Back on the road after 6 year restoration - With pictures...

Back in the early '60s my Dad owned a Silverstone Grey TR3a. It was his first 'nice' car after being promoted at AVRO. He met my Mum, they got married and drove the TR to the Alps for their honeymoon. A couple of years later I came along and Dad had to trade in his beloved TR3a for a Ford Anglia... Since then every time I have bought a new sports car Dad would plant his tongue in his cheek and say "Nice car. I used to have a sports car once son, then you came along..."

So for his 75th birthday I bought him a TR3a to shut him up. A road-legal car in need of TLC that he could use right away but that we could improve over time. Like most TRs she leaked quite a bit of oil, mostly around the Ferguson rope rear crank seal so we pulled the engine out to have the seal upgrade and while they were at it we got the unleaded work done and a full engine rebuild. The previous owner had been running the gearbox with no oil and I neglected to check before driving it home and destroying the box so that was binned and a restored syncro-box ordered. With the engine and box out we thought it would be silly not to strip and repaint the engine bay. One thing led to another and the result was a six year, ground-up restoration with everything either restored, replaced, rebuilt or re-engineered (fortunately Dad'a hobby is making steam engines so he has a fantastic workshop).

Due to the fact that we are both engineers (and particularly in my Dad's case; perfectionists) there are further improvements to come (fitting hard top, hood, sidecreens and a number of tweaks to stuff we are not happy with) but on Saturday we drove her over for her first MOT since the rebuild. She passed without any advisories and the tester, a classic car enthusiast, said it was one of the best examples he has seen. Apologies, I don't usually blow my own trumpet (I can't quite reach) but that's not bad for a Bodger and old Codger. I just wanted to share this with those of you who understand what it means to personally take a car on the brink and restore it back to (and perhaps a little beyond) its former glory....

Cheers!

Ian

DSC018471.jpg

DSC018461.jpg

DSC018451.jpg

DSC018411.jpg

DSC018391.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

Edited by boggie

Ian, your car looks absolutely superb,certainly beyond it's former glory and the panel gaps that your achieved are I'm sure better than when it left the factory. I love the colour as well, I've just bought a 1960 model that looks very similar, what is it? Mine is on steel wheels but having looked at your pictures, she looks great on wires so I'm not sure now!

Well done to you & your Father, you should both feel suitably proud of what you've achieved and its great to see another of these great cars back on the road!

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

The colour is Triumph Primrose Yellow, later renamed to Pale Yellow. Originally the car was Red but when she was first restored in the late 70s she got the primrose coat. We considered returning her to Red and briefly toyed with the idea of Silverstone grey but decided to keep her primrose.

Ian

Nice.

I note the car has a Guernsey Registration plate.

Cheers

GUY

A bit of a Photoshop job. The car has a UK 4x number, 2x letter plate but for security I always either change or remove numberplates on public forums after a friend started receiving speeding and parking tickets for a city the other end of the country. Turned out that someone had cloned his plate and the Police told him the most likely source was from his pictures on the car forum (not this one). Apparently it is quite common.

Great looking car! I love that colour. The red lined doorpocket is a nice feature. And, the under-bonnet details look good as well! What's the relay next to the coil?

Menno

Thanks Menno and well spotted! It is a fused relay for the Kenlow electric cooling fan.

Hi Ian,

you have done very well indeed. You must have had the biggest grin on your face driving it home after the MOT

Roger

That would be an understatement...

:)

Great looking car, I notice you have fitted a plastic in-line fuel filter and it's just above the exhaust manifold, please keep a watchful eye on it as it posssibly might become brittle being exposed to all that heat, perhaps re-locate it further away, as an ex-fireman I have seen too many cars destroyed by fire caused by fuel leaks and I would hate that to happen here. Again well done.

Great looking car, I notice you have fitted a plastic in-line fuel filter and it's just above the exhaust manifold, please keep a watchful eye on it as it posssibly might become brittle being exposed to all that heat, perhaps re-locate it further away, as an ex-fireman I have seen too many cars destroyed by fire caused by fuel leaks and I would hate that to happen here. Again well done.

No problem on the TR as it is a glass / chromed brass filter with a removable fine gauze for cleaning. Good point though: there is a disposable plastic filter on my vintage land rover. I will change it....

Great looking car Ian, thanks for the pictures and the story behind the project. It is quite an accomplishment to stick with a project like this for 6 years and come out with such a great result.

Was the omission of the stone guards a design decision or did you give up in frustration trying to get them to fit ?.

Stan

Great looking car Ian, thanks for the pictures and the story behind the project. It is quite an accomplishment to stick with a project like this for 6 years and come out with such a great result.

Was the omission of the stone guards a design decision or did you give up in frustration trying to get them to fit ?.

Stan

Put the fight with poor Moss copies on hold whllst I try and find some restorable originals....

Cheers

Thanks Chaps, much appreciated.