So what happening in your garage this weekend?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

After finding a broken casting on my dynamo I decided to bite the bullet and Fit a little (racing) alternator to my 3a

individually sources parts kept the price to much less than  half the kit prices out there  

thanks to Peter W and Fireman Tom for lots of advice in the back ground.

just waiting for some wire to finish the job.

H

CB57392A-CD60-4BA2-9083-4B559123FA62.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pic
9 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

So what's the difference apart from smaller size between the racing alternator and a run of the mill modern equivalent 16acr one please? Or is it just for the bling factor as I've never seen the point. 

Michael

Basically the size of them plus they are quite high output.

Stuart.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 3:36 PM, Steves_TR6 said:

My Honda CB550 project is making great progress

two of the four carbs were corroded away, so i ordered the only reasonable set on ebay in europe, most were in the us

these arrived yesterday so i stripped and ultrasonically cleaned them, then made up a good set of four.

this morning i assembled these onto the manifold and bench synced them

lunchtime saw the big moment, will it run .......

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhDJKiWSrX7_tXMdX3KPIAV2g0Q5

Two of the carbs leaked heavily from their overflows, but a float swap seems to have cured this and all is good

just need a charging system, Tank, exhaust, brakes........

steve

Well done Steve. Sounds great.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, Hamish said:

After finding a broken casting on my dynamo I decided to bite the bullet and Fit a little (racing) alternator to my 3a

individually sources parts kept the price to much less than  half the kit prices out there  

H

Looks good.

However.......Get one of these caps and fit it over the B+ terminal nut and post. https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/159/category/32

That is a direct battery feed and if you get a spanner stuck in there touching the steering column it will go bang and/or weld itself together.

image.png.90b15229f5ee9ea01a60ee2331a05d3f.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

So far this week, I've had the Rev counter out to replace the oil warning indicator that came out during the trip to the I.O.W.(years ago):lol:,Bit of a Bu@@er to remove, but job done.

this afternoon im going to fit my Overdrive logic that I bought back in 2013 that I found in the garage last weekend:lol::lol: 

I noticed that the bush in the bulkhead that supports the accelerator pedal shaft was missing. The shaft was just rattling around in the hole with quite a lot of play. So I ordered poly bush 138490 from Rimmer Bros.

Today I decided to fit it. What could possibly go wrong :wacko:

The diagram I had seen showed the bush held in position with a washer and split pin. But my pedal shaft had no split pin hole. Well it bloody well does now, job done :lol:

Sunday I decided to investigate the failure of the roof panel release mechanism on the xjs. 

Problem found, both operating rods had broken off inside the catches.

So far replacements are unobtainable . I have a vague memory of seeing something similar elsewhere but for the life of me can't remember where

DSCF0060.thumb.JPG.501eb81c156a8c2b2161d8769a686aed.JPG

More straining of the grey cells required

Brian

12 hours ago, brian -r said:

Sunday I decided to investigate the failure of the roof panel release mechanism on the xjs. 

Problem found, both operating rods had broken off inside the catches.

So far replacements are unobtainable . I have a vague memory of seeing something similar elsewhere but for the life of me can't remember where

DSCF0060.thumb.JPG.501eb81c156a8c2b2161d8769a686aed.JPG

More straining of the grey cells required

Brian

You could always grind off the rivets and open the catches up and then repair from there.

Stuart.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:29 PM, Hamish said:

H

Have you fitted some insulation to protect the beaut alternator from that nearby exhaust pipe. All the aces got me to do it when I fitted mine.

16 minutes ago, little jim said:

Have you fitted some insulation to protect the beaut alternator from that nearby exhaust pipe. All the aces got me to do it when I fitted mine.

Hi LJ

yes fitted a heat shield And waiting for some more wrap to turn up.

the alternator is about half the size of the dynamo so there is a lot more air space around it for cooling. 

CFBF5C25-4C43-4DEC-9A6D-AABCFF97EA38.jpeg

Got the old Dolomite heated rear window switch out and started building the hazard flasher kit for the TR. 

Auxiliary wiring loom now done, flasher relay mounted.  Next step make connections to existing loom by the horns and work out where to fit the switch.  Pick up fused permanent live,  create decent earth circuit.   I have all LED indicator bulbs plus regular incandescent warning lights.  I am hoping the additional LED flasher unit will cope with the power consumption of 4 flashers plus 2 warning lights.

Should I poke a hole in the dash panel by the overdrive switch or make an under dash bracket?   

I feel I ought to improve my wiring diagram for the car somehow.  It is currently a photocopy of the original diagram with scribbles and added bits of paper.  Anyone got an idea that will not require too many arty skills?  

A computer generated diagram would be a blessing, if not just for me but for those who come after.  I do have Illustrator but struggle with how to use it.  My CAD prog is very basic and I cannot work out how I would adapt it.

Any suggestion ?

Cheers

Peter W

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
photos added

I've rehosed the "Turkish Distillery" in my boot, with alcohol resistant hosing.    Because it's all very non-standard, and a Vitesse never had Lucas Pi in the first place, there's a lot of it!    And I found that this tubing is softer, or has a thinner wall than the old stuff.     It kinks much more easily, so I needed longer runs and wider radii to prevent that.    Also fitted a non-OE PRV, with integral pressure gauge, that I found ina box of bits.  I have no memory of ever buying it!     But it menas that I have another way of chekcing the pressure, that doesn't need me to run between the dash and the boot if it needs adjusting.

Because that was the problem that set me on this course in the first place.  "No pressure", zero, zilch showing on the dash gauge.      As I have posted before, I suspected the pump - had it tested, A-OK - the aftermarket PRV - replaced the diaphragm - all to no avail.   Then I tested the sensor that sits on the bulkhead, for the dash fuel pressure gauge,.   Made up a seal so I could use compressed air and "No pressure"!  When my compressor was delivering about 90psi.   B*9934!    It's taken weeks - months! - to get here, when If I had trusted the pump and thought it thorugh the other way, I would have tested the sensor first of all! 

There's a new sensor on its way, but from the US, and the Old Pony Express seems to be a Knackered Old Nag.  But I should be able to start this new engine on that.  WooHoo!

John

IMG_20200503_123410[1].jpg

That's a lot of plumbing! Did you ever give thought to a in-tank pump, filter,  pressure regulator, fuel rail and return type set up? Might have been a lot simpler and cheaper.

Andy

Crikey you need to know what you are doing with that set up, I was dizzy looking at it

On 4/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, Hamish said:

H

This is how bored I have got and that I have been encouraged into the garage.

i have made a “quilted” alternator heat shield. Just waiting for cable terminal cover to turn up before final fitting.

over engineered? certainly, fun to do? yes, Effective ? I hope so, a thing of beauty? noooo.

DE0D1E10-B022-4507-B7DC-7B6E0A21B6C2.jpeg