tr6 throttle butterflies

i got my 5 done years ago by hawktune but when i asked about my dellortos he wasnt keen so might be modern stuff only now

Ron Harper has a TR and a few lads had stuff done

also i had my 6 done at motorscope on the rolling road (dellortos)

david

Thanks for the advice, have sent an enquiring e-mail, will let you know how I get on.

frank

You can try searching the forum this topic comes up quite often!

I find it easier to use Google, ending the search string with:

site:TR-register.co.uk

So try Giggle with:

butterflies site:TR-register.co.uk

You'll know more about TR6 butterflies than the garage!

Peter

Setting them is very easy, it just takes a bit of patience and a gunson carb balancer. You did not mention whether yours is a CP or CR. If you look in the Brown Book there is a section on setting them up. Read it but ignore the bit about feeler gauges as what you are trying to do is start by getting all the butterflies closed, then all opening "as one". Have a look in the book and let us know if you need any help.

As opined by Red6, its not hard. I've set mine up and don't have a carb balancer.loosen off the shaft that connects to the butterfly's, ensure they are all closed,then adjust shaft so its there is a small gap before the butterfly's start to move and just ensure they all open and close together.Did mine by sight ,minor adjustment after first use and they are fine now. Its a 30 main to an hour.

The problems come when the spindle drillings in the manifold are worn, or the butterflies have been attacked by bending on the spindle. Or the linkage has been bent, or nylon parts worn away.

Frank

one of the lads in the register was selling a balancer new in box for a tenner as i was going to buy it but lost touch with me woring away

he lives in morpeth

PM me and i can let you have the details

regards

david

Thanks but already got a carb balancer.

Setting them is very easy, it just takes a bit of patience and a gunson carb balancer. You did not mention whether yours is a CP or CR. If you look in the Brown Book there is a section on setting them up. Read it but ignore the bit about feeler gauges as what you are trying to do is start by getting all the butterflies closed, then all opening "as one". Have a look in the book and let us know if you need any help.

Mine is a CP, engine rebuilt 2k miles ago with kent fast road cam.vernier timing gear, new metering unit and timed distributer to cam(Prestige Dev. Inj). Underslung linkage on throttles. I have set the butterflies(and yes closing the air bleed off with my thumb does stop the engine) after replacing a twisted spindle and clocked up 700 miles to try and re-establish some sort of seal between the butterflies and manifold body. Running at 30mph in 4th gear the engine is hesitant but runs smoother with a little choke applied but still destroys your street cred.

As an aside the pulley wheel on my alternator split in two! new 45amp alternator from BB Classics with pulley and fan, vat and delivery- £39.99. rather cheap I thought, anyway it arrived today and is first class so check out some of the competition.

As opined by Red6, its not hard. I've set mine up and don't have a carb balancer.loosen off the shaft that connects to the butterfly's, ensure they are all closed,then adjust shaft so its there is a small gap before the butterfly's start to move and just ensure they all open and close together.Did mine by sight ,minor adjustment after first use and they are fine now. Its a 30 main to an hour.

Only ever set them with an air flow meter but shall try your method

The problems come when the spindle drillings in the manifold are worn, or the butterflies have been attacked by bending on the spindle. Or the linkage has been bent, or nylon parts worn away.

Your right, already had to change one twisted spindle on No.5 inlet, I am fast reconciling the fact I may have to replace all inlet manifolds.

Since a bit extra fuel cures the hesistation then adjusting a MU spring might be a better route.

Doubt there's a garage in NE can do that, but its DIY (sort of). But that's after you have checked fuel pressure is OK.

If you have a new refurb'd M/U then the very last thing to do is to start fiddling with it. I suggest you examine what is happening at 30 mph in 4th which would be about 1500rpm?

If you can lay your hands on a colour tune that would help. Set the car to idle at 1500 using the air bleed screw and see if the engine is running weak. If that is the case then send the M/U back to prestige for recalibration.

Can I ask if this problem has just started or has it been like it from when the engine was done?

Some problems often overlooked is fuel pressure (as mentioned) ,for long term ownership buy a fuel pressure gauge, and it is surprising the effect a faulty or maladjusted PRV can have on the engines running also true of the fuel pump.

Double check the M/U timing even if you know it to be correct.

Check that the advance retard mechanism is actually working and not as I recently discovered on a rebuilt dizzy, seized!

I wont go into cam timing but that is next on the list.

Incorrectly adjusted butterflies cause hesitation and banging on acceleration, and spindles have to be very worn indeed to make any difference to the cars performance due to the volume of air being sucked in through the butterflies in normal running.