So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Finally got the shell off! Restoration well under way.

0103B4E7-9DA1-4237-97A4-52EBD2A6FED6.thumb.jpeg.d4cb0305b17d739b40fd716bd93cda10.jpeg

Edited by Iruka
Spelling
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, DaveN said:

Pair of Limora CV jointed half shafts going in. Just waiting for new T/A studs that are being manufactured longer. 
Having measured the hub flanges on the originals and the new ones they are the same within a few thou’ but with the back plate and the hub in position the standard nylock nuts are not in safety (I used Loctite 243 last time).... and yes I have tried new studs! So the new ones are the same length going into the T/A, 0.375 plain section for the backplate and hub (will allow for the clamp up) and 0.875 for the washer and nut. 

Just a thought. You could fit half nuts that are nylocks. 

23 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Just a thought. You could fit half nuts that are nylocks. 

Kaynar nut?  5/16 unf.  Same sort of price as  Moss GHF272 nylocs.

Peter W

https://www.lasaero.com/products/article/G1PQFW4D

image.png.d2838c718b30254e7dc7472b6a36d794.pngor

https://www.lasaero.com/products/article/CUB8AQL

image.png.bc3f047fa32cb4414c2a06a13152be5e.png

Indeed Kaylock nuts... we use lots of those, best driven internally and ideal where space is tight. What prompted the longer studs was getting more of the plain section into the backplate and the hub flange.

One thing with Kaylocks is the self lock function being ‘distorted’ thread and not nylon, they will rip out the stud if the threads are weak in any way.

3 hours ago, Iruka said:

Finally got the shell off! Restoration well under way.

0103B4E7-9DA1-4237-97A4-52EBD2A6FED6.thumb.jpeg.d4cb0305b17d739b40fd716bd93cda10.jpeg

good luck with the resto but Do you not have the lift bolted to the floor ?

Hi Hamish, thanks for the good wishes. The ramp is designed by the manufacturers to be moved on wheels (which are removable) when required. The lift is not in its normal location in the garage at the moment so the bolts are not fitted. Normally it is bolted down.

The car is a basket case! It has been in a big collision at some time in the distant pass. Will be replacing the chassis and the majority of the panels forward of the B pillars! Got to keep these Magenta cars on the road! 

Steve

15 minutes ago, Iruka said:

Hi Hamish, thanks for the good wishes. The ramp is designed by the manufacturers to be moved on wheels (which are removable) when required. The lift is not in its normal location in the garage at the moment so the bolts are not fitted. Normally it is bolted down.

The car is a basket case! It has been in a big collision at some time in the distant pass. Will be replacing the chassis and the majority of the panels forward of the B pillars! Got to keep these Magenta cars on the road! 

Steve

"Normally it is bolted down"

That's a VERY good practice, although many of these ramps are mobile the manufacturers make a point of specifying it should be bolted down in use, they are trying to protect themselves against claims...such as this.

collapsed_lift_4.jpg.9aa3080ae38a094f40ef4b3c805efdb9.jpg

Mick Richards

Greetings Mick, I have discussed this very point when the lift was assembled earlier in the year. I needed to move the lift to get a bit more room in the garage before lifting off the body. Bearing in mind the weight of the stripped body shell and the height it needed to be raised, I had no concerns for this exercise, of using it not bolted down. 
Cheers Steve

3F016BE1-05C8-40D0-818E-4F86801DAB24.thumb.jpeg.8089692af0cc3d14dc37c23ed1fe7226.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Iruka said:

Greetings Mick, I have discussed this very point when the lift was assembled earlier in the year. I needed to move the lift to get a bit more room in the garage before lifting off the body. Bearing in mind the weight of the stripped body shell and the height it needed to be raised, I had no concerns for this exercise, of using it not bolted down. 
Cheers Steve

3F016BE1-05C8-40D0-818E-4F86801DAB24.thumb.jpeg.8089692af0cc3d14dc37c23ed1fe7226.jpeg

Garage envy now steve. :rolleyes: