I spent the best part of the weekend stripping down the chassis of my 1960 L/H drive 3a that I've recently acquired; something that is puzzling me is that in parts where I've been able to see the paint layers the original colour appears to be light blue. When I took off the engine mounts and steering box off these also had the same colour blue underneath them. I'm assuming that this is perhaps a primer layer but is it possible that some cars left the factory with different colours applied to the chassis or were a customer preference?

I'm waiting for the vehicle trace records from Bill Piggott but from memory this doesn't detail chassis colour.

Thanks

Graeme

The factory painted them in whatever colour was available in the gun at the time.Contemporary B&W film often shows light or white coloured chassis.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Is there any truth in the story that the "works " chassis were painted white so they could spot cracks earlier? This leading to the changes in the chassis evolution and stiffening of the shocker mounts and front towers?

thanks for all the replies gents, coincidentally I received the vehicle trace from Bill Piggott in the post today which tells me that whilst the car is currently in what appears to be Primrose Yellow it actually left the factory in a colour scheme of Black with Red Leather. This surprised me as the tub has obviously had a thorough re-spray at some point in its life span and there is no hint of Black, all areas that would ordinarily be in original body colour (wheel areches, under carpet areas, under car etc.) are in the same yellow. Also I thought the originaly spec of the seats was vinyl as opposed to leather?

On the original subject of chassis colour; I think I'll stick with Black as I'm not sold on a colour scheme of Black on a light blue chassis!

Graeme

My Italia has a light blue chassis underneath the Vignale factory finish.

We have a video of factory TR3 assembly with several light coloured chassis visible.

Does Graham know any way we can spot the Italia ones?

AFIK when the chassis left the factory they were in standard form and the different mounts were done in Italy so no way to tell which is which.

Stuart.

I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new in May 1958. I had the S-T dealer apply an undercoating of black tar down below before I went to pick it up. In 1987, I stripped the TR for a full body-off restoration. It was then that I removed the rest of the tar still on the chassis etc. That's when I found out it left the factory with the chassis painted primrose yellow. When my TR was built in Feb. 1958, Primrose Yellow was not even a TR colour yet.

I wrote to Bill Piggott and at that time, he said he had never heard of any sidescreen TR chassis painted a different colour than black. He added that is why they call it the black-works. With Bill Piggott's advice, we decided that I could do no wrong painting the chassis black. That's what I did.

Since then, I have seen a smallmouth TR3 and also a 2 TR3As with the chassis painted red. I have seen one in Powder Blue as well. Several have concluded that the chassis were all built by outside parts manufacturers and when they were painting any body of car any colour, the painter would empty the remains in his paint gun where it might do some good - such as on a TR chassis.

See mine in 1987 where the yellow chassis can be seen on the angled front support struts.

It is a novel custom today that many restores are painting the chassis any colour they like, as long as it was a colour available around the time of the assembly of the TR.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, really interesting history regarding how the factory dealt with finishing the chassis but I think I'll stick with Black; I'm keen to retain the original spec but I can't see powder blue with black body & red interior somehow!!

• 5 years later...

I have a one owner 1960 TR3 LHD Signal Red 94,000m car which the chassis is painted Light Blue.Was suprised when i steam ceaned off all the dirt and waxoil. But Hey Ho  genuine factory finish!

*I have left the chassis in original Powder Blue and will Clear Waxoyl it, to show off its History.

rhRtCOmCSfCGLdYz+cpomw.jpg

Edited by StevesTR3
Picture included

Mine has evidence of red in the awkward crevices.....I reckon repainted by the works, as no way was it red in period.

Iain

Ps it’s not going to be red now either. :-)

11 hours ago, iain said:

Mine has evidence of red in the awkward crevices.....I reckon repainted by the works, as no way was it red in period.

Iain

Ps it’s not going to be red now either. :-)

You never know it might have been as I have seen lots of mix and match colours chassis to body.

Stuart.

Mine is Post Office red and I like it. However I have trouble keeping the bodywork clean let alone cleaning the chassis. I have a pressure washer for use after a muddy drive, but it is hard to reach all corners.  I did have the chassis zinc coated at the rebuild which seems to have helped. So some of the chassis is old oil colour ( as designed by ST ).             Richard & B

Edited by Richardtr3a
Clarity