TR6 hood fittings

I have just purchased a replacement mohair hood.

The old one had a wide strip or flap centrally sown in to the hood with dot fasteners at either end, that wrapped around the rear and fwd transverse top hoops of the hood frame. (In other words dot fasteners were not mounted on the frame itself, just both sides of the hood strip) when the dot fasteners were popped together it formed a loop or pocket around the frame hoop and therefore stopped the hood ballooning at speed.

The new hood, which has yet to have any dot fasteners applied, has only a narrow strip effectively half the width of the old one, and sown on to the hood along one edge. Therefore its not wider enough to wrap right around the frame hoop and form a pocket or complete loop.

Is this correct.?

If so, should one end of the dot fastener be screwed to the actual frame hoop itself and the other end of the fastener fixed to the strip on the hood .?

Or should the new hood actually be exactly as the old one.?

Malcolm

Don't know if it helps, but, I have seen both the types you describe.

My 6 was built in 1975 and has the shorter strip at the rear frame hoop only.

The frame has 5 dot fasteners fixed to it and the hood is fastened to these.

There is no strip at the front frame hoop and no obvious signs of there ever having been one

My point?

Your new hood is good, but, I would suggest contacting the supplier, just to be sure there is not a mimic of your old hood available.

Malcolm if you look at the hood frame you should find holes or perhaps even dots. The original vinyl hoods had fasteners that clipped onto dots on the hood rails. If you have holes and no dots then you will need to rivet new dots in place and match these to fasteners you have fitted to the inside of the hood. I have two mohair hoods one like your old one and one like your new one.

David