So what happening in your garage this weekend?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Stuart--

Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly critical.

The V-groove bearings are industry number RM2 2RS.  A Google search will turn up a lot of places to buy them.  Those bearings work for a range of tubing sizes, but for 5/16" tubing, if the tool is adjusted too tight, the sharp tops of the grooves will leave marks.  The standard shoulder bolts I used required a couple of thin shims to tighten up the fit.

Ed

DSC06486a.JPG.0aadc7a14329bc95643178584f608e28.JPG

DSC06487a.JPG.de2d329408e9f993743c112e156c4b5d.JPG

DSC06489a.JPG.891fe279600ce48745b0494e2c4d31b1.JPG

DSC05447a.JPG

Hi Ed,

you got a "like" from me for this post, your complete description and the photos. Great!!!

That's what the internet and a forum is for and it needs members like you.

But sadly this information is lost in this post and - and more sadly, also lost in this forum.

This because the structur is "models" and not "issues", your post would fit well the "issue" "brakes".

Ciao, Marco

Marco raises a good point here, so you also get a like from me:)

He is referring to the German TR-Freunde (Friends) forum, which contains a library per topic with good info like Ed’s clear description.

Other examples that would fit in there are:

My TR is overheating, possible causes, checks and solutions.

How to commission (vent) the Lucas fuel injection system.

What steps to take when my brakes are soft?

Roger made a long check list a couple of years ago, about overheating I think, but where is it?

Make this has been discussed before on this forum, but I would be interested to hear.

Having validated and to the point information would be helping all of us.

Looking forward to responses.

Regards,

Waldi

PS: Sorry for highjacking/fouling this topic, but this is such a good example.

Another highjack; A section for peoples Build Threads would be good and provide inspiration and is common on other clubs forums.

Separate sections for brakes, suspension, engine, transmission etc would make an excellent place to gather knowledge for future and present members.

Andy

50 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Roger made a long check list a couple of years ago, about overheating I think, but where is it?

PS: Sorry for highjacking/fouling this topic, but this is such a good example.

Waldi

rogers overhearing thread is “pinned” under the TR Technical section. The general section that is under the model specific listings 

perhaps we can start a post there to post “useful and or home made tools” topic. 

Then start your contribution with 

“General xxxxxxxx”

or model specific

“TR6 xxxxxx”

“TR4 xxxxxxx”

etc

to help with searches  

Edited by Hamish

Hi - interesting thread which I agree will probably get lost in the mists of time - rather than set up new forums to try and accommodate different areas, surely a really good search function would cure ALL the problems , easily?

Back to this immediate topic, any one tried on of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Straightening-Tool-Copper-Steel-Kunifer-3-16-1-4-5-16-Straightener/283487827640?fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph|

cheers

Rich

there ok, not the best. i tried one at the resoration show and while it did strighen to a degree it wasnt great. ok if you just untwisting and happy with a few wobbles....!

Hi Folks,

Just to clarify. It was Menno that started that 'Over heating ' thread.  I simply tidied it up, added some follow up suggestion and then pinned it in a suitable forum.

The forums have changed a great deal since it was pinned, with little consideration of the topics and consultation with posters.

Perhaps a 'special tools' forum where posters can post on the usual forum then copy their special tool to the new Special tools forum.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
7 hours ago, ed_h said:

Stuart--

Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly critical.

The V-groove bearings are industry number RM2 2RS.  A Google search will turn up a lot of places to buy them.  Those bearings work for a range of tubing sizes, but for 5/16" tubing, if the tool is adjusted too tight, the sharp tops of the grooves will leave marks.  The standard shoulder bolts I used required a couple of thin shims to tighten up the fit.

Ed

DSC06486a.JPG.0aadc7a14329bc95643178584f608e28.JPG

DSC06487a.JPG.de2d329408e9f993743c112e156c4b5d.JPG

DSC06489a.JPG.891fe279600ce48745b0494e2c4d31b1.JPG

DSC05447a.JPG

Thats great, thank you Ed.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

Just to clarify. It was Menno that started that 'Over heating ' thread.  I simply tified it up, added some follow up suggestion and then pinned it in a suitable forum.

The forums have changed a great deal since it was pinned, with little consideration of the topics and consultation with posters.

Perhaps a 'special tools' forum where posters can post on the usual forum then copy their special tool to the new Special tools forum.

Roger

This has sort of been kicked off.

Cheers

Peter W

Not Tr related, but spent Saturday wiring in and starting up my mg midget rover k series project. Had to swap over one wire and then she fired up in first turn. EFI is a wonderful thing!

tim

• 2 weeks later...

After removing the rear outer and inner valences last week the boot floor was repaired along it rear edge but after attacking a few more scabby areas the metal was really thin and the back third of the RH boot floor/side was also very rusty. So rather than spending loads of time trying effect repairs I bit it the bullet and cut out the boot floor and RH boot side/floor panel and made some edge repair patches.

Off next week and the wife's away so I should be able to make some progress with been nagged to death:D Happy days!

boot 2.jpg

boot 3.jpg

boot.jpg

Edited by PodOne
pics added

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Zodi 7.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

working to get my panel gaps to my liking, previous owner fitted new sills very badly. Can't believe how it affects all panels. Getting there slowly. Front wing as probably been on and off a zillion times. 

Edited by Mark69

Finally the tub is in paint and back on the car. Very satisfying  

Have been refurbishing all the million other bits on shelves in the meantime - hence my obscure questions about gloveboxes!

I also started a blog - more for my own amusement and documentation than anything else. http://markstr6rebuild.weebly.com

This forum continues to be invaluable as I wrestle this thing back together. 

E519AEF4-994D-44F4-B652-17F25E66A389.jpeg

Great achievement Mark!

Cheers,

Waldi

edit: and a nice blog, I like your gearbox cover solution.

Edited by Waldi

I’d love to have the nerve, ability and space oh and money to do a full re build of a classic. 

Much respect to all those that do “have a go”

Really good work guys, looking forward to seeing the finished cars...however long it eventually takes :D

Gareth

Hi Mark,

Nice work, Im to in the middle of a full restoration... no where near as far and three years in... and only updated my blog ages ago... very lazt on that side...!

i like the bit on the bluetooth conversion.. easlily distratcted..!  have you got anymore details on the control of the on off and volume.

Nick

Hi Mark

Nice web site which gives me inspiration to keep cracking on!

I'm still welding, welding and more welding, 3 square meters of steel and 5kg of mig wire.

Andy

4 hours ago, Nickffc said:

Hi Mark,

Nice work, Im to in the middle of a full restoration... no where near as far and three years in... and only updated my blog ages ago... very lazt on that side...!

i like the bit on the bluetooth conversion.. easlily distratcted..!  have you got anymore details on the control of the on off and volume.

Nick

Hi Nick. Thanks. 

I stole the idea from something I’d seen online. 

For on and off I just made up a bit of metal between the “tone” button (do you remember those!) and the on off button on the Bluetooth module. And for the volume I just put a rubber band round the “tuner” knob- I,e, the right hand spindle, and the knob on the module. 

I’m not sure how robust the volume control will be. But to be honest I can adjust it from my phone anyway. 

Cheers

mark