Wiring Diagram for CR series UK PI cars

I've seen a few posts over the past year of folks, like myself, looking for a wiring diagram for CR cars.

Usually we get (well intentioned-ly) sent toward the advance autowire link that seems to have diagrams for every TR5/6...except ours.

I managed to get pdf of a pdf of a copy of a scan... that I've tidied up into a colour wire diagram to mimic these. I originally formatted at A3 on PPT and converted to pdf which seemed to magically transform it to A4, but it should blow up ok.

There are some bits for German market cars I've left out for simplicity (extra rear lights & hazard lights) but if anyone would like a copy of the original file, or the ppt I hacked together so they can use it as a base to document their own "enhancements" or "PO embellishments" please feel free to PM me with your email & I'll send them through.

Righto

MT

EDIT: now here:

CR Series wiring diagram

Edited by matttnz

It does answer some of those fun questions, such as: "whats the white/pink, pink/white wire"... "why does it end up by the heater...". Etc etc.

BTW-please let me know about typos/innacuacies/c0ck ups & I'll fix & reissue on this thread.

Hi Matt,

An excellent diagram. My only comment is that usually a coil used with a ballast resistor is 9v. Can you confirm that the CR series had a 6v coil?

Thanks

Graeme

Yeah, I'd read that too somewhere. Haven't paid it much mind b/c mine looks like the resistance wire has been bypassed and a ballast resistor bolted onto the block. IIRC, that has 9V.

The file I got sent has it very clearly as a "6 volt coil" typed up on the legend that looks like it's scanned out of a workshop book (happy to email). Having said that it loos remarkably like it's been cut out of something & then stuck into it, so that might not be a factory key...

There's also some starter solenoid shenanigans with the 6V resistance wire circuit (a white/yellow) lead runs from that circuit. Don't think that's historical on mine though.

Hello Matt,

I have been working on my CR electrics recently, your diagram looks very good and comprehensive. I worked with the Autowire diagram and changed it for the PI. What puzzles me are your taillight resistors, what are they and where are they located?

Greetings from Germany,

Peter.

Hello Matt,

I have been working on my CR electrics recently, your diagram looks very good and comprehensive. I worked with the Autowire diagram and changed it for the PI. What puzzles me are your taillight resistors, what are they and where are they located?

Greetings from Germany,

Peter.

Hi Peter, gidday from the opposite time zone! Did you want the additional German spec wiring or do you have a different market car?

I haven't found my tail-light resistors yet either but they're there on this file so presumably they were put in during the 70s. Perhaps they were there for a stock wattage bulb to dim them? If so I expect most have been removed/bypassed.

Kevo, judging by the original, I suspect LEDs weren't even a twinkle in an automotive engineer's eye when it was made...

Edited by matttnz

Kevo, judging by the original, I suspect LEDs weren't even a twinkle in an automotive engineer's eye when it was made...

Hi Matt, I realize that but thought it was something that you had added in as Peterq was puzzled with their use, as am I.

Resistors for LEDs are fitted in parallel so as to fool bulb failure devices, not in series as shown in the diagram so their existence is mysterious and it looks like they only serve to make the lamps dim. Why?

GOK. I can only assume it is to dim a standardised wattage bulb.

I intentionally haven't put any of my car's peculiarities or "improvements" so as to give everyone an original base to work from.

Here's the original:

EDIT: now here: Original file

Edited by matttnz
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your efforts - 'might' help me work out why on the day of my MOT my rear running lights flash instead of the indicators if the headlights are on! Or why one of my headlights has decided to do an impression of a glow worm - apart from on full beam - when it now just goes off! It must be a bad earth somewhere - I have 10 days to find out!

Thanks for the diagram it might be my only hope!

Michael

No worries-that's my hope (though I suspect the "bad earth" default response probably does apply for your lighting gremlins).

As said before, more than happy to send a copy of the original for people to track their own embellishments.

7 of the 8 'fails' were bad earth issues. The main headlight not working was a broken wire shorting...maybe because that whole part of the loom appears to have been appropriated from an old kettle....(gulp)!

Just the steering rack to sort before the retest now anyway!

Cheers,

Michael

I think the rest of the kettle must be in my cooling system overheating...

• 1 month later...

Apologies all: n00b mistake & uploading the files above has killed my forum limits so I've copied them to my flickr account. Feel free -if interested/relevant- to grab them from here (& hopefully this works....)

MT

Original file

CR Series wiring diagram

Edited by matttnz

Hi All,

Seeing this thread again reminded me - I should comment that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wiring supplied to me by this ebay seller automobileelectrics

I know I could have made up that part of the loom myself - but for a pair of made up headlight looms at under £15 inc. P&P I figured I would save myself the hassle. They came with the correct colours, sheathing and grommet for the headlamp bowl. No issues fitting.

No other association - just a satisfied customer.

Now if the kettle breaks - I always have the kettle flex to fall back on!

Regards,

Michael.

Edited by CONCRETE24
  • 5 years later...

Welcome to the forum 'franglais' - do you have a name we could use?

CR is the prefix to the commission numbers for TR6Pi cars produced for the 1973 model year onwards.  Previous to that the prefix was CP.  The carburettor cars for the US market were CC and CF.  Details here:

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Commission-Numbers.htm

Rob

Hi Matt,

Very nice. If you want a carefully-taken photo from the original Leyland manual, for checking purposes, I'm happy to oblige. The quality if the original isn't great BTW - it's a small diagram with a big legend!

Looking through the manual for this specific diagram I was intrigued to see that the German-specific items were for an even smaller market - they are labeled B.A.O.R., and are available on both LH and RH steer versions. I wonder if a different version was sold to servicemen in Germany than was sold to the public? TRivia :)

John

On 8/12/2014 at 10:52 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Many thanks Matt.

- been waiting 36 years for that.

Peter

It is in Triumph service manual TR4-6. Part no of publication is AKM3646.  It is not a comprehensive service manual but it does have later wiring diagrams   
Book is out of print but they pop up at autojumbles. White soft covers 

Peter W

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Very nice. If you want a carefully-taken photo from the original Leyland manual, for checking purposes, I'm happy to oblige. The quality if the original isn't great BTW - it's a small diagram with a big legend!

Yes please!!!! PM me and I'll flick you my email 

11 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It is in Triumph service manual TR4-6. Part no of publication is AKM3646.  It is not a comprehensive service manual but it does have later wiring diagrams   

Thanks v much Peter, I've never come across that but then again; John & I don't have many Triumph autojumbles downunder (or even autojumbles full stop in NZ...).  It's all full of Ford and Holden!  It took me aaaages to find a CR wiring diagram and it was such a mess I made up the ppt version to clean it up.  That was back in 2014, I still haven't seen an easy to locate version online yet.

19 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter W

Thanks Peter, have just found one on ebay. Peter

20 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

It is not a comprehensive service manual

Really? Mine is 30mm thick, double-sided, and includes operations for everything I can conceive of doing (apart from body restoration, and my wife assures me that's not possible). Also includes a complete service schedule and all data from torque settings to the spring specs for the oil pressure relief valve. And it's oil-impregnated :p

John