using this?

No I haven't used it!

Hi Iain, well that is certainly cheaper than the Castrol Classic from Moss/Rimmer, etc and the £27 included delivery.

Just a though if the gods that be are reading, might be good to highlight the shops wares to the registered member in some sort of news letter or Electronic method, as I tend not to think of the TR Register shop when looking for things, which might be an oversight on my part.

Apologies if they already do this and I've missed this for some reason.

Mark

"....full of detegents & additives..."

Perhaps just what you don't want in an old-school engine if the additives are not the right ones? Recommended reading is a small book called - 'Which Oil ?' by Richard Michell ISBN 978-1-845843-65-6. Covers engine and transmission oils and greases for classic and vintage cars. Very informative and well written - apparently he is an oil industry professional who runs old cars himself.

Rob

"....full of detegents & additives..."

Perhaps just what you don't want in an old-school engine if the additives are not the right ones? Recommended reading is a small book called - 'Which Oil ?' by Richard Michell ISBN 978-1-845843-65-6. Covers engine and transmission oils and greases for classic and vintage cars. Very informative and well written - apparently he is an oil industry professional who runs old cars himself.

Rob

+1

Peter

John

Can you please post the backup that proves that the ASDA oil is a re refined used oil.

Of course not, Eddy! D'ye think that Asda will tell Joe H. Public where it gets its ultra cheap engine oil?

But I did't mention Asda, you did.

Read this report, form Oakdene Hollins, "a research and consulting company promoting moresustainable and less carbon-intensive products" To re-refine oil is a sensible,economic and green policy, and as I said above, properly doen gives a perfectly respectable product. http://www.oakdenehollins.co.uk/pdf/Waste_Oils_Report_2.pdf

And this report from the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry, that explains how it is done. http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/energy/7B.pdf In common with other industries, such glass (cullet) and iron foundries (scrap iron and steel), petroleum regularly eats its own effluent in refining prodducts that once were made only fro mined minerals, to our advantage.

John

Duckhams 20-50 that my 6 sipped for 150k miles in '70s was reportedly recycled sump oil. And the crank journals are still standard and within spec.

Even so I would enquire about the ZDDP in that Asda stuff. Too liitle is bad, and too much is bad. Has to be at the Goldilocks level. It stops the cam followers eating the cam lobes.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Peter, hi, so what's the magic zddp content then. I'm using Comma 20/50 mineral oil in mine on the assumption its OK ?

Millers Classic 20/50 for me. Non synthetic with ZDDP in the right amounts apparently & reasonable prices from either Opie oils or Classic Oils in Aylesbury depending who is offering the best deal & postage @ the time. You also get good advice from Guy Lachlan @ Classic Oils too if you are undecided!

Cheers,

Monty.