I am restoring my TR250 and have installed all the electrics, today I fitted the battery to try things out. when I got to the indicators, strange things happening, the only thing that works is the hazards and then only when the indicator switch is on (right and/or left) but no dash warning light (hazard or indicator) and only with the ignition only, when I remove the hazard flasher from circuit, the indicators work right /left (and the warning light) but won't flash? The only thing that's not yet in circuit is the front indicator lights (as I haven't fitted the grill) but I can't see how this would make a difference or cause the issues I'm seeing. Its a new wiring loom (TR5 PI LHD) and every thing seems to be connected correctly and to the wiring diagrams, so Guys and Gals, any ideas please? :wacko:

Indicator flasher units based on a bi-metallic strip need the correct load to work. Without the front lamps there probably isn't enough current being drawn.

OK thanks, I'll try with the front lights tomorrow and see?

Also, carefully check the connections to the hazard flasher. My recently fitted new loom (early LHD TR6) was incorrectly wired.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks, how was it incorrectly wired, mine is on a plaastic 3 pin plug?

Thanks,

Phil

This probably won't help Phil, but the new loom that I fitted (TR5 Pi RHD) had a fault built into the wiring harness, (came from TR shop many years ago).

I cannot remember exactly what the fault was but I eventually had to cut a wire and run a seperate wire that actually corresponded to the wiring schematic, in other words, a wire entering the wiring harness was connected to another that it should not have been, 'somewhere' inside.

Hi Again,

Connected front lamps and it made it worst, flasher clicking erratically and still the same issue only doing this when right/left selected on indicator stalk, the flasher connected as follows: LG/B to 49 (C2 to L), LG/P to 49a (P to dash light) and P/R to 31 (Feed B to W1), I think this is wrong and it should be LG/B to 49a, LG/P to 31 and P/R to 49, so I'll try that, wait for the BANG in Thatcham :o I just noticed what I've been supplied is electronic, maybe this is the issue? Your comments welcomed B)

Yes an electronic flasher unit doesn't mind about the load so it must be wrong connection.

It should be connected:

31 - earth

49 - supply

49a - to indicator switch.

The dash tell-tale should go to 49a for a three-terminal unit.

I'm in Newbury Phil, so if a hear a bang I'll know what it is. Good luck.

Rob

Hi Everyone,

Right as Rob will confirm, no BANG and the hazards are now working :D, the plug in the loom from TRGB was wrongly connected so the L/G wires were transposed and and P/R the wrong side, managed to correct it but moving the spades around and hey presto it worked with Hazard relay and flasher clicking, HOWEVER, the indicators still aren't sort, with all bulbs in a fast fast and slight blink and a strange out of rhythm click, if I disconnect the from lamp, it click in rhythm but as hazards, doooh :wacko:, also getting intermittent voltage at the indicator switch feed??? Must be something else wrong in the loom, the only other thing is if I've got a dodgy voltage stabaliser, not sure if this would have an effect, I have a spare so I'll try it?? Again your ideas very welcome B)

Phil

Not sure I understand correctly from your description Phil, but you should have a fluctuating voltage at the indicator switch with the flashers working because it is fed from the flasher unit , so will be switching on and off. I doubt its anything to do with the voltage stabilizer as that is to feed the dash instruments, not the indicator lights.

If you have the rears flashing together when indicating, that has to be a wrong connection or a short - could the rear light feeds be connected together somewhere (perhaps at the hazard relay) ? If so that might explain the fast flash with all the lights connected, as the flasher would be trying to power three indicator lamps instead of two.

Rob

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Rob, you were on the right track, it was the Hazard relay supplied via Rimmer as a direct replacement part no. 148643 which is the wrong one, the relay is normally closed on terminals 87 & 87a which meant when you turn on the indicator all lights flashed erratically, it should be normal open on these terminals and when activated by the hazard switch then all four flash, so that was two issues, wrongly wired plug in the harness for the hazard 3 pin flasher and the wrong relay, luckily I had a spare starter relay for a TR7 which is the correct format so everything is OK.

Well I say everything, the hazard warning light for the dash still doesn't work LG/P wire, its coming off terminal 31 of the hazard flasher but I see you say it should be 49a Rob, so do I piggy back the wire of 49a and add an earth for 31? Anyhow that's tomorrow now but its taken 6 hours plus to sort all for supplying the right part, so now it'll be an email to Rimmer :angry: .

Look forward to your further comments :D

Phil

Glad you got the indicators bit fixed Phil. It difficult doing diagnostics at a distance without actually seeing the setup, plus I'm not familiar with TR250 wiring (3As don't have hazard flashers).

Conventionally the hazard light dashboard lamp should go from 49a of the hazard relay to earth. If the relay is working with the bulb on 31 its probably because the bulb resistance is low enough to operate the relay but the relay current isn't high enough to light the bulb. Try with an direct earth on 31 and the bulb piggy-backed on 49a.

Rob

OK, I'll try that tomorrow and get back to you B) , yes Alan M is a nightmare sometime :angry:

Hi Guys & Gals

OK I connected LG/B and LG/P together on 49a and earth to 31 as Rob suggested and eureka it all works, yet another error in the loom connection, luckily I have some electrical knowledge although support from the forum is always good :)

Now to sort the wiper motor repair.

Cheers

Phil