Who turned out the lights?

So I'm driving home from the pub on Thursday, country lanes so I put the main beams on (floor-mounted dip switch, fitted 2006 and not used that much). Car coming the other way so I dip the lights...except they go off. Instrument lights are still at full 1-candlepower.Hit the dip switch again and main beams come back on, cycle the lights lever on the column and hit dip switch and dipped lights back. Sigh of relief breathed.

Get home safely (touching nothing!) and have play around whilst putting the car in the garage - no mains/dips.

On further investigation I've found that all other lights are working, but the sidelights and tail lights only work in the dipped beam position, and then only after waggling the switch a little.

So, I guess the question is where do I start finding the the fault? Foot switch (on which I've checked the connections in case I'd dislodged something or column switch (my thought is the latter) - anyone experienced these symptoms before?

Cheers,

Graeme

Hi Greame,

The Dimmer switch (Floor mounted for you) must be wired between the main Lightning switch and the Low Beams & High Beams, his way to work is just to switch from Low to High beams and reverse.

One hypothesis is that the wiring and/or connection from the dimmer switch to the Low beams is/are not correct and/or disconnected. Start at the Dimmer switch side to check if you have wires on the 3 connections. Colors U (Blue) to the Lighting switch , U/W (Blue/tracer White) the High beams and U/R (Blue/Tracer Red) to the Low Beams (At least it should be this colors arrangement for the TR- '72), but to be confirmed. You shall check the way the Dimmer swith is connected! Did you have the wiring diagram?

Kind regards

Edited by Marc R

@ Alpha206, Correct suspicion on connections/connectors side, have a look at 1st on the connection to the Low Beams side. As the issue is on the both 2 Low Beams, check on the dimmer switch side but do not forget the connector Female Double line 4 ways, common contact on the low beam side . I just worked on this area this afternoon.

Kind regards