Sleuths Ahoy Whats wrong with this

Well finally I have sold Elsie my long held TR5 and am looking now for a TR6. (that is another TR6)

Have a look at this site folks and tell me what you can see whats wrong or at least suspect that this is not a 1969 TR6, or maybe you think it is. At the minute I see 6 things that dont stack up but could of of course be completely innocent replacements!!!!

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/kgfclassiccars/sets/72157645269984056

for piccys

Cheers

Do you want a 'What's nice' or 'What's horrid' view?

Maybe....

1. Door pulls are the door pockets - add the chrome door knockers from a TR4 or black plastic from a MG, the door is pierced to accept them.

2. Air duct to Radiator missing. - Fit and get full cooling.

3. CP intimates PI - It's all in the ad.

4. Wheel barrow style exhaust system - personal choice.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Ian,

Surprised you sold Elsie!!

I am just finishing the rebuild of a '69 TR6. My observations below, but all things easily changed by the owner over 45 years.

1. Wrong alternator.

2. Black screen frame.

3. Wrong seats

4. Wrong dashboard

5. SUs on a PI!

6. No black panel at the rear

7. Can't see SS strip on the cills

8. Looks like it might be wrong H frame.

9. Door pulls missing.

10. Wrong knobs on the dash, no ign key.

11. Wrong steering wheel

12. Wrong wheels and trims.

Apart from that looks OK.

Cheers

Graeme

It looks tidy, and at £11K asking hardly expensive. Especially as the original seats and PI system are thrown in . . . . .

As for any pretensions towards originality, remarks about kosher, barmitzvah and pork chop spring to mind . . . . . it looks like a rebuilt bitsa from where I'm sitting, but it might have the potential to be worked up into something more pukka. Just my opinion.

More to the point, what does it drive like ?

Cheers

Alec

Hi Graeme,

I think the 'H' support is correct. The 4A version has a raised lip around the gear stick hole. However I don't like the way it is covered.

I've just noticed the small control console above the 'H' compared to the 4A it is upside down. Did TRiumph do this?

Roger

Well I think it was time that I parted with Elsie though I confess it is a wrench but there is a limit to how many times you can adjust the tappets or check the oil level. Yes there are jobs to do, never did fix the timing chain cover oil leak but I want a new project that is not a full scale rebuild ( no room for that in our new bijou downsized House) but something to tinker with so I saw this car and became a bit suspicious.

Thanks for your observations, mine were...

Ignition key on steering column. This not present on UK cars till 70/71

Spare wheel has 12 holes and space for the studs to hold the rostyle wheel trims, however all other wheels have later 15 hole wheels

All switch gear has US markings

Dash has warning light between main dials but could be a European or just an owner mod.

Door cards are tr5 pattern

Door capping missing

I have seen cars in the past that have a log book from an early car but are clearly a later car but this one is not priced too high either even though it has 80 k on the clock (180?)

So overall am a bit puzzled

Door cards are correct for a 1969 car Ian. However whoever put this car together just appears to have used something and everything that was available at hand! I would have to be seriously convinced that this was indeed a 1969 CP car. The area behind the grille should also have been painted black too, not left white. Not much originality left for a 1969 car I'm afraid.

Alan

Have a look at this site folks and tell me what you can see whats wrong or at least suspect that this is not a 1969 TR6, or maybe you think it is.

Really, Ian... you are evidently trying to foment public disorder amongst respectable people. This must be the automotive equivalent of pulling the legs off a spider and some of the replies are correspondingly tormented...

It reminds me so much of the Austrian wine trick that I suspect you are waiting until the forum illumini have committed themselves, only to reveal that their deductions are... wrong!

Cheers

It reminds me so much of the Austrian wine trick that I suspect you are waiting until the forum illumini have committed themselves, only to reveal that their deductions are... wrong!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? I think I know a fair bit about early TR6's and most of the observations listed above are correct to me anyway? Ian asked, we supplied sensible and mainly correct observations now just where does that make us tormented, demented, fermented exactly? Contented, yes but surely not tormented.........LOL

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? I think I know a fair bit about early TR6's and most of the observations listed above are correct to me anyway? Ian asked, we supplied sensible and mainly correct observations now just where does that make us tormented, demented, fermented exactly? Contented, yes but surely not tormented.........LOL

Alan

It was meant to be light-hearted. Sorry for my poor judgement...

Edited by PaulAA

Sorry from me too Paul, time I came off my high horse. Trouble is its a long way down........... LOL.

No offence taken and hopefully no offence given.

Cheers

Alan

Many thanks for your replies chaps. I thought I'd troll down to see it only to be told they had not updated their website and it was sold last week, so it was all a bit pointless but its interesting what you can spy just from the photos. I will have to wait till something else comes along, an almost completed project would be favourite, all body and paint done just needs reassembling, wiring etc, thats about all I can do in my narrow garage. There are 2 on ebay at the moment but only one looks promising, Anyone live near Hazelmere to go have a quick look petrol paid for of course.

See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR6-2-5-FUEL-INJECTION-1973-RHD-TAX-EXEMPT-SAPPHIRE-BLUE-/141363583516?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20e9ed1a1c

Cheers

Sorry that should be HASLEMERE not Hazelmere

Two Fans! Later type USA from Bumper, later Jack, spare wrong way up, no location. Decals in incorrect position with TR5 lights below them? Door Cards are correct though, the pockets were the door pulls!