So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Hi Paul,

Maybe you know:

On many modern cars it is better to order the special wiring loom for the towbar, plug&play, and no error messages/ warninglights.

Waldi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Hi Paul,

Maybe you know:

On many modern cars it is better to order the special wiring loom for the towbar, plug&play, and no error messages/ warninglights.

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Yes always do things the hard way me, I only needed the standard 7 pin socket, indicators sidelights and braking lights so thought it would have been straight forward. Also fitted a bypass relay to safeguard the vehicle.

Have connected to the small trailer and have no warning lights as yet and all as it should be.

Paul

This weekend I decided to change the engine oil and fit a new filter, easy enough to do. As I was putting it back together I noticed that the bracket holding the inertia switch cut-off was a bit loose. I know, I'll fit some new pop rivets and that will sort that out, no problems.

As I drilled out the old rivets a puff of smoke warned me that something was wrong and I had hit a cable. So it was out with the glove box and everything else associated with it to see what the problem was. I had managed to drill through the main wiring loom and damaged 6 cables! So what should have been a quick job to change the oil turned into an all day session sorting out the wiring.

So be warned, one job turns into another, and theres a major part of the wiring loom right behind the inertia cutout switch, you have been warned :unsure:

Gave the garage a tidy and then rubbed down and painted a bit of the chassis where a petrol leak had lifted the paint..

Currently waiting for the engine to return from the rebuilders .

cheers

Tim

Picked up my new TR6 yesterday, treated it to stainless battery clamp on arrival as it had wrong part fitted, first of many changes no doubt.

Picked up my new TR6 yesterday, treated it to stainless battery clamp on arrival as it had wrong part fitted, first of many changes no doubt.

Congratulations on your purchase Ian and welcome to the forum. Do you have pictures of the car? We like pictures here!

Sean

Ian - is that correct? Ditto welcome to the forum and to TR ownership. I am sure you are going to have a lot of fun and meet lots of characters.

Whereabouts in the UK ( that's an assumption in itself!) are you based.

As Sean said, we love photos and be interested to hear what sort of changes you have in mind?

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for the welcome chaps, I have been lurking on this forum for years but have only just got round to owning a TR6. I am not new to Triumphs however, I have owned: 3 x GT6 MK2, Spitfire Mk3, Spitfire MkIV, Herald 13/60 Estate, Herald 13/60 Convertible, Herald/Vitesse Hybrid Estate; 2000 Mk1; 2500TC; 2500S and a Stag. I have recently sold a Series 2 E-type and am now looking forward to having fun with the TR.

Well according to my tracker the ignition had been off for 168 days 1 hr plus some odd mins and seconds. I measured the battery voltage still 12.2v a bit surprised there! Popped on the trickle charger for 20 mins then got impatient . Switched on the ignition for 20 seconds ..... just to listen to the fuel pump and check for any signs of Mr. Lucas’ famous electrical smoke escaping. Then hit the ignition... a couple of second sluggishly cranking over and it fired up!..... on all 6 pots too!

Now to sort everything for the New Forest Run in April!

• 3 weeks later...

A productive day, fitted a hard wired power supply for my dash cam, connected it up to my newly installed auxiliary fuse panel. I also ran a power supply to my centre armrest, I can now charge my phone too.

I managed to get one MX5 seat mounted in the TR4a before it rained..! Other than that , non TR restoration work for those who are interested in bodywork/ metalwork as a general subject might find my progress on the Morris Minor LCV worth a look.

The vans notoriously rust in the roof/ gutter sections, but can be repaired with repair sections from Fairmile Restorations, which are quite a good fit. The problem with the Minor van is that there are very few if any straight lines to reference from, which makes it all the more challenging.

The usual method is to drill out the spot welds and remove the roof, replace the van side top edges, gutter and roof edges. The vans are getting hard to find but worth saving as a big part of our motoring heritage. This one is ex Southern Electric Board ( Portsmouth), but will be painted in BL Antelope when finished.

So long way to go but relishing the challenge!

Kevin

post-12159-0-94090700-1522595302_thumb.jpg

post-12159-0-20011600-1522595330_thumb.jpg

Pertronix Ignitor 2 & Flamethrower 2 coil fitted, very easy job and a noticeable improvement.

First run with expansion bottle IN the cooling water circuit to get the air out of there but to keep it under preasure in the system, works great.

If needed / an improvement I will see when I put the batteries in the thermometers and when it will be summer.

Perhaps only an interesting experiment?

Edited by Z320

Hi Folks,

I had great plans fr this week-end but it is raining, and raining and raining.

Roger

Hi Roger

Raining.........the entire story of the last 5 months virtually. Everyone's had enough..But there may be a ray of hope on the horizon and a promise of Spring as next weekend's forecast is a bit more promising.... so get those TR's fired up and ready to roll! :)

Kevin

Got a full day in outside without a drop of rain .... working on the car rather than driving it, but at least it was dry :)

....... Andy

Plodding through long list of jobs on the Stag - started with pulling the gearbox out and noticed the diff was severely incontinent so that came out today.

Hopefully reassembly begins next week when I get the water pump back from the rebuilder (for the second time).

Gearbox should be back from Mick Papworth in a week or two and the diff should be sorted in the week.

Spent last weekend and the couple before doing some basic spannering ... changed engine oil/oil filter, topped up diff and GB oil, greased all round, changed dizzy cap, plugs and rotor arm (something I do every couple of years regardless of how well car is running), and cleaned the air filter. Pretty much all ready for the summer now. Took her out for a 70 mile shakedown run and gave it some welly. Seems to be running nicely.

Only other thing I might tackle is valve clearance adjustment. Not done it before, so I have to work up to it.

Cheers, Darren