Accelerator cable....

Well I fix one fault and another one comes along....

Driving home the car lost power. She went slower and slower, the revs dropped and I when I got to a hill, she conked out.

Tried to restart the car, she fired but on stayed on tick over. Foot on accelerator , no increase in revs.

I Thought the accelerator cable broke. Not the case.

Bonnet up, 2 stags ,aTR4 and aTR6 drove past and waved.....didn't stop to help though !!!!

Accelerator pedal very sloppy. Does not feel right at all. No resistance. Spring in place though.

Managed to get the car home, basically on tick over speed.

Overtaken by cyclists !!

Today, adjusted cable, but nothing seems amiss.

Car started, foot on pedal, she will not go above 2000rpm.

She ran perfectly yesterday until I hit the big hills.

Loss of power and revs was quite sudden.

To the knowledgeable sages of this forum, what's gone wrong and if I need new bits ie a cable, which one do I get ??

Credit card at the ready and Conrad on standby !!!!

Steve

the outer cable is held in the bulkhead by a washer affair, ensure it hasn't slipped..

Steve,

Call TD Fitchett and ask for a NOS (still on a shrink wrap board) TR5/6 one (aftermarke) with yellow outer sleeve and brass ferrules - http://www.tdfitchett.co.uk/

Cheers

Andrew

+1 for me. I had three failures of accelerator cables from a well known supplier. The outer cable was not secured to the bush on the bulkhead and this means the inner cable has nothing to pull against and does not open the butterflys. I suppose this is another one for the duff spaers alert.

P

I modified my throttle cable using a bicycle brake adjuster. You need to to remove the pedal end of the cable and cut back the sleeve, remove the clamp from the bulkhead and replace with the cycle brake adjuster (obtainable from Halfords or any good cycle shop) I did this 5 or 6 years ago and no problems since.

Cheers

Bill

TR6ThrottleCableMod006.jpg

I modified my throttle cable using a bicycle brake adjuster. You need to to remove the pedal end of the cable and cut back the sleeve, remove the clamp from the bulkhead and replace with the cycle brake adjuster (obtainable from Halfords or any good cycle shop) I did this 5 or 6 years ago and no problems since.

Cheers

Bill

TR6ThrottleCableMod006.jpg

I have done the same Bill, great minds think alike. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Mike B)

Well , I replaced the old cable with the NOS from TD Fitchett.

What a bloody difference !

Looks like the cable was dodgy from the day I got the car.

Today I realised what a TR 6 really goes like.

Smiling from ear to ear !

Steve

Ps

The temp gauge stayed in the middle !

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same problem and fixed it for the time being with a home grown remedy involving a cable tie and garden wire......don't ask!! though it does work. I like the idea of your fix Bill but was wondering how you secured the pedal end of the cable? I've asked a few local bicycle shops and they tell me all the cables they have come pre-terminated.

Steve

• 6 months later...

The clip fits on the flat side, opposite to the claw where the cable end sits.

The clip is just there to stop the ni***le on the cable from coming out of the pedal bracket.

Hope that helps

John

I've had the same problem and fixed it for the time being with a home grown remedy involving a cable tie and garden wire......don't ask!! though it does work. I like the idea of your fix Bill but was wondering how you secured the pedal end of the cable? I've asked a few local bicycle shops and they tell me all the cables they have come pre-terminated.

Steve

I have found that the metal innards of an electrical "chocolate piece" connection block will suffice as a temporary (it's been on the car for 3 years now!)end on a bowden cable,simply screwed on.

This old chestnut again.......I found some time for the garage this afternoon and first thing I got to was trying as John L suggested.

I simply cannot get this clip to function as it should no matter which way I fit it....please see attached pic taken on the cover of the Brown Bible for size comparison, roughly measured its 10x6mm, can anyone confirm this is indeed the correct part?

post-6267-0-54734700-1428774555_thumb.jpg

It is the right`ish one, I have found if you fit two one on either side of the bottom of the "U" that holds the cable much better.

Stuart.

Essentially they need to grip the "U" bracket and stick out far enough to stop the cable coming out of the slot.

Stuart.