Temperature Gauge Reading on 2.5 PI Engine

My TR5 Engine runs at "normal" temperature (i.e. in centre of dial) in all regular conditions, but increases at the slightest sight of traffic jams, especially so in warm weather, and will eventually reach the stop at the far right hand end of the gauge which is, to say the least, slightly alarming. However, engine continues to run normally, and electric fan (Kenlowe) does not cut in. Cooling system condition is first class, new radiator, hoses and so on, no leaks or loss of coolant. I have had the temperature tested in situ when hot and been advised that there is no problem with cooling, so must be something to do with gauge or sender.

I first tried an alternate gauge which displayed exactly the same reading, and then a new sender - from Rimmers GTR108 - this resulted in an even higher reading even in "normal" conditions.

I have been advised that the senders currently supplied are made in the Far East and may be inaccurate, but that it might be possible to obtain an alternative original type (Smiths ?) which would be more accurate.

Can anybody shed any light on the problem, or advise me where I might be able to find a Smiths sender unit ?

Many thanks

Matthew

Hi Mathew, i have seen various posts on this subject,in all case quite frustrating for the owner.

I have an old one of these sensors,which may just work for you.

The 5 that i drive luckily goes to a quarter on the dial, and rarely goes over,only after long periods in standing traffic on a hot day.

Let me know,

Conrad.

Hi Matthew,

I have exactly the same symptoms with my TR and have checked just about everything too. Would the voltage regulator have an impact , although all seems well with the fuel gauge reading in my case?

I would be pleased to learn if / how you solve it !

Regards

Ian

I don't think it will be the voltage regulator as, like Ian, my fuel gauge operates correctly. The temp gauge is also behaving as expected in that it shows increased temperature when car is stationary, moving slowly in low gear and/or in hot weather, when coolant temperature will be rising. It is just the extent of the movement in the indicated temperature that is annoying. The thermostat which controls the electric fan does not cut in even when temp gauge in the red, so if we assume the kenlowe thermostat is correct (a big if I know) then the gauge reading must be wrong. The engine continues to run normally even after long periods of idling in traffic, but I don't find the gauge reading very reassuring..

Conrad - thanks for the offer of an alternative sender which I will happily accept - please let me know how I can make contact directly with you - I know there is something called a PM but don't know how that works !! - afraid I'm a bit new to this game (TR Forum, not TRs !)

thanks

Matthew