Daz

So what happening in your garage this weekend?

I'll be beaming this weekend (I hope) . .

P1300614a.thumb.jpg.38f2d9352d1253d393e27f9aff567e4f.jpg

1948 Sunbeam S7 (the early model before the more usual S7-deluxe).   I've been systematically selling off my motorcycles (had 14 and am now down to 4) to enjoy TR motoring rather than biking.   I've had this bike since 2011 and have recently done a lot of jobs to bring her back to being roadworthy and hopefully reliable.  A couple of months ago I resprayed the petrol tank (in two pack to resist petrol splashes) . .   

P1310827s.jpg.cec7ca8b55374393f434e7c163b6425f.jpg

While that paint was hardening I've also replaced its wheels and tyres . .

P1320046.thumb.JPg.49a235a548aa6036413b7a1fa1cde73f.JPg

^ seen here with the tank off my other Sunbeam. The original tyre size was 4.50 x 16" and this is about as close as I could get without spending a king's ransom on a new "vintage" tyre.  Not as pretty as the original ribbed tyre, but it should be good on the road.   I also had the motor out to replace the clutch,  had the dynamo armature rewound, and numerous other 'little jobs' which all seem to take a long while to do well.. 

Latest task was to lift the cyl. head for a light skim (gasket seeping gasses) and to have the valve guides replaced .  .

P1320655.thumb.JPG.ca722cb6d7cd781cc0819be072bccc92.JPG

She's now coming back together again . .

P1320683.thumb.JPG.46107403e761463208de86f0995be05a.JPG

So this weekend, pending the weather over here in Suffolk,  I hope to have her restarted and to undertake a little running-in and road test.

I've placed an advert on Car and Classics, so we shall see if there any collectors out there watching out for a rather special vintage motorcycle. 

Pete.

Started yesterday planning to set up my soft top frame ready for my upholsterer to extend the front of the cover and reinstall it for me.  The PO had installed it with the windscreen frame leaning too far back and ended up with large gaps at the base of the side windows.  I had moved this up some time back to match the windows but the soft top no longer fitted so I'd partially dismantled it so the vinyl could be removed and extended slightly at the front edge.

Anyway, it soon became clear that this was going to take some time.  The front angle was good but the rear of the side windows was sitting too high, so they needed to be tilted back which meant the windscreen angle had to be altered again.  However, there was a double bonus with this. The frame in the position I had it was not pulled down hard into the side brackets and I had been racking my brain as to how to prevent the potential movement in the remaining slack in the mounting rods.  I simply tightened the nuts up fully wich overcame that issue.  The second benefit was that tilting the frame back causes the softop frame above the rear of the window to lift as well! 

After spending all day modifying the front top channel support bracket and packing the rear, elongating holes for the winder mechanism, and dropping the screen frame back a bit I now have a pretty good result - on the driver's door at least.

It's a public holiday here today and I'll move on to the passenger's side.  For some reason, everything I've done on this door has taken longer than the same job on the drivers side.  Maybe I'll get lucky today? 

Apologies for the poor before and after shots, too much glare in my shed.

Gavin

15722034812090.jpg

15722034813161.jpg

15722055191940.jpg

15722034813453.jpg

15722034813322.jpg

I have finally finished building works on my enlarged garage and have got my tr6 back from my friends garage . Its now where it should be !

Len

IMG-20191027-WA0000.jpg

Moving on......

starting the cam timing now

Peter W

image.jpeg

Having found out why my idle AFR was way too rich (incorrect wiring instructions) I am going to start tidying up my ECU wiring. I am also planning on securing the fuel hardline to the chassis. That will be enough for this weekend, getting too cold to be out there for too long now.

Car is back from the upholsterer's with front panel replaced to match the screen angle.  Very happy with the job and I've been able to drive the car with the roof up for the first time since I purchased it a couple of years ago.

Just need to get the door locks operating and then the door cards can go back on.

Gavin

15732603373571.jpg

Edited by KiwiTR6
grammar

P1320733.thumb.JPG.7cc175e9d99eb26ad9df9bfe58cde400.JPG

Sold, paid for, and ready for collection ..around 10 am this  morning.

The relevance of this on the TR forum is that this money goes straight into my TR4A restoration fund.  And the floor & shelf space, and 'project time' are all freed up.  

It's a beautiful motorcycle but I now feel a touring in a 4A will be more fun than clobbering up and riding a motorcycle long distance   B)

Trial-fitted my rear bumper. surprise: it fitted straight away.

Waldi

Had to clean up in front of the window to get some space for our winter sensitive plants.

Since yesterday they are all in and it looks more like a green house. That fits with the green TR there...