FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT PROBLEM

I've just replaced the fuel tank on my TR6 and I can't get the car to start. I have 20 litres of petrol in the new tank. It's definitely because the fuel isn't getting to the engine. The electric fuel pump in the boot gets very warm as I turn the engine over. I've attached an image. Its the lower component of the pump that gets hot. The red thing is a fancy filter.

Do you think there is an air lock in the system? If so how can I solve the problem. Or is there another likely cause?

Thanks Roy

post-12608-0-61543600-1410549877_thumb.jpg

I had that problem

take the "fancy" red filter off, undo the "blue" end and you will find a small replaceable paper filter inside, I found the 90 degree bend entering the "blue" end was clogged with rusty debris

I bet yours is the same

When you put it all back together just leave the ignition on the 20 seconds before cranking as it will allow the system to purge

I will post a link to spare filters in a few minutes

kc

Here is the link to replacement filters

http://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/sytec-bullet-fuel-filter-paper-element.html

I bought 5 and I am on my last one now, when the pump starts whining and the engine starts coughing under load it is time to replace, takes me 10 minutes now and always carry a spare in the car, I have a lot of **** swimming around in my tank due to lack of use by previous owner, just put myself on a 5 month waiting list for an Andy Wiltshire alloy tank!!

I also bought one of these, really useful when you have a full tank of fuel by the side of the road

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/laser-brake-clamp

No doubt you can get them cheaper from fleabay or somewhere but may be of a lesser quality, also really prompt service from Advantage Motorsport

kc