overdrive stopped working

Hi,

2 weeks ago a friend of mine bought a tr5 from tr trader in Manchester,drove back to Oxford faultless, everything working.Took it out today for the 1st time since bringing it back and overdrive is now not working,is there any simple checks we can do before getting hold of the place he bought it from?.

Cheers

Nigel

When i first got my TR6 the same thing happened to me, I found that I had kicked the wire to the column switch and it had disconnected itself from a "joint" above the centre console. pushed the wire back in and hey presto everything back working OK

KC

There are some wires which go from column switch to gearbox overdrive, they enter the gearbox tunnel right next to floor dip switch, they are connected just before entering gearbox tunnel cover, make sure they haven't been kick ed apart...easily done. Its an A type overdrive so has a connection to a relay in the bulkhead near fusebox. If they have come undone note wire colours and report back. If not let us know and we can try some other diagnostics.

Switch the O/D on and off and listen for the solenoid 'Click' from the gearbox,

it's quite audable with the engine off, (Ignition on) Make sure you are in an overdrive gear, if it clicks there is nothing wrong with the wiring.

John.

Edited by john

A mystery unfolds the relay next to the fuse box I thought was the overdrive relay operates the horn,

only one relay , So I phoned a friend and he conferred that there should be two, but it has worked for the last 9 years, cannot investigate till Thursday

will have to chase the wiring out through to see if the relay is somewhere else

Are there any auto electricians going to Harrogate,

Cheers Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I may be wrong (as usual) but I thought the 'J' type OD on the TR6 did not have a relay.

If it does have a relay then you should be able to hear it click in.

If the wiring is OK then suspect internal problems. Mine had an internal circlip fail a couple of weeks ago - that was expensive.

Roger

Gordon,

If yours is an A type overdrive and there is no relay there's a good chance that the column switch has died and you'll need to install a relay. If it's a J type then as Roger says, it doesn't require a relay as the solenoid works differently to the A type and draws less current.

Edited by peejay4A