Hi Folks,

I fitted a my rebuilt gearbox a couple of weeks ago. Since then a couple of oil leaks have appeared.

I have spoken to the workshop and they are happy to have it back and see what they can do but that is not for another week+.

Today I stripped the inside of the car out to see what is going on.

There are a number of small stains rather than leaks - inhibit switches, a top housing screw that I disturbed for a 'P' clip etc.

I notice that the greater leak ( very leaky) was coming from the underside of the selector rod box.

Question 1 - can I remove the selector rod box off the top of the GB by simply undoing those few screws,

Any unforseen problems in doing so.

Question 2 - do the selector rods have oil seals ('o'rings etc).

thanks in anticipation

Roger

Easy to take off, just undo 6 screws, & lift off.

To replace you must make sure the selector forks drop over the synchro hubs correctly, & that the reverse selector also engages as it should.

Bob.

I find it helps to put the box in neutral before removing the top cover and make sure the reverse selector engages when replacing.

Here is a good description of replacing the O rings: http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxCover/GearboxCover.htm

. The O rings are a common size -112 and should be available at an auto parts, hardware store, or industrial supplier (at least that what they are called in the colonies).

Berry

Hi Folks,

cleaned the outside of the box and covered with chalk. Took car for a 10 mile drive and then looked to see what was going on.

No leaks from the selector rod holes - perhaps what was wet there was a residue.

Everything looked OK.

I then spied by accident an oil drop on the downward pointing lug below the alignment arm.

The nut above this has a spring washer so doesn't seal too well - should it!!

I've replaced the spring washer with a fibre washer and coated with hylomar - fingers crossed.

I shall not disturb the selector rods unless a definite leak is observed.

Roger

Isn't. "very leaky" normal?

The underside of 'olde smokey' looks like a Texan version of Old Mother Shipton's cave