Steering Rack Conversion

The conversions differ - some will reduce the turning circle. Ask the supplier concerned about effect on turning circle and such things as: is it a bolt-on conversion or is some welding required; does it confer any other advantages.

Ian Cornish

hi, I got mine from tr bitz, has a mini left hand drive rack , has a fitting kit , complete with instructions for fitting, you will need the adjustable top steering column, if not will be an extra cost for you , also you will need to fit a turn indicator, and new steering wheel,

Hi Alexander ~

I fitted the TR Bitz conversion which I modified before fitting. I also fitted my TR3A with a Mini Cooper Mk.2

four way indicator/horn/dip switch/flasher unit which I made self cancelling.

If you'd like photo's of all the above then please PM me your eMail address.

Cheers ~

Tom.

PS: You don't need the adjustable steering column but a two piece steering column.

thanks everyone, I'm just stripping the steering box due to excessive play and poor feel during sundays day out, one bearing race is damaged still to check top race and worm. Looks like I will have to move to a rack if damage is excessive to the worm, hence my question.

Alexander

Its very often the pin in the Pitman arm that wears the most. New ones are available and with that and the spring loaded adjuster from Revingtons you can usually reclaim the box.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

thanks for the information, I've got the bottom race out but now need to take the steering box out of the car to get to the worm,top race and pitman arm. I'm assuming there is no easy way to remove the box and the front of the car will have to come off

Alexander

If you have a split column 3a then it is just possible to get it out without but otherwise its just easier to take the front off and then do all the other jobs that you have been putting off for ages in that area at the same time. ;)

Stuart.

Removed and stripped the steering box today. Upper bearing cage totally shot, shaft above worm has damaged, worm bearing face damaged. So it does look like my only option is a rack conversion.

I’d like to keep the wide fan belt if possible but know I have to remove the fan, do I need to remove the “extension fan hub” as well ?.

Tom Holland has been good enough to send me photo’s of his solution for horn and indicators.

Thanks

Alexander

Hi Alex, you don't have to remove the fan, I have a TR Bitz rack conversion and still have the original wide fan belt, fan and hub. All you have to do is raise the engine very slightly using thin shims between the engine fitting brackets and rubber engine mounts.(very easy) If memory serves, TR Bitz supplied the shims in the fitting kit. Cheers Bill.

• 2 years later...

Hi Alexander ~

I fitted the TR Bitz conversion which I modified before fitting. I also fitted my TR3A with a Mini Cooper Mk.2

four way indicator/horn/dip switch/flasher unit which I made self cancelling.

If you'd like photo's of all the above then please PM me your eMail address.

Cheers ~

Tom.

PS: You don't need the adjustable steering column but a two piece steering column.

hello Tom, I have always found that the tr3a steering box spoils my full enjoyment of the car - which I restored 25 years ago - and I have since replaced it completely once during my ownership without greatly improved results!

I have decided to do a few upgrades, being more interested in enjoyment than originality and so the R & P conversion is my next project, and I can do a few other maintenance jobs while the apron is off. I have the two piece column. I also want to fit a Moto-Lita steering wheel. if you could send me photos/details of your indicator/horn solution that would really be appreciated.

fox@resipsa.co.uk. Many thanks trevor.

Hi Trevor

Another vote for the Protek kit from me. I found Glenn the boss there is very knowledgeable and approachable.

Regarding horn/indicator I took the easy way out (I also have a Moto-Lita steering wheel) and have a button and switch on the dash for horn & indicator but here is a PDF that I think Marco (on the forum) sent to me showing how to have it on the column.

http://www.bastuck.d...leifkontakt.pdf

Cheers Archie

post-9996-0-02733600-1493720397_thumb.jpg

Hi Trevor, I have a rack fitted (from TR Bitz) and have kept the original fan. For the indicators and horn I fitted an indicator stalk from a Ford Transit (sorry) which also incorporates the horn. It works well but no self cancel which is no problem as it is easy to tap the switch off with your finger tips as you pass the steering wheel through your hands. Photo attached. hope this helps, Bill.

post-917-0-55479600-1493794623_thumb.jpg

Hi Trevor

Another vote for the Protek kit from me. I found Glenn the boss there is very knowledgeable and approachable.

Regarding horn/indicator I took the easy way out (I also have a Moto-Lita steering wheel) and have a button and switch on the dash for horn & indicator but here is a PDF that I think Marco (on the forum) sent to me showing how to have it on the column.

http://www.bastuck.d...leifkontakt.pdf

Cheers Archie

Did you consider the Revington revised steering levers to improve the bump steer characteristics of our cars?

http://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr3314k/name/steering-geometry-imp-kit-tr2-3b

The kit actually works.

Peter W