Auction TR6 - apparent low miles/condition - comments?

Afternoon all,

Just seen this 1971 TR6 advertised for Auction on 30th Aug at Brooklands. please see link for details.

http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2014-08-30/cars/triumph-tr6-(red).aspx

On the face of it seems like a very low mileage TR6 UK PI car, at 5000miles yet apparently its been restored :blink: ?

The photos seem to show a pretty straight car (that's had a good spit & polish!), but I'm also surprised as the estimated value. £7k - £9k. If it really is the car they are describing I would have thought it would be stronger money than that...

Interested to know peoples thoughts....

Cheers,

J.

The low estimate means little, it may be to attract more interest. Photo's can be very deceptive, if the car is good it will fetch a few thousand more than that estimate plus buyers premium, but you really need to see it and check the paperwork backs up the claims.

Rob

The speedo may be 5,000 miles, but the first 8 years history is unknown, when the most mileage would be put on. The first bit of history is an invoice from 1979 for a new gearbox, now the alarm bells are ringing.

Mind you the estimate is fine for a car with much more mileage in that condition.

Edited by Dave Smith

Rob & Dave - fair points

I should mention - I'm not interested in the car as such.

(I bought my own TR6 2 years ago. this was body off restored in 2008 at 75k miles. that was £9k at the time, and I thought I'd generally bought fairly well until I saw this auction car... hopefully I still have! ;) )

cheers,

J.

As Tony says..."for this money a real bargain" and as pointed out history irrelevant.

I'd think there's a case to frown at the auctioneers here, their "estimate" is extraordinarily pessimistic and although it may look different in the flesh I'd be very surprised if it didn't sell for a good bit over their top figure.

All very well trying to encourage people to come in or bid on it but realism has to work both ways, estimating well under the selling price is as bad as "flying a kite" the other way, I'll watch with interest and see what it fetches.

Mick Richards

Any auctioneer's description isn't worth the paper it's written on, auctioneers' photos are notoriously lacking in relevant detail, and an auctioneer's estimates are possibly as reliable as a business offer from an anonymous West African email . . . .

Caveat emptor rules OK, and it's always worth while either as a buyer or seller preparing yourself to be well and truly stiffed, stuffed and rogered. And of course you won't be attaching any credence to anything suggestive of a warranty. That way you're unlikely be be disappointed.

Not worth wasting brain cells on, James.

Cheers

Alec

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments - all interesting.

Yes I agree - why on earth would it need a new gearbox at 5000 miles, and even a restoration at that mileage. something smells fishy...!

like Mick, I will aim to find out what money it does actually make....

Cheers,.

J.

Another 2000 miles from new tr6 for auction this month in Kings Lynn

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/classic-auctions/latest-classic-car-catalogue/saturday-23rd-august-2014/2000-miles-from-new-tr6/

Will this make the hoped for £25 k. ?????????

7-9K pounds sterling = $11,767-$15,130 dollars. Sure looks like a good one if the price stays within that range no question. Of course us Americans would have a hard time with that right-hand drive setup. ;)

That white car looks nice and tidy...but 4 owners only put 2,000 miles on it between all 4 of em ! Hmmmmm!

Unless any claimed genuine low mileage can be 100% backed up with a paper trail history from new,

it should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Any seller should not be able to state "Genuine low mileage",in an advert unless they can back it up 100%!

Luckily the one i have up for sale can be fully backed up with the history file :)

But yes i agree

Tom

When I bought my 6 in 1973 it was said that the gearbox and the halfshafts were a week point on these cars. I do not know if this was only valid for the PI cars or all TR6's. At the time I did not know that carb. cars were made. Myself I never had any problem with the gearbox as I was used to double clutch from earlier non synchro. cars in the family.

Anyhow, even with a sober driving style the halfshafts on the 6 were shot with 50k kms on the clock.

Whatever is said TRs were not the most lasting/reliable cars, not in the 50th 60th or 70th. On these cars quite an amount of parts had to be replaced at low milage. To mention, In the early 60th the crankshaft bearings on my 3A were gone at around 45000 kms.

So I'm not surprised to read a gearbox change at 5000 miles.

Anyhow it's a nice car at this price even if you have to invest some money later on.

I am at a loss here, who buys a classic car because of the mileage?

If "one" were selling a TR6 (for instance) which happened to have a very low mileage and a "punter" turned up, completely ignoring the car but only wanting to discuss the mileage how would you react?

Is mileage in the same category as selling a car previously owned by Beckham, Clarkson, Cameron etc where the value is only in the name (or skin particles left in the car by the celebrity owner).

Surely the "discerning buyer" who would be interested in one of the 2 cars mentioned would actually just be after a nice car to drive. Lets face it TR6's are not collectors items they are just nice cars which have all the bits available should something break.

My own limited experience was selling a 1969 lotus elan s4 (I think) which had a ludicrously low mileage due to being in storage in crates from 6 months old for over 35 fully documented by club lotus years. The car was not in showroom condition by any means but the mileage was genuine. I had a visit from an enthusiast who clearly only wanted to debate the mileage claim in person. To my shame I did not handle the meeting well. I did however sell it to the next person to arrive, he liked the car and he said it was a nice colour.

Sorry lot's of people buy a classic car due to the mileage - after condition and history, mileage is the most important thing :huh:

I totally agree it may not float all our boats however a genuine low mileage car (that can be proven it is what it says it is) is worth more in the classic car world?

Just look how hard "traders" sell cars if the mileage is known: old saying "as the mileage comes down - price goes up!" <_<

I disagree. We are talking about a TR6 here, a car that is in the region of 44 years old, low mileage is not relevant unless, that is, mileage is the only factor and condition is not.

What about a fully restored car that had done say over 100k miles but is now nice and new and shiny, maybe even with the clock returned to zero. I think it would be an odd buyer who based their decision on mileage.

But that is just my 2p and no offence meant.

Back to the original point, I am in agreement with Alec on the price, It sounds like a come on to me, if it is a nice as the pictures portray them someone who wants a 6 wont get it for that.

Sounds to me like both cars have had the clock wound back at the point of restoration - economical with the truth, or fact if it's been a ground-up chassis off restoration which essentially means they are handbuilt cars.

If the latter, they won't go for that, but think the former is more likely to be the case.

'Caveat emptied my wallet' and all that...................

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Just my threepence worth here but the 2200 mile TR6 has a well documented mileage. TR Bitz owned it for many years having bought it from the original owner who put a couple of hundred miles on it, hadn't like the colour, had it sprayed in Pimento on the outside by the Dealer, leaving the original white in the engine bay, visible faces of the doors etc, still didn't like it and stuck it away after a few months in his garage never to drive it again. TR Bitz intended to keep it for their own collection at one time however had a change of mind, had it painted back into white, had it up for sale for a year or so and then sold it at H & H Auction in Buxton with 766 miles on the clock in April 2000 for £16750. Since then its had a couple of owners who have been in the Register neither of whom have driven it for fear I guess of putting miles on it, it has also passed around a couple of Dealers who have tried to sell on commission and here it pops up again for £25k.

cheers

Derek

Edited by saffrontr

I have just been looking at this. First MOT available is 1981 at 2000 odd miles, and a very expensive restoration was carried out about this time. Wouldn't have thought a 2000 mile from new car would have needed much work.

However a 102,000 mile car probably would, and in my experience the original gearboxes were generally good for about 100k unless the layshaft bearings went.

My TR250 has about 35,000 on the clock, but it definitely ain't low mileage as it only had about 60k when I bought it, the extra 70 odd thousand comes from 22 years of use!

Neil