So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Fitted Samco hoses to the "6" and topped up coolant with Evans Waterfree, oh and left most of my knuckles behind!

No leaks tho.

Jon

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Fitted new drive shafts and hub to drivers side, both uj's were knackered and hub noisey. all nicely greased up and no more clunking.

Removed the passenger side and greased up, no problem there.

Dirty hands hands and a smile on my face.

Thanks for the loan of the lift lads !

Conrad.

Finished off my custom exhaust this weekend, reducing the number of slip joints on the previous twin pipe s/s system (of which at least one was leaking) from seven down to three. Admittedly it's all in mild steel, but this is my first such project using a TIG welder I purchased a couple of months ago so didn't want end up with a very expensive mistake. The outside is coated with woodstove paint and the inside with a mix of grease and tacky chainsaw bar oil.

Hopefully the sound will be a huge improvement over the Moss/Rimmers s/s muffler and system it was previously fitted with.....

post-14246-0-67750000-1531088834_thumb.jpgpost-14246-0-35974900-1531088853_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Lots of welding in the usual places of cracks ,dif mounts and the lower wish bone mounts well less said the better. Overall better than expected.

I think they must have had a shortage of welding wire as there seems to be a lot of seams that need attention, plan to add a few extra gussets here and there. Should keep me busy few moDSC04922.thumb.JPG.93068c7e31a3d802fc2c54fddc95f89b.JPGnths.

DSC04929.JPG

12 hours ago, PodOne said:

Lots of welding in the usual places of cracks ,dif mounts and the lower wish bone mounts well less said the better. Overall better than expected.

I think they must have had a shortage of welding wire as there seems to be a lot of seams that need attention, plan to add a few extra gussets here and there. Should keep me busy few moDSC04922.thumb.JPG.93068c7e31a3d802fc2c54fddc95f89b.JPGnths.

DSC04929.JPG

I would be inclined to completely replace that lower wishbone mounting as the side legs  of it should be all one piece from top to bottom. CTM do these https://ctmengineering.co.uk/

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

Recieved today two new wishbone mounts and strenthening kits as other side not much better, two trailing arm sections, turret to chassi sections, new front diff brigde (lots of previous rough repairs and cracked in a lot of places so quicker to just replace), top and bottom T shirts (as I plan to have a look while I can the boroscope wasn't that good) and a square meter of 2mm steel to box in everything else in the usual places as well as plate the front crossmember and chassi rails on the bottoms as constant use as jacking points have left lots of dents over the years. No rot they just don't look nice.  

The back end is solid. With regard to the wishbone brackets I plan to build up the bottom arms/brackets to get the position right, tack and then fully weld them up.

13 hours ago, PodOne said:

Thanks Stuart

Recieved today two new wishbone mounts and strenthening kits as other side not much better, two trailing arm sections, turret to chassi sections, new front diff brigde (lots of previous rough repairs and cracked in a lot of places so quicker to just replace), top and bottom T shirts (as I plan to have a look while I can the boroscope wasn't that good) and a square meter of 2mm steel to box in everything else in the usual places as well as plate the front crossmember and chassi rails on the bottoms as constant use as jacking points have left lots of dents over the years. No rot they just don't look nice.  

The back end is solid. With regard to the wishbone brackets I plan to build up the bottom arms/brackets to get the position right, tack and then fully weld them up.

Just be careful when welding "T" shirt and trailing arm sections in as thats when the back end tends to pull itself upwards.

Stuart.

Not TR related but I’m fitting a new heater matrix in my youngest son’s VW Corrado VR6 and replacing his rocker box gasket.

The heater is going to be a massive PITA. Looks like it’s raining all day Saturday.

Thanks for the tip Stuart. :) 

The frame is on a rotisserie so I guess this job would be better done on the floor with short welds in opposing corners then working inwards along with lots of measuring during the process to avoid creating a dragster look.

21 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Thanks for the tip Stuart. :) 

The frame is on a rotisserie so I guess this job would be better done on the floor with short welds in opposing corners then working inwards along with lots of measuring during the process to avoid creating a dragster look.

Yes much safer, If you look the chassis is essentially flat until you get to the kick up at the rear so if your floor is flat you will know if there is movement.

Stuart.

After replacing the brake master cylinder, I discovered while bleeding that a rear brake line was just touching the hand brake mechanism, so gently pushed it down to clear it. 

After finishing the bleeding I pushed on the pedal to check if all the air was gone and heard a 'fizzing' noise from behind me, it turns out the line had the tiniest hole in it, so although a little annoying I'm glad I've found it and will be replacing that pipe this weekend. 

Gareth