Battery Conditioner Cream Crackered or Not?

Good Morning Everyone,

For some years now I have been using a C TEK X5 800 battery conditioner to keep my TR4 battery in good condition during rest periods. The battery is a fairly new 12V / 58Ah unit fed by a dynamo using.

a positive earth system.

This battery conditioner has, I think, performed well over the years and may well still be doing so, however, when it indicates it is actually charging the amber light is now flashing and the unit clicking loudly. This has only just started to happen. Contact with the manufacturers hasn't been too successful, they say the unit is simply not big enough for the duty.

Does any one have any previous experience of the C TEK units, how can I tell it is still working and if not, what is the best one to buy for my TR4?

Thanks and regards

John

I've had a CTEK XS3600 attached almost permanently onto my TR250 with a 75Ah battery for about 5 years now with no problems. Looking at the specification it appears to be more heavy duty and possibly more suitable.

Hope the above info helps.

I find the smart chargers sometimes get it wrong.

Can you find someone with a non smart charger and put it on there for say 12 hours. In this case with the battery off the car.

Then try it on the smart charger.

The charger can keep up to 100 AH batteries up to spec but not recharged anything over 32 AH from discharged.

Your battery is over 32AH..

It could be the battery is on the way out or the charger is faulty.

So I would suggest a charge with a simple charger first.

eddie

Maybe I'm tempting providence here but how often do you folks who use these chargers use your cars? In all the years I've owned Triumphs I've never found the need to use one. There, now I've said that I'll probably get a flat battery.

• 2 weeks later...

The last one of these I bought from Lidl's had a digital readout of voltage. The current one seems to have gone back to the previous version which only has LED's to indicate charging, of full.

Having said that they are still very good value, & although I have one of each type at present, I may well get another (for stock!)

Bob.

The Lidl ones are the dogs dangly bits, after two very expensive Halfords "smart" chargers cooked batteries it is a welcome change to have something that does what it says on the tin, and just works.

Eddie,

The net is good to check both Aldi and Lidl and saves a lot of simply must have impulse buys!