So what happening in your garage this weekend?

I'll be beaming this weekend (I hope) . .

P1300614a.thumb.jpg.38f2d9352d1253d393e27f9aff567e4f.jpg

1948 Sunbeam S7 (the early model before the more usual S7-deluxe).   I've been systematically selling off my motorcycles (had 14 and am now down to 4) to enjoy TR motoring rather than biking.   I've had this bike since 2011 and have recently done a lot of jobs to bring her back to being roadworthy and hopefully reliable.  A couple of months ago I resprayed the petrol tank (in two pack to resist petrol splashes) . .   

P1310827s.jpg.cec7ca8b55374393f434e7c163b6425f.jpg

While that paint was hardening I've also replaced its wheels and tyres . .

P1320046.thumb.JPg.49a235a548aa6036413b7a1fa1cde73f.JPg

^ seen here with the tank off my other Sunbeam. The original tyre size was 4.50 x 16" and this is about as close as I could get without spending a king's ransom on a new "vintage" tyre.  Not as pretty as the original ribbed tyre, but it should be good on the road.   I also had the motor out to replace the clutch,  had the dynamo armature rewound, and numerous other 'little jobs' which all seem to take a long while to do well.. 

Latest task was to lift the cyl. head for a light skim (gasket seeping gasses) and to have the valve guides replaced .  .

P1320655.thumb.JPG.ca722cb6d7cd781cc0819be072bccc92.JPG

She's now coming back together again . .

P1320683.thumb.JPG.46107403e761463208de86f0995be05a.JPG

So this weekend, pending the weather over here in Suffolk,  I hope to have her restarted and to undertake a little running-in and road test.

I've placed an advert on Car and Classics, so we shall see if there any collectors out there watching out for a rather special vintage motorcycle. 

Pete.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Started yesterday planning to set up my soft top frame ready for my upholsterer to extend the front of the cover and reinstall it for me.  The PO had installed it with the windscreen frame leaning too far back and ended up with large gaps at the base of the side windows.  I had moved this up some time back to match the windows but the soft top no longer fitted so I'd partially dismantled it so the vinyl could be removed and extended slightly at the front edge.

Anyway, it soon became clear that this was going to take some time.  The front angle was good but the rear of the side windows was sitting too high, so they needed to be tilted back which meant the windscreen angle had to be altered again.  However, there was a double bonus with this. The frame in the position I had it was not pulled down hard into the side brackets and I had been racking my brain as to how to prevent the potential movement in the remaining slack in the mounting rods.  I simply tightened the nuts up fully wich overcame that issue.  The second benefit was that tilting the frame back causes the softop frame above the rear of the window to lift as well! 

After spending all day modifying the front top channel support bracket and packing the rear, elongating holes for the winder mechanism, and dropping the screen frame back a bit I now have a pretty good result - on the driver's door at least.

It's a public holiday here today and I'll move on to the passenger's side.  For some reason, everything I've done on this door has taken longer than the same job on the drivers side.  Maybe I'll get lucky today? 

Apologies for the poor before and after shots, too much glare in my shed.

Gavin

15722034812090.jpg

15722034813161.jpg

15722055191940.jpg

15722034813453.jpg

15722034813322.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having found out why my idle AFR was way too rich (incorrect wiring instructions) I am going to start tidying up my ECU wiring. I am also planning on securing the fuel hardline to the chassis. That will be enough for this weekend, getting too cold to be out there for too long now.

Car is back from the upholsterer's with front panel replaced to match the screen angle.  Very happy with the job and I've been able to drive the car with the roof up for the first time since I purchased it a couple of years ago.

Just need to get the door locks operating and then the door cards can go back on.

Gavin

15732603373571.jpg

Edited by KiwiTR6
grammar

P1320733.thumb.JPG.7cc175e9d99eb26ad9df9bfe58cde400.JPG

Sold, paid for, and ready for collection ..around 10 am this  morning.

The relevance of this on the TR forum is that this money goes straight into my TR4A restoration fund.  And the floor & shelf space, and 'project time' are all freed up.  

It's a beautiful motorcycle but I now feel a touring in a 4A will be more fun than clobbering up and riding a motorcycle long distance   B)

• 1 month later...

Started fitting new vinyl hood to my TR6

am at the tricky ‘stretch it tight but how tight?’ Part .....

AB8AC433-C84C-4EA4-A176-03DC3A60A1BE.png

26 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Started fitting new vinyl hood to my TR6

am at the tricky ‘stretch it tight but how tight?’ Part .....

AB8AC433-C84C-4EA4-A176-03DC3A60A1BE.png

Steve, 

I assume you're using a heater inside the car and a hair dryer to warm up the material before fitting.......worth a mention, as I know others that haven't with consqential results. 

Cheers, Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Steve, 

I assume you're using a heater inside the car and a hair dryer to warm up the material before fitting.......worth a mention, as I know others that haven't with consqential results. 

Cheers, Andrew

I was planning to Andrew, but my thermostatic fan heater chose today to die.... so i’ve put the job off for a few days.

need to visit the TRshop for a new set of side and front rubbers in any case

steve

Been assembling the gearbox to the engine.   Can get the input shaft entered into the driver plate splines, but the tip will not go into the spigot bearing.     Thank goodness its 'on the bench', I'm not trying with it all in the car, so best possible conditions, but it WILL not go in!

Stopped for, I hope, an inspiring cuppa.

J.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, Andrew Smith said:

TRs are all tucked up for winter, so dropped the front end off the Honda 750 before refitting the newly painted headlight bracket and headlight bowl.

Cheers, Andrew

IMG_8805.thumb.JPG.f97feabc22bdec20e0a705b067c973cd.JPG

That looks a decent size of sidecar on your Honda B)

On 12/28/2019 at 6:21 PM, john.r.davies said:

Been assembling the gearbox to the engine.   Can get the input shaft entered into the driver plate splines, but the tip will not go into the spigot bearing.     Thank goodness its 'on the bench', I'm not trying with it all in the car, so best possible conditions, but it WILL not go in!

Stopped for, I hope, an inspiring cuppa.

J.

John

I refitted my gearbox a couple of weeks ago with the same annoying problem, two of us for best part of an hour with no luck so we gave up and had a cuppa. Went back and the bugger practically fell into place. 

One has to ask what is it with tea and mechanical problems?

George

Hi Folks,

I have a bee in my bonnet about things that are not designed too well.

A while ago my 14W wiper motor that was fitted 18 months ago on my 4A decided not to turn off. The park switch went dicky.

Very basically the pin in the park micro switch was worn (after 18 months aaaarrrgggghhhh)

So put thinking cap on and decided to fit a special magnet energised semiconductor (Hall Effect sensor).

This worked well but it required a relay that kept operating during normal operation.  A changeover switch s required somewhere !!!!

So not much better (although the relay would probably operate for a good 1000,000 operations).

I then drew up a simple circuit to replace the relay with TRansistors. These would also be running all the time but with no moving parts.

Today my small power TRansistors turned (well, it is Christmas) and so into the garage and sort out the PCB.

Then the moment of truth - when I apply power it will either burst into life or burst into flames.  Sadly it was the flames.

The power transistor was not big enough for the wiper motor current.

Annoyingly I found some more powerful TRansistors in my goody bag - I needn't have waited for the last four days - doh.

Anyway I was discussing this with Lebro (Bob) yesterday at TVG and he suggested the next level of technology (MOSFET tranny)

I had considered this but was hoping old technology would suffice. I'm sure it would but the MODFETs will make it simpler.

I wonder how much smoke and flames I will produce tomorrow.

Roger

15 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Anyway I was discussing this with Lebro (Bob) yesterday at TVG and he suggested the next level of technology (MOSFET tranny)

I had considered this but was hoping old technology would suffice. I'm sure it would but the MODFETs will make it simpler.

I wonder how much smoke and flames I will produce tomorrow.

Roger

Roger, Be very careful not to let any metric smoke from the MosFets mix with imperial Lucas Smoke......it’ll cause mayhem !

steve

80D76B79-8294-4100-AC5E-B5316AFE120D.jpeg.406ecc704f90b1c045f4ee7ffa580bb0.jpegA44EAFC1-7562-4B2E-B734-D2B40D3B758A.jpeg.13a03fa65ba0a24d25c7c83f7befc503.jpegThe car is at my mates body shop as I was never totally happy with the bonnet a few places where it reacted. So while it’s away I thought paint the floor to match the car Mimosa Yellow 

Edited by Paul Hill

But surely that means that you won't be able to see the car when it returns! :huh:.

Very evnvious of such an empty, dedicated space! I have to share mine with a freezer, spare fridge, washing machine, tumble drier, sink and a loo (plus a load of junk that we havent used in 12 years - but apparently might be useful one day). Come to think of it I may as move in as there's even a mini oven with two rings in there somewhere!:ph34r:

17 minutes ago, Ben Freer said:

But surely that means that you won't be able to see the car when it returns! :huh:.

Very evnvious of such an empty, dedicated space! I have to share mine with a freezer, spare fridge, washing machine, tumble drier, sink and a loo (plus a load of junk that we havent used in 12 years - but apparently might be useful one day). Come to think of it I may as move in as there's even a mini oven with two rings in there somewhere!:ph34r:

Hi Ben

i will leave the roof up

Paul

1 hr 35 minutes in the garage this afternoon

P1330302s.jpg.21bd9b1e1607a265187202dea071991e.jpg

^ I made a bit of a hole ..and quite a bit of mess all over the floor while I was at it !

P1330305s.jpg.d96636e0edec9058107a5e02b0ca9dae.jpg

^ oh ?

P1330303s.jpg.b96bf82bbaa3ccd98d9c49093744fc4f.jpg

^ ah !

P1330306s.jpg.c0edd1e09cde3b866efa42f24e77da90.jpg

^  ah ha !

P1330310s.thumb.jpg.1560e8c3d103e4948deb603bb19a8a0a.jpg

^ that was last winter-months project  ..a micro coal burning stove with oven, for my boat. 

P1330311s.thumb.jpg.553c90ac2879f2b48ec53d6bd2e9d929.jpg

^ cooler weather is due ..and motivation to go out to the garage wilts. 

But I were a boy scout.

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

1 hr 35 minutes in the garage this afternoon

P1330302s.jpg.21bd9b1e1607a265187202dea071991e.jpg

^ I made a bit of a hole ..and quite a bit of mess all over the floor while I was at it !

P1330305s.jpg.d96636e0edec9058107a5e02b0ca9dae.jpg

^ oh ?

P1330303s.jpg.b96bf82bbaa3ccd98d9c49093744fc4f.jpg

^ ah !

P1330306s.jpg.c0edd1e09cde3b866efa42f24e77da90.jpg

^  ah ha !

P1330310s.thumb.jpg.1560e8c3d103e4948deb603bb19a8a0a.jpg

^ that was last winter-months project  ..a micro coal burning stove with oven, for my boat. 

P1330311s.thumb.jpg.553c90ac2879f2b48ec53d6bd2e9d929.jpg

^ cooler weather is due ..and motivation to go out to the garage wilts. 

But I were a boy scout.

I want one:)

Waldi