So what happening in your garage this weekend?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Looking very tidy and spacious Mike !

i enlisted the help of the TR to test an Inverter for Kedr !

Kedr has a fabulous AV system consisting of an LED Tv, Bose surround system with three ‘zones’, Blu-Ray player etc.

all of this is powered from 240Volts, either from shore supply when in a marina or from the onboard 6KW generator.

which is all fine and works perfectly, but if we are anchored in a bay for the afternoon or overnight then to play music or watch a film we presently have to run the generator.

on Amita we had an inverter for this situation, to silently pull 240V out of the domestic battery bank, so I’m going to add a similar capability on Kedr.

Today i tested the unit, a small 500W Pure Sine Wave Victron Inverter, by connecting it to the TR’s batter and then mowing the lawn and running my TV/Apple Tv from it.

all worked Perfectly !

just need the travel restrictions to go away soon so we can try this on Kedr .....

Steve

FDC9CDE5-1E58-4E73-B605-748160498A57.jpeg

Hi,

last weekend it was too cold in the garage to work on the window boards for our new entrance.

Started yesterday afternoon and finished today, tomorrow I fix them on the windows.

P1150798-b.JPG.9e7372734bdd80c720aafb0478156e87.JPG

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

As I can't drive the car I might as well take it off the road again, this time the O/S/F suspension, I've got it all apart today, apart from the two inner fulcrum pin bolts, clearance issues engine side, they're tomorrow's problem.

one.jpg

two.jpg

Made 6 off  602443 reinforcing plates to hold the inner front wings to the chassis from 4 mm stainless. 2 for me 4 for brother.

Basic material was 4mm thick by 40 mm wide and 1 metre long stainless steel strip.

Drew the old one with CADintosh and then stretched it to suit the 40mm strip width and a touch longer. 

Printed out full size and had brother check it on his NOS from inner wings and the car that is about to lose its originals.  Once he was happy with the fit, off I went to the garage workshop.

Marking out simple. Cutting was easy with a 1 mm slitting disc, drilling was a horror show as the material is quite hard. 

Needed 7/16" holes (11 and a bit mm) and my drilling machine capacity is 3/8" or 10 mm. Finished size using a step drill - Very Project Binky.

Remember:-  Slow and oily.

All I need to do now is de-burr and polish.

Cheers

Peter W

602443 in SS.jpg

21 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

all bloody week"?

...and the next, and the next, and probably the one after that too......

1 hour ago, RobH said:

...and the next, and the next, and probably the one after that too......

Also I feel like an invader as it is in the TR6 bucket not the General Technical one.

How do the more organised of our users search any particular topic or task?

I feel a database with hyperlinks coming on....

Cheers

Peter W

Finally swapping front suspension on my 3a. 
new top wishbones (shortened) nylon bushed. New top ball joint. New castor trunnions.

uprated stub axle and hub inc all the Tim Ken bearings,  new disc

yet to fit new uprated 420lb springs

new yet to arrive Gaz adjustable shocks. 

65202CC3-FCA6-4EA3-8770-A2175322C889.jpeg

334B2573-B8FA-4D38-8394-4280FA088A91.jpeg

DFE6B8AA-B11F-42E5-817C-7918EDA05C25.jpeg

432C0AAF-3D45-464B-B1FC-F545D5EC50E1.jpeg

Good work Hamish, and i love those beefy stub axles!

earlier i took the passenger door card off my 6 to fix the central locking which was making a noise but not locking the passenger door!

simple fix as the solenoid to lock connection, a cable tie...., had broken

remade the connection with some steel wire, three separate loops for redundancy !

now the Alpina is on the drive to have its battery charged fully, modern cars left for weeks can lead to dissatisfaction when they wont start ....

it’ll have to move on tuesday to make way for cb550 delivery in the afternoon, which will then occupy the workshop for a while 

steve

0C68DCB5-ABEA-40B3-8691-478B2B64A8BD.jpeg

Mike you should be ashamed.

Those wheels are are filthy and will take you ages to get them to your usual standard 

:ph34r: :P :D

OSF suspension rebuild completed, car now back on road, for what it's worth these days. 

suspension.jpg

Changed front wheel bearings and trunnion/suspension lubrication .... my pockets aren’t deep enough for updated stub-axles/hubs, but I finally got around to fitting the Anti-knock-off sleeves to the stub axles which I bought some time ago.

........ Andy 

TR6 and its mates are all serviceable and ready to go.

Spending my time making a buggy for my good lady to drive around the property.  About half way through the project.   5.5 HP motor with electric start and centrifugal  clutch. "Armstrong" steering (when fitted). Braking done by a hand brake lever.   0 - 60 MPH in about 15 minutes :o

Keep safe

Alan

Four cars 2a.jpg

Buggy 5a (2).jpg

Finished welding in the repro diff bridge.

Now  wrestling with the trailing arms to put poly bushes in and whilst they are off I will weld up the back plates on the brakes and put in some helicoils in the trailing arms.  Trying to work out how he managed to fit the bolts oriented this way? Has the body been off or did Triumph do it when they built the 4A?

Not looking forward to getting the underseal and black waxoyl off the trailing arm. What posessed the previous owner to have put t on the trailing arms? 

maybe of use to someone...... for years I have always struggled to get a good seal on my grease gun, despite my best endeavours and using cloth over the grease-nipple I always seemed to get only 10% where it was intended and mess elsewhere!

I spotted this on special offer a while ago on amazon, used it this afternoon and it was a revelation - all grease in the right place, job done in seconds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-COUPLER-Coupler-Lock-Clip-off-machine/dp/B0133NDH6E

not cheap for what it is, but I suspect it will pay for itself in reduced grease consumption and fewer swear-box contributions!

....... Andy 

24 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

maybe of use to someone...... for years I have always struggled to get a good seal on my grease gun, despite my best endeavours and using cloth over the grease-nipple I always seemed to get only 10% where it was intended and mess elsewhere!

I spotted this on special offer a while ago on amazon, used it this afternoon and it was a revelation - all grease in the right place, job done in seconds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-COUPLER-Coupler-Lock-Clip-off-machine/dp/B0133NDH6E

not cheap for what it is, but I suspect it will pay for itself in reduced grease consumption and fewer swear-box contributions!

....... Andy 

oops

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Grease-Gun-G-Coupler-Quick-Release-Lock-On-Coupling-End-1-8-NPT-Workshop-Farm/392556398396

Roger

6 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

It’s ok, my special offer was £9 :)   Either way, it does the job.

........ Andy 

Sorry me, please allow me to tell you a simple rule to get all grease in the nipple, because I know lots of us don't know about: 

always take attention to hold the mouth of the grease gun as good as possible in line (upright) to the grease nipple and not angular.

If you failed so far try it the next time and you will see

Edited by Z320

Tom,

"..This may be of some help to you recovering your sidescreens..."

Thanks for that.

I'll bear it in mind when I get to that stage.

(And then discover that I've made them too small.)

Charlie.