So what happening in your garage this weekend?

4 hours ago, Nickffc said:

Cheers Waldi, the restoration has become a little “detailed”...! :)

That's some very neat pipework Nick, I'm most jealous. Re your braided fuel hoses along the chassis, I was warned against that idea with the argument of flying stones and other debris puncturing/damaging the armour. I do so wish I hadn't listened. Is that rubber inserted "P" clips you've got attaching the hoses to the rails, what about the 90deg bends up towards the tank, is it the same length of hose or have you integrated a steel pipe elbow?

Richard.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

On 5/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, Nickffc said:

Been doing a bit of plumbing 

2852B7B1-10F0-43FF-A6F9-81F16CD20F00.jpeg

589887C3-4396-4D10-A214-08B72B3E59A7.jpeg

AF3C7373-1EAD-4303-BC1A-3B56C0B13AA2.jpeg

DAE196A3-337A-4D88-8065-5D1A0C8CD6ED.jpeg

I hope youve made sure that hose is ethanol proof. You may also find you`ll get heat transference problems in the area near the exhaust.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Nick, doing my EFI installation, I re-did all the fueling pipes....I was thinking about steel braided hoses, however, had similar concerns as Stuart raised.

I choose Goodridge Aluminium piping with heat wrapping in the area (T-Shirt Box) near the exhaust.

What was your reason for choosing steel braided hoses??

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR
7 hours ago, stuart said:

I hope youve made sure that hose is ethanol proof. You may also find you`ll get heat transference problems in the area near the exhaust.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Yes, Ethanol rated hose... i also intend to install a heat sheld along the lenght of the hose where there could be heat transferance...

had a few instances when the car was on the raod in the summer months and got caught out with vapourisations...!!!

Cheers

nick

21 hours ago, Richard71 said:

That's some very neat pipework Nick, I'm most jealous. Re your braided fuel hoses along the chassis, I was warned against that idea with the argument of flying stones and other debris puncturing/damaging the armour. I do so wish I hadn't listened. Is that rubber inserted "P" clips you've got attaching the hoses to the rails, what about the 90deg bends up towards the tank, is it the same length of hose or have you integrated a steel pipe elbow?

Richard.

thanks Richard...

personally i dont see the logic on stones damaging the hose... hard object hitting a rubber object would just bounce off..! i would be more worried if a stone hit the brake lines... if you ever tried sandbalsting anything rubber... i wont do a lot...

yes, stainless rubber shroud P clips... and ill have a bosch pump and filter mounted within the chassie rails with the inlets and outlets positioned to provide those angles..

nick

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Nick,

what material are the solid brake pipes. They look very Concordesque - as in Stainless steel.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Copper nickel version...... and a bit polished with a light laquer to keep shiney... !!!

Secret to a good neat install is getting the brake line dead strait first.. then i used a bit of wire from a coat hanger to make the shape and then transfer this to the brake line...

Found this tool at the restoration show.... £95 but it will do all sizes upto 10mm.

lLPlhDl9R62QaQtMzYTcMg.jpg

7 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Nick, doing my EFI installation, I re-did all the fueling pipes....I was thinking about steel braided hoses, however, had similar concerns as Stuart raised.

I choose Goodridge Aluminium piping with heat wrapping in the area (T-Shirt Box) near the exhaust.

What was your reason for choosing steel braided hoses??

Jochem

Hi Jochem,

i like to look of the braided hoses but more importantly, i wanted something that had less joints that could fail...!

Nick

1 hour ago, ed_h said:

Very nice job, Nick.

I absolutely agree with straightening the tubing before shaping it.  It makes for a much neater result.

Ed

IMG_0010a.JPG

Oooo. That’s clever 

2 hours ago, ed_h said:

Very nice job, Nick.

I absolutely agree with straightening the tubing before shaping it.  It makes for a much neater result.

Ed

IMG_0010a.JPG

Nice tool but very expensive over here.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Nice tool but very expensive over here.

Stuart.

That one is home made.  The V-groove bearings were from eBay at about $4 each.

Ed

23 hours ago, ed_h said:

Ed

Interesting as Im sure I have seen one like that for sale in the States around $150

Stuart.

I don't rightly remember, but it's likely that I ripped off the design from something I'd seen.

There is one for around $150 that has V-groove bearings in two planes at right angles to each other.  The simpler one accomplishes the same thing by rotating it as you pull it back and forth on the tubing.

Ed

On 5/14/2019 at 6:07 PM, ed_h said:

Ed

Do you have a drawing you would be willing to share as I will get my machinist friend to knock me one up.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
34 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Stuart--

I don't have drawings, but I'll take some measurements and some more pics and post them tonight.

Rf

Thanks

Stuart.

I cheat, the few times I have done straight brake lines I just walk it out on the garage floor although that tool does look good

cheers

Alan

To straighten locking wire you put one end in the vice and pull the other with your pliers.

So one day I went to see my man at British Airways to see if he had a strong pair of pliers to pull my 3/16 copper tubing.

When he stopped laughing he took my pipe and whacked it (like a slipper) on a flat table, turned it 90 degrees and whacked it again.

The wrinkles ran down my pipe like Nora batty's stockings and fell off the end.

I think the tool above is better but the whacking method worked well.

Roger