I have fitted a girling back axle to my TR2 and it was rebuilt by a well known supplier in Twickenham.

After 2500 miles it is making a whining noise that is getting louder. Any suggestions, is it bearings or does it need to be re-shimed?

Also remomendations for a good builder of diff's I have paid good money and do not want to pay again and still not get a good axle.

Not wishing to be accused of stating the bl--ding obvious, when the axle was returned after the rebuild, are you sure there was oil in it?

Cheers

Allan

Been there, done that, eh Bob?

Still a good idea to check.

Mine was full before the front seal decided to spit the dummy, the noise alerted me to check what was going on.

Shame it was halfway through my first long trip, after the restoration, that the noise started.

Had to wait till the end of the trip to check.

The teflon oil additive plus the hearing loss have settled the noise down.

Edited by littlejim

Is the whine load-dependent, ie constant regardless of throttle position, or only when accelerating, and does it get louder as the diff is warmed up after a few miles.

If the former, it suggests wear in the pinion bearings, possibly caused by too much initial preload ( had this with a rebuilt diff on a TVR, a guy over Blackpool way rebuilt it for me)

If the whine is load-dependent, the gear mesh is incorrect and needs re-shimming.

Mike

Thanks to all replies. Yes ther is oil but sometime the simple thing can be the problem.

Rogers answer is what I fear may be wrong so back to what does not grow on a rolling stone and hope they will put it right.

regards to all