Outdoor car cover : Moltex or something else?

Hi guys.

After 18 months my outdoor car cover has perished in the tropical sunshine.

It's from the TR shop and stood up to two winters but this hot weather has done for it, the fabric has gone all brittle and the torrential rain on Friday made holes in it !!

So I've had a bit of a research and concluded that the Moltex is popular, as is the Stormforce, I also like the look of the classic additions Ultimate cover.

Does anyone have experience of long term use of these covers, ie can I expect more than 18 months out of them or should I just buy again from the tr shop?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Hi.

I have a moltex, first one lasted about 18 months- 2 years before it seemed to let a fair bit of water through.

It's a good weight so doesn't flap around too much, cost is around 150 if you shop around. Breathes fairly well but I have no experience of the classic additions one to compare?

Cheers

I'm using an Auto Storm Aqua which is a double cover & keeps the car pretty dry. Also breathable so apparently the TR will dry out even when wet without turning into a complete rust bucket...

Catches a bit of water in the hems & unfortunately the neighbourhood cats' have taken a liking to sharpening their claws w it... Otherwise it seems v good.

Thanks Stephen and Matt for your suggestions.

It may be the case that the 'Monsoon' cover is still under guarantee, in which case I will either have a replacement or upgrade to the 'stormforce' product.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have a Stormforce (from Coverzone) on my car and it works very well. Sadly, the fit is not so good. My first one lasted about 6 months until the rear corners wore though, and my current one has pretty much gone the same way on one corner after about 8 months.

To be fair, Coverzone's customer service was very good. As the first was still under guarantee, all I needed to do was send them a few pictures of the worn-out cover and they sent me a replacement completely free of charge.

The bad news is that there is a flaw in their design (the pattern is for Tr's 4,5 and 6's) and as soon as there is a bit of wind, the covers movement slowly wears away at the corners.

If anyone know of a way of stopping this, I would be most grateful of some feedback.

The Stormforce material is fantastic and should last well over 2 years.

Cheers,

S.

Thanks S, I spoke with CoverZone and indeed their service is excellent !

My photos of the worn out Monsoon cover brought about an offer of a free replacement or upgrade to Stormforce for a nominal cost.

went for the Storm force and it arrived this morning, in time for my holidays.

I'll keep an eye on the corners wearing out, but this was not an issue on the monsoon so hopefully will be ok on the Stormforce.

Steve

• 4 months later...

Hi Steve,

How is your cover getting on?

My stormforce has finally given up after a cat used it as a scratching post whilst my car was temporarily living on my mates drive.

Just wondering if you had any issues with the corners rubbing, as I did?

Stephen.

Hi Stephen

The cover has been on the car for several months, I went away sailing.

Ive not checked on the corners, will do so and report back!

Steve

• 5 years later...

I have been using a Stormforce cover (9 months) that was made for an MGB (cc117) but it is too short so a bit tight on the TR4s sharp corners and doesn’t cover the bumpers.
It has been fine but my fiancée surprised me yesterday with a TR Stormforce cover. Unfortunately it seems far too big even though it is the correct one (model ccc128). The underbody strap buckles are at least 9” under the sills and the whole affair is really baggy and I have to crawl about on my knees to attach it. It may be tailor made but NOT for a TR.

I have sent pics to CoverZone and hopefully will hear back next week. 

Andy