backlight frame Surrey top

Can anyone please let me know if the Revington fibreglass backlight frame is better or no different to the one offered by Honeybourne mouldings.

Revington offer a surrey top that utilises a TR6 header rail and I am wondering if it is better to use their backlight ( RTR7153 ) as I will be buying the surrey top from them as this seems the best way to go to have a surrey that is the most user friendly!

Thanks if anyone has any knowlege of this modification.

The Surrey soft section that Revingtons supply is V expensive for what it consists of, their rear section is mostly designed to go with a roll bar fitting. The Honeybourne one is perfectly good enough and is considerably cheaper to achieve basically the same end.

Stuart.

Thanks for your replies Revington web lists RTR7153 at £371 Backlight without roll over bar.

Honeybounes backlight at £285, so not a huge difference if it is better as I plan to use the Revington Surrey top RTR6139BK, (TR4, 4A, 250, 5 and TR6. New arrangement Surrey top kit with TR250, 5 and TR6 soft-top style header rail. This kit does away with the archaic idea of tucking the Surrey canopy under the front windscreen capping) their words! But does cost £762! :(

Edited by Damson6

Thanks for your replies Revington web lists RTR7153 at £371 Backlight without roll over bar.

Honeybounes backlight at £285, so not a huge difference if it is better as I plan to use the Revington Surrey top RTR6139BK, (TR4, 4A, 250, 5 and TR6. New arrangement Surrey top kit with TR250, 5 and TR6 soft-top style header rail. This kit does away with the archaic idea of tucking the Surrey canopy under the front windscreen capping) their words! But does cost £762! :(

Silly me

I thought that was very competitive from Revingtons I will also need the screen and fittings which will add £513.23! Plus Including Flexiglass, seals and fixings etc. Headlining and back light frame trimming material are not included. Please order RTR6135 if required which is another £135.82.

Honeybournes it is then.

Edited by Damson6

So thats around £1K just for the backlight fully trimmed with a perspex window then. :wacko:

Stuart.

And if you wish to use the TR6 header rail, then then front hood frame from a Spitfire will happily glue to your soft Surrey top and clamp down like a TR6 hood. Check out ebay, that's where I got mine.

If anyone's interested on this subject there is a complete Surrey Top with aluminium roof for sale on Ebay. Is 2.3 Grand with best offer but to be honest this kind of kit is never going to depreciate so Damson this may be worth a look..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR-4-TR-4a-TR-5-will-fit-TR6-Surrey-top-rare-alluminium-hard-top-/331256155488?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d2067cd60

Edited by boxofbits

And if you wish to use the TR6 header rail, then then front hood frame from a Spitfire will happily glue to your soft Surrey top and clamp down like a TR6 hood. Check out ebay, that's where I got mine.

Don't forget there are 2 types of Spitfire Hoods and Frames.

If anyone's interested on this subject there is a complete Surrey Top with aluminium roof for sale on Ebay. Is 2.3 Grand with best offer but to be honest this kind of kit is never going to depreciate so Damson this may be worth a look..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR-4-TR-4a-TR-5-will-fit-TR6-Surrey-top-rare-alluminium-hard-top-/331256155488?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d2067cd60

Too much work for the money I think?

I assume its a late Spitfire hood frame?

Genuine question.

Can someone explain to me why there is VAT to be added if you buy it from the trader, but not if you buy it from the private seller?

Surely the VAT was paid by the first owner therefore HM Customs & Excise have no claim on secondhand goods?

Nick

Cos it's purchase tax by another name. If it's a trader or company they obviously charge it out on new goods and claim it back when charged it themselves, balance then goes to the HMRC, just another tax but with this one HMRC has a second bite and apply it to used parts as well.

Mick Richards

The underlying principle of the VAT is taxing the profit made by people doing business as professional activity regardless whether the good/service sold is new or used. The VAT strikes any traded good/service entering the market for public use/consumption.

Vat doesn't tax profit. Its simply a tax levied by the govt on the consumer based on the price of the goods. Traders who are registered for vat simply collect it on behalf of the government. Traders don't suffer vat at all. The vat return allows traders to claim back any vat paid by knocking it off the vat they have collected from consumers that they have to pay over. Its a bit more complicated than that but thats the basic idea. Finally, if a trader has bought second hand goods and not been charged vat on them (eg from a private seller) the trader only has to charge Vat on the profit not the whole price. This is common with second hand cars.

Regards

Bob

• 4 years later...
Just now, Ken lumsden said:

Hi folks, new to the world of TR4 and i have an aluminium backlight that i may need to sell but have no idea if its of value as i cant seem to find any old ones on the web. Would anyone have any ideas of value please

A lot! Depending on if it has a glass as well maybe more. Ebay will find your best price if you look up "completed listings".

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Ken lumsden said:

Hi folks, new to the world of TR4 and i have an aluminium backlight that i may need to sell but have no idea if its of value as i cant seem to find any old ones on the web. Would anyone have any ideas of value please

Hi Ken once you have decided on what you will be asking for your backlight drop me a PM as I'm looking to purchase one.