Wheel Arch Clearance

Hi All,

I intend to fit 196/65 tyres on 15"x 6" wheels. My suspension is slightly lowered for fast road use and before I go buy the tyres can anyone with a similar set-up tell me if I'll have sufficient clearance between the tyre & wheel arch.

I don't wish to open up the great tyre debate again, I've searched the archive and can't seem to find anything conclusive.

Regards,

Richard.

I had that setup on my 6. IIRC I needed thin spacers at the rear so as to clear the tescopic conversion brackets. Otherwise no problem. That was with Revolution wheels. Yours might have a different offset.

Edited by peejay4A

Richard,

I had 195/65 x 15 Yokohama A539 tyres on 5.5" Minilites with no clearance issues, even with telescopic dampers on the rear. Personally I prefer the 185/65 x 15 that I have now fitted.

Cheers

Graeme

Richard,

Clearance is all about the backspace on your alloys. I have 195/65 on some ARE 6" wheels which have 4" backspace and need 6mm spacers on the front to stop fouling on the front top upper wishbones on full lock, rears no problem at all. Similar issues with some 185/70 that I have on Cosmic 6" wheels with the same backspace. Standard steel wheels with a 3.75" backspace have no requirement for spacers.

cheers

Derek

Richard,

I have exactly the setup you're proposing on my 6, with Revolutions. Also have telescopic rear shocks. All it needed was 6mm spacers on the front, to clear wishbones on full lock.

A note of caution... with the spacers I also needed to fit longer wheel studs at the front (available from Moss). This wheel and tyre combination has worked fine on my car for 10 years.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Triumph

I have Revos too, made in England version, believe they are now made in Spain and are different.

195 x 65 tyres. Revington set up front and back, no spacers were needed on mine.

So as Pete says many variables.

Cheers

Guy

You may find that they touch on the top wishbones, if so its likely to be the nut on the top , where they go through the ball joint, turn both around.

Edited by Jersey Royal

You get plenty of clearance with 165's, and my car has all the grip the chassis can handle!

You get plenty of clearance with 165's, and my car has all the grip the chassis can handle!

Thats Great Denis, Richard wants to fit 195s.

I have had 195 s for twenty plus years on my motor, love it.

All depends how you drive it I suppose.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I have also got the same tyres,

Now when i bought the car it had the standard tyres fitted, I had no problems with rubbing.

I do have spacers on the front but not on the back, but i think i need to fit them on the rear as i have found that the tyres have been rubbing on the inner wheel arch after the run to Le Mans, :unsure:

I have also got the same tyres,

Now when i bought the car it had the standard tyres fitted, I had no problems with rubbing.

I do have spacers on the front but not on the back, but i think i need to fit them on the rear as i have found that the tyres have been rubbing on the inner wheel arch after the run to Le Mans, :unsure:

What Wheels are you using Martin.
  • 10 months later...

Richard,

Clearance is all about the backspace on your alloys. I have 195/65 on some ARE 6" wheels which have 4" backspace and need 6mm spacers on the front to stop fouling on the front top upper wishbones on full lock, rears no problem at all. Similar issues with some 185/70 that I have on Cosmic 6" wheels with the same backspace. Standard steel wheels with a 3.75" backspace have no requirement for spacers.

cheers

Derek

Does anyone know the backspace on Rimmers' or Moss' bolt-on alloys? Are they 3.75" ??

The 6 has lowered 4 -1/2" ground clearance, very stiff springs, and 205s x65s on 5.5J original steel wheels with no clearance issues. If I can find 5.5J alloys with the same backspace as Derek quotes I am hoping that 195 x 65s will also fit without spacers.

Or am I wrong? - puzzling that suppliers dont quote back space.

Peter

Hi Peter

I have Rimmers bolt-on alloys (Minilite replicas 6Jx15). Backspace is 10 cm or about 3.94". Tyres are Michelin 205/65 x15. No problems front or back and no spacers needed.

Tage

Edited by 15eren

Hi Peter

All alloy wheels will have an ET rating, I think TR6 are either ET8 or ET15. ET translated into English means the distance in mm that the mounting face of the wheel is offset from centre line of the wheel

Example

If you have 6J wheels which are 6 inches wide the centre point is at 3 inches, therefore an ET15 wheel will have 3 inches + 15mm from the back of the wheel to the centre mounting plate. So 3 inches is about 76mm +15 = 91mm total offset

Hope that makes sense

KC

Many thanks Tage, KC and Graze.

Very helpful. I will now email Rimmers and ask for the ET spec on their current wheels, in the hope they are still the same as Tage's

Not sure why the spec is not on their website, maybe so as not to frighten off customers... :unsure:

Peter