So what happening in your garage this weekend?

so I fitted the cylinder head, and a load of other things. Just waiting for my new wire wheels to turn up, thinking about the seats now, not sure if I want MX5 ?? I am told Moss are about the re-release there high back replacements so I may hold on for them. Roll on spring time :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Well I've got a very TR'y weekend coming up. I'm going to carry on stripping the 2000 saloon and A-type O/drive, and come up with a definitive parts ordering list, mostly from ORS. Going to uprate the OD to TR spec, rear housing aside, and simply replace bearings, seals gaskets and layshaft in gearbox. I'm sure that'll do for now. If I have to revisit it in a few years, so be it.

Job II: guide an extremely non-mechanical friend through giving his CP6 running Strombergs a basic service and tune. This is the man who asked me what an overdrive is, literally the evening before he went to look at the car. I wasn't hugely surprised by the quality of what he bought .... Anyway, that'll be my Sat PM, but getting a nice dinner for my trouble, and I'm sure we'll have fun.

Sunday: more work that smells of EP something, but might rig my spare outboard fuel tank, a spare boat battery, and see if my US spec 6 donor does actually run as described in the ads. Hmmm, Gentlemen, place your bets! I'll have the bin bags ready for the flying bits, just in case. The oil at least looks to be perfectly clean, and there is the nastiest oil pressure gauge you ever did see still fitted, so I'll have the plugs out and wind it over like that first. No oil pressure, no more playing. I'll also check end float before cranking. The perfect situation would be to find it is indeed a decent runner.

If that is the case, it'll just get a deep service, thrust washers if needed, and a cosmetic make-over. If it looks pretty in the build pics, and can move the car around as it's built over next couple of years, that would be ideal. Idea is then that once the (ally) body is built, the engine can get whatever makeover the success of the body shape dictates. If it's gorgeous, it'll get a fantastic engine, if it's just O.K., the engine will reflect this. Judging by the design so far, the former is the more likely.

Right, it's all very well saying this stuff, I'd better get the overalls on, and get down to the workshop ....

Well I've got a very TR'y weekend coming up. I'm going to carry on stripping the 2000 saloon and A-type O/drive, and come up with a definitive parts ordering list, mostly from ORS. Going to uprate the OD to TR spec, rear housing aside, and simply replace bearings, seals gaskets and layshaft in gearbox. I'm sure that'll do for now. If I have to revisit it in a few years, so be it.

Barry,

I would recomend that you get the laygear machined for double bearings. Pete at ORS will do it for you and supply bearings.

Cheers

Graeme

Getting it ready for the arrival of my very first TR6.... it's like christmas all over again....!!

Edited by Nickffc

Just finished enclosing my noisy air compressor.

As I happen to have a sound level meter, I can document the difference it makes.

The noise, one metre from the machine, has dropped from 87 to 77dBs!

Pah, you say, that's only ten, but in fact, and because of the way the decibel scale is logarithmic, the noise is now a half of what it was.

It's taken the noise from the lower end of hearing damage to loud conversation,

That sort of reduction is the same as could be achieved by a commercial noise attenuation container, say for a diesel engine.

Quite proud, me!

John

Good day today - replaced almost all the (original) headlight wiring and introduced relays switched by the lights/headlight flasher switches. Now just need to replace the short lengthes that go into the headlight units. I'm sure the backache will go away soon . . . . .

Also good day. Fitted one trailing arm and drilled out the snapped bump stop in the other. Also fitted differential after turning the garage upside down looking for a missing rubber mounting bush. Welded the mounting tab on a front brake dust shield and fitted calipers. Best of all, ordered a supercharger from moss!

Nice one Tim, the project is moving forward.good to see.....i managed to finish off my total back end strip out....re bushed trailing arms,checked out the dampers, greased up the drive shaft splines, u/j`s were ok....cleaned all the years of grime off the parts and re painted everything,including the brake drums.Scraped off the underside and sprayed it with Dinatrol,it now looks great....Also changed the exhaust from two separate boxes at the back to the original type, sounds great.(by the way its a tr5 ,hope the 6 forum doesnt mind ! )

Went out for first test drive yesterday and feels and sounds so much better....Happy Days,

Conrad.

neil,

No, it just stands on the floor with the cover over it. The top and each side, save the back where there is a slot at ground level for the wiring and piping, has a layer of loft insulation, enclosed in hardboard. I may proceed to line it with an insulation product that is basically bubble wrap with a foil on one side and adhesive on the other, as it's going to get hot in there, and the heat insulation will contribute to noise deadening as well.

John

Not the weekend but wed/thurs i will be changing the trailing arm bushes :blink: and hopefully refitting the dif /drive shafts, hubs ;)

neil,

No, it just stands on the floor with the cover over it. The top and each side, save the back where there is a slot at ground level for the wiring and piping, has a layer of loft insulation, enclosed in hardboard. I may proceed to line it with an insulation product that is basically bubble wrap with a foil on one side and adhesive on the other, as it's going to get hot in there, and the heat insulation will contribute to noise deadening as well.

John

You do need to get some cool air flow over it or you will get trouble and it will make more water, cold air feed to the pump is always better as well.

Stuart.

How much flow, Stuart?

The slot at the back is large letter box size, at ground (concrete floor) level.

The pump draws air in from down there where it will be coolest.

That enough?

Maybe I should add a cheap remote thermometer inside!

John

How much flow, Stuart?

The slot at the back is large letter box size, at ground (concrete floor) level.

The pump draws air in from down there where it will be coolest.

That enough?

Maybe I should add a cheap remote thermometer inside!

John

With the pump it more flow over it hence the fan shape to the inside of its pulley, years ago when large compressors were starting to appear we were always advised to allow a good couple of feet around it free space and any compressor house had louvred sides for airflow. Inlet pipes were to the outside with a filter on the end of them. Trouble seems to be these days the pumps are spinning much faster and they also dont have the intercoolers like they used to.

Stuart.

Getting the mini set up for the annual wirral to llandudno run on Sunday.

I miss my Minis somedays, so versatile

Edited by Daz

having a look to see if i have a thermostat fitted.....running a little cold....!

thermostat done....and also wobbly steering column fixed...and as the speedo and tacho are out im going to refurb these with new white reflective paint on the inside and some LED lamps.... nice...

Nick