Recommendation for a complete nut & bolt ground up restoration

I have realized that time is something I don't have enough of at the moment, and have concluded that in order to get my 5 back on the road within a reasonable time frame, I need to get someone to do the restoration for me.

It is literally a basket case, everything is in pieces. Absolutely everything must be done, but all parts are there and it in pretty good condition as well. Quite a bit of welding has to be done on the body tub, but the outer panels seem to be in pretty good shape.

Obviously I need to set up a budget, but I have no good indications how much this will set me back worst case scenario. Anyone have some figures, and/or experience who wants to share some information? The intention is to do it back to original condition, with some tech upgrades of course, but mostly reuse parts that are good, and buy new replacements where needed.

I have looked at a couple of "low cost" options both in Poland and Lithuania, anyone with experience or references?

I would much prefer to have it done in the UK, but in the end it will all come down to the budget and cost picture.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the car is in Oslo, so I need to have it transported as well, to either UK or Poland/Lithuania/Whereever, anyone with connection in that trade?

Any input highly appreciated.

post-12695-0-11764000-1408530422_thumb.gif

I'm sure there are none!

That said, I am quite confident there are good (and bad) restorers there as everywhere else. I have seen shops/sheds both here in Norway and in the UK, that I wouldn't have trusted either... It's all about what you get done for your cash, really.

Whoever you eventually decide to employ, this will be a long term relationship, a long distance exercise,and an expensive project.

May I suggest that first of all you make a comprehensive photographic record of what you have.

Secondly, consider very very carefully just what you envisage as the end result, and detail that in writing.

With the comprehensive photographic evidence and a detailed written account of your ambition, a potential restorer might be able to offer a more meaningful ballpark suggestion . . . .

Cheers

Alec

If I were in or around the vicinity of the UK, I wouldn't go to anyone except Stuart. I have never met the man but have conversed with him via email and read his post's here on the forum. He appears to have the integrity of a restorer that you would wish to see.

Cheers

Tony

" Number one priority ask for written responses from others that have had there car done by the restorer. "

Personally I'd prefer to talk to folks with first hand experience of a restorer.

In view of the libel laws that prevail in the UK, many people can be reluctant to commit pejorative observations to the written word, but may be a great deal more forthright in conversation.

Stuart is an excellent craftsman and dedicated TR enthusiast - a good man if you want the job doing to the highest standards.

Cheers

Alec

" Number one priority ask for written responses from others that have had there car done by the restorer. "

Personally I'd prefer to talk to folks with first hand experience of a restorer.

In view of the libel laws that prevail in the UK, many people can be reluctant to commit pejorative observations to the written word,

On this one I differ Alec word of mouth is one thing but the amount of money we are talking about is not insignificant.

Froma box of bits to a full car, by remote control across the North Sea or else the Kattegatt will be very expensive.

Sell the bits as parts, buy a complete car.

You will save money.

John

I have realized that time is something I don't have enough of at the moment, and have concluded that in order to get my 5 back on the road within a reasonable time frame, I need to get someone to do the restoration for me.

It is literally a basket case, everything is in pieces. Absolutely everything must be done, but all parts are there and it in pretty good condition as well. Quite a bit of welding has to be done on the body tub, but the outer panels seem to be in pretty good shape.

Obviously I need to set up a budget, but I have no good indications how much this will set me back worst case scenario. Anyone have some figures, and/or experience who wants to share some information? The intention is to do it back to original condition, with some tech upgrades of course, but mostly reuse parts that are good, and buy new replacements where needed.

I have looked at a couple of "low cost" options both in Poland and Lithuania, anyone with experience or references?

I would much prefer to have it done in the UK, but in the end it will all come down to the budget and cost picture.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the car is in Oslo, so I need to have it transported as well, to either UK or Poland/Lithuania/Whereever, anyone with connection in that trade?

Any input highly appreciated.

Hi SwallowDorretti,

Stuart is restoring my tr5 at the moment and is doing a fantastic job, I find him easy to get on with and nothing to much trouble,

He's very professonal and his work is to a very high standard,

I have no connection to the company just a very happy customer.

Cheers

Dave.