Rear lights, driving home sunday

Driving home Sunday morning in the bad weather,

I happened to pass several trs crawling home in the bad weather ,

The rear lights on all the vehicles were inadequate, esp the 3s

I could not see the tail lights until I was almost on top of the vehicles

A good upgrade is needed, any ideas,

Pink

Hi Pinky,

I missed you at Harrogate. I spotted you at one point but got carried away.

You could install a highpower bad weather rear red light to supplement the tail lights.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Foglights, or the third brakelight like Don (among others) attached to the rear deck. I think that Racetorations has a nice 'nacelle' for a spot on the boot lid.

Finally, LEDs. These things are getting better by the minute. I am sure that there's a nice replacement part for the original rear lights.

Menno

Menno is right. There are now quite a few suppliers offering LED lights of all flavours, including tail and stop light combinations. (I have them on my TR4A)

I also have a pair of LEDs that are H4 headlamp format, and they are bright! though these are not fitted to my TR (wrong physical dimensions)

TT

Hi Pinky,

I missed you at Harrogate. I spotted you at one point but got carried away.

You could install a highpower bad weather rear red light to supplement the tail lights.

Roger

Sorry I missed you Roger, would have been nice to say hi, and catch up,

The rear lights were an observation, if they could be made brighter, could save someone getting hurt,

Pink

The rear lights were an observation, if they could be made brighter, could save someone getting hurt,

Pink

They can Pink - see: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=23046 - not my cup of tea, but if it saves injury then it must be a useful mod - or as Alec says, maybe fit some period fog lights.

143-810_web_400_1.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

They have been fine for over fifty years :rolleyes:

My first reaction too, but I didn't write it down after having given it a second thought.

A few considerations: traffic has become more intense over the years. And drivers cocooned in their Euro/Jap boxes keep their foot on the pedal despite the fact that we, TR drivers (buffed by the elements...), are easing off.

Furthermore: most TRs don't get driven in the rain. So, most owners assess the quality of the rear ligths with nice weather on a sunny Sunday morning in mind... And yes, for a Sunday trip to the pub, the originals are fine - apart from the 3rd brake light.

In short, I think that Pinky made an correct observation and that it's very wise of him to share it with us; at least it makes me reconsider the rear lights of my 3a.

Menno

50 years ago the roads were emtpy, especially of bored drivers distracted by their mobile phones, texting, satnav screens, loud music, drugs....

The original lights on my car are probably the least of my worries where safety is concerned -- but then, it's not a daily driver and rarely shares the road with real traffic. If I want super-bright taillights and all the other mod cons, I drive one of my newer cars.

My TR is fun largely because of its antiquated technology. The only areas where I seek out modern are around tires and brakes and most lubricants (although the oil does have ZDDP).

Different strokes, I understand.

I saw a NOS set of blue and red Lucas SLR576 foglights a year or so ago -- leftover police gear, one assumes. The red lens woulda worked perfectly on the rear of a TR. Would it have been compliant? Dunno -- but it woulda been visible.

i-4BFfWz8-M.jpg

(PS: The car now owned by Pascal from a classified ad a few years ago)

Edited by Don H.

50 years ago the roads were emtpy, especially of bored drivers distracted by their mobile phones, texting, satnav screens, loud music, drugs....

C'mon over here. We still have a lot of space. I live in a metropolitan area of almost 1.5M people, and yet I can leave my house on a weekend morning for a drive on winding roads to a Starbucks seven or eight miles away and pass a half-dozen cars in both directions going there and back. There are crowded roads and busy times of day here as well, but it's not that hard to get open roads in middle America. Makes a TR a lot more fun when the road curves and you're all alone.

No drugs 50 years ago Peter ? Pull the other leg.

I had two uncles rallying TRs in the 50s, they ran on bennies, dexies, etc etc . . . . all legal then, and how the heck else could anyone cope with rally stages of that length ?

End of the 60s, the whole damn rock'n'roll industry ran on speed, only way you could make the gigs - I drove a Big Red (6 wheel Transit, tuned V6), and it was nothing unusual to play Hamburg Thursday, Naples Friday, London Saturday. The old BRs could maintain a steady ton down the autobahns fully laden, overdrive top and 30+ gallons of fuel at 10-12mpg.

Cheers

Alec

All I have tried to do is make an observation, people driving modern cars are looking for moden tail lights,

Not 50 year old lights,

It seems to me that some people argue for the sake of it,

When a f,,,,k. Ing great lorry takes you out, because he could not see your red candles, you might think to your self I wish I took notice of pinks observation.

Truth is I am getting pissed of with the negitivite I receive when I post, I wish I didn't bother,

I use to really enjoy the forum but lately it just winds me up,

Pink

Well, if my comments on this thread were taken as negativity, they weren't intended that way. Apologies if that's how they came across.

Your original post ended with an open question about upgrades. I didn't read it as a simple observation -- I read it as someone looking to start a discussion on the topic.

They'd definitely be missed by all the plonkers in the A1 driving on sidelights or no lights at all. Unbelievable.

I didn't like the brightness of my rear lights even though they're new so like TT I went for LEDs. Cree ones and they're very good.

Agree with you Pink..

Anything that assists in being seen, whether from front or rear, has to be at least considered. As has been noted already, there are too many numpties driving in poor conditions or half light with no lights or just side lights - and in a dark coloured car!

Cheers

Ian

All I have tried to do is make an observation, people driving modern cars are looking for moden tail lights,

Not 50 year old lights,

It seems to me that some people argue for the sake of it,

When a f,,,,k. Ing great lorry takes you out, because he could not see your red candles, you might think to your self I wish I took notice of pinks observation.

Truth is I am getting pissed of with the negitivite I receive when I post, I wish I didn't bother,

I use to really enjoy the forum but lately it just winds me up,

Pink[/

Don't get too upset Pink, I have taken your concerns positively & have just put in 2 LED tail/stop lights as advertised in the latest Traction. Keep posting, there are some good people here, just ignore the negative ones like I do!

Cheers,

Monty.

Thank you for the positive remarks, a lot of people have stopped posting because of the **** they have to put up with,

I have now almost come to the same conclusion,

I have tried to tolerate, ignore, negative remarks, but I am now coming close to the end of the road,

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people disagreeing with me, taking the piss out of me,

But some just go out of there way to wind me up and think it is funny.

Pink